PDA

View Full Version : Huntington beach, 2/11

Tubbytuba
02-12-2013, 01:29 PM
AO- between the santa anna river mouth and the talbert channel.
Gear- 12 ft BnM crappie rod, 8 pound p-line Floroclear, spottie special bighammers with treble hook stinger hooks. 5wt fly rod, sinking line, 6lb floro with home tied clouser minnows.
time 0600-1200
temp- 47F low and 60F high
i managed to get a day off on Monday, and decided to get in a surf session. conditions were rough all day. surf was heavy, water was cold and none of the other fishermen were having any luck here. i busted out my 12ft crappie pole, and figured i'd have to coax these fish into biting with some finesse. i fished about an hour and no bites. i could feel the contours on the bottom with this crappie stick, super sensitive setup. i finally had a bite at around 0800 exactly the midpoint between the two channels. very subtle bite, would have missed it on any other outfit. i nail this fish, and fought him in. short hali, 14 inches or so (i didn't tape him, whats the point on a pancake). he had just barely bit the tail of my big hammer, and i had him hooked on the lip with my added trailer hook. jeeze, finicky fish. i played around with my 5wt after that, and managed to land a nice BSP. over all a tough day but i'm happy to have broke in my new crappie rod. it doesn't cast 1/4 ounce weights any further than my other gear, but it is the most sensitive stick i have ever used, 65 bucks well spent. still hunting the for legal number one.

Good Hunting

bachiboy
02-12-2013, 02:09 PM
Really nice work in tough conditions! I was looking at those long crappie rods at BPS...thought they might make a good (light) surf stick. Way to go on the pancake and the perch on the whippin stick!:Wink:

Thanks for the report...I'm sure the report on your first legal will be coming soon!
Don

Wingnut
02-12-2013, 05:04 PM
Been quite some time since I took the fly gear to the surf. You gave it a good effort, nice job on the short Hali. :Big Grin:

SP Dan
02-12-2013, 06:40 PM
I've never tried that kind of a fishing set up.....it sounds like a lot of fun tho!
Congrat's on the pancake......at least you beached one during these tough times! WTG!!
Thanx for the fish report!
SP Dan <"))><

peanutbutter
02-12-2013, 06:45 PM
i too wanna try fly fishing in the surf
and nice job getting the pancake in the rough conditions

dlmoo312
02-12-2013, 07:29 PM
That's a long fishing pole:Shocked:
Nice going on the hali and perch! It's cool to hear that you got it on the stinger hook
Thanks for the report!

-Daniel

bowler
02-12-2013, 10:01 PM
i too wanna try fly fishing in the surf
It is fun, the first and only time I did it in the surf I got a short halibut.