PDA

View Full Version : February 4-5, Halibut attack and 1st Legal of the Year

PTN
02-09-2013, 12:36 PM
I decided to go out to my honey hole for halibut to catch my first hali of the year. Surf conditions had big swells and cold water so I'm waiting until it warms up a bit and stayed dry. Got to my AO and air temp was about 60 and water temp was a little under 57. Outgoing low tide and water clear with little current movement. This was the case for both days I went as I like this spot at low tide. I didn't see any bait at all and my first hour I had casted many times and trying different retrieves.

I was gifted with a lure from Wingnut and decided that this could be good luck and hopefully he passed some of his fishing mojo to me :LOL:. After the first hour and constantly casting and moving, I finally get a big hit and knew this fish would be of good size. The fish put up a good fight and it didn't feel like a hali at first. I forgot how it felt to catch a hali but it felt great to finally get this fish in. My guess for the size of the fish was overestimated :Surprised:. I thought it was going to go about 30 but when I got it in, it came out to 22 1/2. Used my new and cheap fish gripper my girlfriend got for me from last christmas to grab the fish:Smile:.

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc484/ptfishing/02-04-13/LegalHali_zps0cff1727.jpg

She hates it when I handle fish with my hands because she thinks of all the parasite or bacteria will get me sick :Embarrassed:. So I obliged in using it and plus the fish gripper helps me from handling the fish too much. I'm able to control the fish without putting it on any rocks or having the fish flop around and hurting itself. The gripper made it so much easier to remove the hooks from the fish and landing the fish. Hands clean and fish safely released :Big Grin:. That's my review for the fish gripper.

Continued on to fish and stoked and ended up catching 4 more halibuts. They were all about the same size from 18-20 inches. Even snagged a small bat ray which wasn't fun pulling the hooks off it. Here are some more pictures of the halibuts I caught:

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc484/ptfishing/02-04-13/IMG_0546_zps4892fc59.jpg

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc484/ptfishing/02-04-13/IMG_0548_zps3f5d052b.jpg

I don't put the fish down anymore and keep them over or in the water if I know it's not a fish I want to measure. Usually can eyeball if the fish will be legal or not.

I came back the next day and hoped that my fishing luck will be the same as the day before. (BTW thanks for the fishing mojo Wingnut :Big Grin:). I did have the same luck and ended up catching 5 total for the day and farmed two which I loss right in front of me. I caught 3 hali's in one spot I kept casting which made them seem like they were the same fish. All of them ranged from 17-21 inches this time.

Sorry for the late report but here it is and hope everyone good luck out there. Also happy Chinese/Vietnamese New Years!

connordoyle
02-09-2013, 12:54 PM
Nice job!

I wish I had the slightest clue where to catch some halibut.

bachiboy
02-09-2013, 02:01 PM
Nice flatfish assault Peter! That's quite an achievement for the time of year and water temps. Hope this is a sign of things to come and looking forward to fishing with you again soon sometime.

Congrats on the legal!!!
Don

Wingnut
02-09-2013, 02:23 PM
Chúc Mừng Năm Mới Peter, Happy Vietnamese New Year to you and yours my friend. :Big Grin:
Thanks for the heads up on the spot and bite... I need to get my first legal, only been out there twice this year. :Neutral:
Congrats on your first legal Hali of the year. :Thumbs Up:
Let's fish together soon! If you're interested in coming to the S.W.A.T. get together on the 24th, let me know. :Wink: :Secret: :Cool:

murrieta angler
02-09-2013, 03:18 PM
Sweet sessions Peter...:Smile:
Congrats on your first flatty this year.
Hopefully this will be a stellar year for everyone hitting the salt...:Cool:
Thanks for the report and with Arthurs invite, maybe I will see you in a couple of weeks.
Robert
<><

dlmoo312
02-09-2013, 05:34 PM
Looks like an awesome couple of outings! Way to go on your first legal of the year!
Most of the reports lately have been nothing but perch, but here you are with two multi-halibut days:Envious:
I'm in the market for a lip gripper. How would you rate the durability/reliability of the one you are using?
Thanks for the report Peter!

-Daniel

bones
02-09-2013, 06:14 PM
Chúc Mừng Năm Mới

I think the redneck translation is "I'll have a bowl of questionable meat Pho" ......... JK:ROFL:

Everytime I say that Peter ......I cough up a fur ball:ROFL:

Great job on that Legal and multiple flattie days and of course........ Happy New Year !

------<><

Lightline
02-09-2013, 06:19 PM
Congrats!!

Why you steal my lip grippers?

You guys are killing me with these report of legals.

Making get itchy and boiling with halibut anger....:Evil::Twisted:

bloox8
02-09-2013, 07:26 PM
Wow man! Congrats on the multi-butt days Peter! Its hard enough catching one halibut :UDaMan:
Those Wingnut-blessed LCs are no joke!.. You can't explain it but somethings up with those :LOL:
Thanks for the heads up. I have to get out there and say hello to some of those halibuts before they disappear again.

Happy New Years!

Thien

peanutbutter
02-09-2013, 08:14 PM
nice legal
is your whole spool filled up with braid or how is your line set up for throwing the lc

PTN
02-11-2013, 01:43 PM
Nice job!

I wish I had the slightest clue where to catch some halibut.

Thanks CD. Took me awhile to hone in on where halibuts will hang around regularly. Almost any spot with structure will hold halibuts especially jetties.

Nice flatfish assault Peter! That's quite an achievement for the time of year and water temps. Hope this is a sign of things to come and looking forward to fishing with you again soon sometime.

Congrats on the legal!!!
Don

Thank you Don. Hope to see you on the water soon :Smile:

Chúc Mừng Năm Mới Peter, Happy Vietnamese New Year to you and yours my friend. :Big Grin:
Thanks for the heads up on the spot and bite... I need to get my first legal, only been out there twice this year. :Neutral:
Congrats on your first legal Hali of the year. :Thumbs Up:
Let's fish together soon! If you're interested in coming to the S.W.A.T. get together on the 24th, let me know. :Wink: :Secret: :Cool:

Thanks again Arthur and definitely interested in the get together :Big Grin:

Sweet sessions Peter...:Smile:
Congrats on your first flatty this year.
Hopefully this will be a stellar year for everyone hitting the salt...:Cool:
Thanks for the report and with Arthurs invite, maybe I will see you in a couple of weeks.
Robert
<><

Thank you Robert. :Smile:

Looks like an awesome couple of outings! Way to go on your first legal of the year!
Most of the reports lately have been nothing but perch, but here you are with two multi-halibut days:Envious:
I'm in the market for a lip gripper. How would you rate the durability/reliability of the one you are using?
Thanks for the report Peter!

-Daniel

Thanks Daniel. I really like the fish lipper a lot because its light and made out of plastic and inexpensive. Feels like this gripper will last me awhile and so far it's handled a legal hali without it slipping off. I'd really recommend it if you're look for a cheap one.

Chúc Mừng Năm Mới

I think the redneck translation is "I'll have a bowl of questionable meat Pho" ......... JK:ROFL:

Everytime I say that Peter ......I cough up a fur ball:ROFL:

Great job on that Legal and multiple flattie days and of course........ Happy New Year !

------<><

:LOL: Thanks Mike. :Smile:

Congrats!!

Why you steal my lip grippers?

You guys are killing me with these report of legals.

Making get itchy and boiling with halibut anger....:Evil::Twisted:

Thanks Lightline. I like these grippers :Cool:

Wow man! Congrats on the multi-butt days Peter! Its hard enough catching one halibut :UDaMan:
Those Wingnut-blessed LCs are no joke!.. You can't explain it but somethings up with those :LOL:
Thanks for the heads up. I have to get out there and say hello to some of those halibuts before they disappear again.

Happy New Years!

Thien

Thank you Thien. Good luck out there! :Smile:

nice legal
is your whole spool filled up with braid or how is your line set up for throwing the lc

Thanks PB. I fill my whole spool up with braid tied directly to the LC. A cheaper way would be to fill up the backing with mono and then rest braid because braid tends to cost a bit more. I rarely see even half my spool go out :LOL:

SP Dan
02-11-2013, 02:08 PM
Hi ya Peter,
Congratulations on beaching your first legal Hali of the year!
Thanx for the fish report with pic's.
SP Dan <"))><

Jaysuuun
02-12-2013, 01:44 AM
Peter, congrats on your first legal of the year. Those plastic grippers look like a good idea. My boga seems to get all gritty on every outing so I always have to clean it and spray it down with WD-40 all the time. I would imagine those are much more corrosion resistant. Is that the smelt pattern you got on? I just picked up the new flashpointer in that same pattern. Congrats on the multi-flattie day.