PDA

View Full Version : Skunk at SARL

MasterFisherYY
02-10-2013, 12:30 AM
Well went out today with a group of about 9 beginners eager to actually catch fish and ditched out tons of money to swap out new line only to come home empty handed. Probably lost all credibility at my school now not to mention permanently scarring the sport of fishing at my school. Thanks for the overly exaggerated report :)

blakeb
02-10-2013, 07:53 AM
Sorry to here that man the lake is a Great Lake I got a bunch of buddies who go every week and limit out also speaking for my self it all depends on the fish the day the weather Ur bait maybe it's not the lake good luck out there don't give up after one time

Stalker Of Fish
02-10-2013, 02:20 PM
All 9 of U skunked WTF!!!!

Joefish
02-10-2013, 02:28 PM
Sorry to here bro. When I fish there, I usually have a good Day.But, I just wanted to know, what were you guys using, such as bait? And did you fish on-boat or on-shore. I'm just wondering because they stocked fish this week and they should have a good amount of fish swimming around.

luckyjr21
02-11-2013, 08:35 AM
Too bad about the skunk, but we all have plenty of those under our belt , IM NOT saying I limit out every time i go there which is at least 4 times a month but I usually do well there . you have to keep changing it up till you find what they want :Dead Horse: mice tails , worms , nightcrawlers , powerbait, kasmasters spons and the list goes on on , plus casting distance and leader lengths and the big one location if your not getting bit MOVE !!!! I was there on Saturday and got my limit with a nice 5lb kicker that put on a nice air display :Big Smile: AFTER we moved to cris pond .

sandtrout
02-12-2013, 04:12 PM
Too bad about the skunk, but we all have plenty of those under our belt , IM NOT saying I limit out every time i go there which is at least 4 times a month but I usually do well there . you have to keep changing it up till you find what they want :Dead Horse: mice tails , worms , nightcrawlers , powerbait, kasmasters spons and the list goes on on , plus casting distance and leader lengths and the big one location if your not getting bit MOVE !!!! I was there on Saturday and got my limit with a nice 5lb kicker that put on a nice air display :Big Smile: AFTER we moved to cris pond .

Sooooo true! Gone are the days where you can set up at several spots (levitz corner, by the pipes at the Kid's Pond, the pump house, the bubble hole, and the pump house) and sit and soak bait for an easy limit, unless you can luck into a spot close to where they stock. Sitting and soaking is starting to equal a skunk more and more. Be prepared to work the water and to move often. The fish ain't sitting around...why should you?

WAHBAM
02-12-2013, 05:17 PM
I've got skunked there with my gf. Embarrassing day for me haha. Everyone around me caught something. Were all you guys using the same methods?

Fishing Grizzly
02-12-2013, 07:04 PM
I think there's more to it than just bad luck. I have been fishing SARL for over 20 years and I have never seen the fishing so slow. Fishing for trout is not brain surgery, carolina rig, light line , change leader sizes and cast to different depths. Last week I tried all the commercial baits and the old school ones including velveeta, salmon eggs and marshmallows all dipped in various $8 bottles of gravy's, sauces and dusts. I also threw the full arsenal of lures at them, all to put three 1lb dinks in the basket. I know the fishing can be great there but I have a feeling you have to pull in right behind the stocking truck for the wide open bite this year.

P.S On the positive side, the water is much cleaner now.

flyhigh123
02-13-2013, 10:10 AM
Remember that sarl is a fresh lake this year. It's not an established lake with an established sand bed. They just moved back from Anaheim to sarl so I think that makes the fishing different.

As the sand bed is established nitrifying bacteria start to grow so I would guess it makes the water much better and less stressful on the fish.

I went on sat and picked up 2 on the tube for a quick 3 hour session.

luckyjr21
02-13-2013, 12:40 PM
I believe the changes to the lake has improved shore fishing , I have shore fished a few new place with good results , But on the other hand i have been doing much more tubing and was surprise to have wide open action right in the middle of the lake , I remember thinking "what heck are they doing here??" Just goes to show you that the fish are always on the move!!

jaggerbub
02-13-2013, 12:50 PM
I've still been doing well fishing my normal method at sarl. I haven't noticed much difference in the bite pattern. I normally limit out pretty easily. Shoot me a pm if u need some tips. Been fishing that lake for years and it's not that hard to catch fish there. lol

Fishing Grizzly
02-13-2013, 02:46 PM
I miss the days when by noon my legs were tired from running back and forth to my rods because the bite was so consistent. I really don't understand this moving around to find the fish thing, the lake is small, if they are roaming like people say why not just stay put? eventually they will make their way back to your bait. Especially in Chris's Pond. SARL is a put and take pay lake, there shouldn't be much problem for anyone to limit out. I have gone the last 3 Fridays in a row and Thursday before that so i'm just sharing my observation, which is a lot of dangling lifeless indicators and people taking naps in their car.

jaggerbub
02-13-2013, 02:55 PM
I dont get the roaming thing either. I fish my usual spot and I stay there... I personally don't like to fish with the weekend crowd so i've been going out either sunday nights or weekdays. Still plenty of fish in there, and still get a limit. No need to chase the truck on stocking day in my opinion.

TroutMerc
02-14-2013, 01:52 AM
With the new pumps and clean water at SARL, I HAVE noticed that a few of the "good shore spots" have been a bit slower compared to last year. I normally tube the lake now these days but when I shore fish, I rarely move around to find the fish. However, I have been successful in landing limits faster when I do move around. Sometimes just 20 feet over to the left or right does the trick. Also Like Luckyjr21 said about bait, keep changing it up. Leader length, try one rod at 6-10" and the other at 17-24". Sometimes they hang around a bit higher in the water column. Don't give up! Good luck out there!

Stalker Of Fish
02-14-2013, 04:36 AM
Here is my take on Santa Anna and Corona . I usually do well at both lakes . I have been skunked maybe 5 times in the last 10 years fishing at least once a month to two times a month average Trout season and 3 times a month during June through October .

Pay Lake Scenario #1):

If I am not catching A fish every hour or two or more importantly not seeing even a bite or a nibble . I either take out the Binoculars and scan the lake or more likely I take a walk and make an Angler survey searching for stringers if none are seen
I will ask the person or group if they caught fish or if not any bites . I don't ask what they are using I don't want to know
Face it there is a limited number of possibilities bait or lure types and even less ways of rigging . I simply want to figure it out myself it's my "pay lakes" rule . Now if I see people with fish on stringers or making pole dashes or rod rips and I am empty handed then IT"S ON ME! I am simply not doing something right. This can mean I am not in a good place, rarely though as I am familiar with the lakes high or low, rain or shine clean or dirty etc .
Things change I know but familiarity and regularity if maintained, limit this cause of failure greatly .

Besides I know the schoolies are going to keep circling and moving around these two tiny pay lakes and sooner or later they are going to come by. The noteworthy exception I have found to the "pay lakes Schoolie rule" is the ''uncaring/ignorant adult with 3 to 6 kids rule" meaning the parents or neighbor that brought these little ones has no skill set for fishing so kids get bored and start throwing rocks and everything else that soars well into the lake . Two options here,
try and show them the way albeit hard to be convincing when you are not catching fish yourself so it may be better to make a move with a few words of encouragement and advice as you are leaving .

Pay Lake Scenario #2)

I get no fish , no bites , no nibbles for an hour or two . I have already been scanning off and on with my binoculars seeing no fish generated excitement only an abundance of frowns and or scowls It's time for the Angler Survey.
I make the walk nobody has fish visible , I ask here and there if anyone has caught fish or had a good bite even . My questions are returned with either:
a) heads hung down low in the "there went my manhood" look of shame .
b) the "angry you better be on your way, no fish and I am drinking beer at 7:00 a.m. gaze".
c) The " primal no fish , no beer and I am counting my neighbors every sip death stare " In which case it's another time to
move on . Angler Survey questions not necessary ,or recommended !

Scenario #1) I am doing something wrong the fail is on me !

Scenario #2) It's not anyone's fault! . Somethings up! Fish are either not biting possibly because of :
a) water issues ie. temperature , turbidity , oxygen levels etc.
b) they are full from eating some type of forage
c ) hatchery Trout transportation problem of some kind . Rough Ride ? Who knows ? Come back another time !

Scenario#3)

The one exception to my "Pay Lakes" I don't care what you/they are using rule .

My self and others are slaying fish with impunity . I see any child's sad or dejected I am not having a good time because I can't catch a fish look or tears . It's the time to ask gently what are you using ? Tell them or even better yet give them
what they need and show them how to be successful with it. Wait for a fish to be caught by the soon to be happy child .
SKUNK BROKEN ! You leave pay lake feeling better than you did last month with that double digit Shamoo in your cooler .

etucker1959
02-14-2013, 06:30 AM
Here is my take on Santa Anna and Corona . I usually do well at both lakes . I have been skunked maybe 5 times in the last 10 years fishing at least once a month to two times a month average Trout season and 3 times a month during June through October .

Pay Lake Scenario #1):

If I am not catching A fish every hour or two or more importantly not seeing even a bite or a nibble . I either take out the Binoculars and scan the lake or more likely I take a walk and make an Angler survey searching for stringers if none are seen
I will ask the person or group if they caught fish or if not any bites . I don't ask what they are using I don't want to know
Face it there is a limited number of possibilities bait or lure types and even less ways of rigging . I simply want to figure it out myself it's my "pay lakes" rule . Now if I see people with fish on stringers or making pole dashes or rod rips and I am empty handed then IT"S ON ME! I am simply not doing something right. This can mean I am not in a good place, rarely though as I am familiar with the lakes high or low, rain or shine clean or dirty etc .
Things change I know but familiarity and regularity if maintained, limit this cause of failure greatly .

Besides I know the schoolies are going to keep circling and moving around these two tiny pay lakes and sooner or later they are going to come by. The noteworthy exception I have found to the "pay lakes Schoolie rule" is the ''uncaring/ignorant adult with 3 to 6 kids rule" meaning the parents or neighbor that brought these little ones has no skill set for fishing so kids get bored and start throwing rocks and everything else that soars well into the lake . Two options here,
try and show them the way albeit hard to be convincing when you are not catching fish yourself so it may be better to make a move with a few words of encouragement and advice as you are leaving .

Pay Lake Scenario #2)

I get no fish , no bites , no nibbles for an hour or two . I have already been scanning off and on with my binoculars seeing no fish generated excitement only an abundance of frowns and or scowls It's time for the Angler Survey.
I make the walk nobody has fish visible , I ask here and there if anyone has caught fish or had a good bite even . My questions are returned with either:
a) heads hung down low in the "there went my manhood" look of shame .
b) the "angry you better be on your way, no fish and I am drinking beer at 7:00 a.m. gaze".
c) The " primal no fish , no beer and I am counting my neighbors every sip death stare " In which case it's another time to
move on . Angler Survey questions not necessary ,or recommended !

Scenario #1) I am doing something wrong the fail is on me !

Scenario #2) It's not anyone's fault! . Somethings up! Fish are either not biting possibly because of :
a) water issues ie. temperature , turbidity , oxygen levels etc.
b) they are full from eating some type of forage
c ) hatchery Trout transportation problem of some kind . Rough Ride ? Who knows ? Come back another time !

Scenario#3)

The one exception to my "Pay Lakes" I don't care what you/they are using rule .

My self and others are slaying fish with impunity . I see any child's sad or dejected I am not having a good time because I can't catch a fish look or tears . It's the time to ask gently what are you using ? Tell them or even better yet give them
what they need and show them how to be successful with it. Wait for a fish to be caught by the soon to be happy child .
SKUNK BROKEN ! You leave pay lake feeling better than you did last month with that double digit Shamoo in your cooler .

Nice story!!!!!