PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from Hemet

EL JEFE
02-12-2013, 06:24 AM
Hello all...
I'm new to freshwater fishing. I have fished saltwater along the So. Cal coast for many years. Owned several boats for 32 years [sailboats (taught sailing at CSULB while a student there), Skipjack flybridge sportfisher, alum skiffs, and a few others]. Moved to Hemet 13 years ago, before DVL opened. Been on the lake a few times and have never been skunked, even with my limited skills!!! All LMB from 1-4 lbs.

Now, with a couple of young boys (13 and 8), gas prices what they are, distance from ocean, and cost to run a saltwater fishing boat......I am looking at a pontoon boat for taking my boys and friends out to local lakes, especially DVL because it is so close to home. I seem to prefer striper, cats, and trout....not much of a bass guy. Perhaps, because I like to eat what I catch!

Been reading several posts here on FNN and there is a wealth of knowledge here! Great camaraderie too!

My hopes are to learn as much as I can from others and share what I learn.

Hope to see you all out on the lakes!

TUNAVIC
02-12-2013, 09:12 AM
Welcome, your boating experience sounds like mine,largest boat I've owned was a 25' Tiara,and now have a 18' C/C,with a few in between.
I really understand what you mean about gas prices,even my small skiff it's over a hundred bucks to fill with gas and fish local ocean spots.
I too have considered rigging it for freshwater fishing,trolling motor ect,I think I can get 2-3 trips F/W compared to one S/W.
Pontoon definitely sounds cool for local lakes, I've fished DVL many times in a toon,pretty sweet.

Cya TunaVic

Wingnut
02-12-2013, 09:13 AM
Welcome, glad to have you on board. :Cool:

5150fishn
02-12-2013, 10:15 AM
Welcome to the site!