PDA

View Full Version : Stuck with LC's this weekend need some advice/help on loc

Wreched
02-11-2013, 11:11 AM
Hey my fellow fishermen,

So my g/f and I hit the surf this weekend and just stuck to the hard baits, strictly LC's I told her that we might not catch anything but we gotta just be patient with it. a few cast and working the beach hard, she snaged a piggy, litteraly snaged it on the stomach of that BSP. I was like oh man, a few cast later i snag one on its head. So i think they are actually trying to hit these things:???::???::???: So after working the beach hard going south and my g/f determind to get the big one I called it. Actually poseiden wasnt to happy yesterday and knocked her over on the surf, lucky we werent on the jetty or it would of been bad news bears, so thats when I called it. T'was kind of rough. but all in all i guess the LC's kind of worked:Confused::Confused:

So my question is, ive been tossing these things here and there to catch Hali's but I am confused as to wear i should be tossing these things. I know on the forum people say jetty, structure, structure and more structure. If i were along side of a Jetty am i casting right next to it? and how far past the Jetty should I be. Also location I am just baffeled as to where to locate these things, I was at will rogers yesterday and we were next to the Jetty and just working the beach and nothing. I live in santa monica so I am very very close to MDR, PDR, Santa monica bay, Malibu Bay, I am just so baffeled on location and where to hunt and what to look for. ANy advice or help or tips tricks anything. I am not looking to steal somones spot and claim reign to it, I am just at a loss and need to be steered on the right path, hahaha I am a hopeless surf fishermen hahaha. Any ways guys thanks for the read and lets see whats in stores next week.

bsp
02-11-2013, 01:39 PM
Most important thing is time on the water. I started halibut fishing when knowledge was very scarce on the subject, and it was incredibly valuable to spend the effort piecing it together. It will take you a few months to build the knowledge up. Sadly, there is no magical way to go out and catch halibut on every trip to a true surf environment. Skunks are part of the equation and when you're learning there will be many more skunks than productive trips. The areas you listed ALL hold halibut at one point or another. Time on the water learning each spot's nuances will help you identify what conditions to look for.

Don't get discouraged! This time of year is far from ideal, so while there are people sticking them your chances will go up starting late March when the flatties start coming shallow to spawn. Keep getting out there and you'll be rewarded!

Read this article I wrote. It should help you with your structure question. http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?41562-Surf-Fishing-for-Halibut-101

Feel free to PM any of the SWAT guys with questions since all of them are fantastic resources.

Best of luck!

Marc aka bsp

DockRat
02-11-2013, 05:11 PM
Skunks are part of the equation and when you're learning there will be many more skunks than productive trips.
Yuuuup !
The dreaded skunk. Everybody gets skunked. Most guys that put up reports with nice legal halibuts don't always report on skunks. :Embarrassed:
Got off work early yesterday and fished a deep eel grass rocky hole that always produces at minus tide.
This spot has produced, calicos, legal butts, sharks and always lobsters
(released). Yesterday NOTHING, 3 hours and not a nibble, tossing anchovies.

Your lure needs to be on, or close to the bottom. When your fishing on a jetty with a LC your probably not getting it deep enough. Being on a jetty will raise your elevation too and work against you. You would be better off with a Kroc, bait, or drop shot. If your in the surf casting next to a jetty then that is a different story. Mid winter is tough too.
Good luck, DR

Wreched
02-12-2013, 06:06 PM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the support/tips I guess i just gotta be patient and really really just know that skunks on the elusive fish is inevitable. Sorry for not so quick response. I am headed out again this weekend and will try and try till i land and when i do its going to get tapped and posted!!! haahah. thanks again guys.

bones
02-13-2013, 03:58 PM
I don't think you are doing anything wrong. Remember.....you are hunting halibut with a hardbait during the WINTER!
During the winter months halibut fishing can be real slow and hit or miss. Flatties won't be up in the surfline when there is not any bait holding there for them to eat. Also during the winter the halibuts metabolism slows way down and their need for food diminishes as well. This is why you don't see many halibut reports during the colder months.
That being said......
The preggo perch will be giving live birth over the next two months and our first schedualled grunion run is supposed to happen on March 11th. These two annual events usually puts the halibut as well as many other species on the chew in a zone where they can be targeted with a hard bait on a more consistant basis.
Also watch the water temps as our days grow longer and keep a look out for our first southern hemisphere swell to impact our coastline.
Have a little patience and you will be rewarded. There are some real big perch out there right now so I've just been having fun catching 30 to 50 piggies on UL tackle until the spring fling gets underway!