PDA

View Full Version : Best Fishing Net (suggestions?)

VineVideos
02-08-2013, 02:40 PM
I know this thread has come up before. But I have a question.
I have had issues now with three landing nets I have used. One I got from Fisherman's Hardware and had to return.
Another I just got from Sport Chalet and have had limited success.

The issue is hooks (especially treble hooks) getting all hung up in the net and taking time (sometimes seems like forever) to get out. I have even wound up having to cut a lure out of the net.

I am told that rubber nets are good. Problem is I don't want to purchase one on line because I don't know what I am getting. Also I need a long handled net because most of my fishing is from a pontoon.

I did hear that Bass Pro Shops has a good rubber net. But that's a long drive for me just to get a net. Also, I will be tempted to purchase a lot of other stuff while there (wifey might night like that).

Any ideas ??

Thanks,

Danny J.

Cadillyak
02-08-2013, 02:50 PM
I have had the same problem. Seems like while using those micro cranks, when the fish flops around in a net with small mesh holes, its a disaster. I've been snipping the trebels and replacing them. Not the best idea. I think if not a rubber net, then at least net with larger "mesh holes" should do a lot better. Seems as if those small trebels would be easier to untangle. just my .02 cents

Poxy Boggards
02-08-2013, 02:51 PM
Longfin in Orange has some ruber nets made by promar that are made for trolling. I have one and it works ok, just wish it had a deeper basket for the big boys. I usually take my old school big net just in case I catch a big one, and use the promar for the smaller fish to save time.

5150fishn
02-08-2013, 03:43 PM
Fisherman's Access in Brea off of Imperial usually has a good stock of rubber landing nets. I have bought several small ones for my yak ( that I keep losing in the water at the Vine) and I have a nice long handle rubber net that is plenty deep enough for the DD Trout.

Hometown
02-08-2013, 04:19 PM
I ordered an EGO rubber net on line I forget what company but the net is a little deeper than other rubber nets and it floats I really like it

JAG107
02-08-2013, 08:23 PM
bass pro has an excellent one, gold extendable handle and good black rubber net, and it is big. 30 bucks

OC ANGLER
02-09-2013, 12:55 AM
All above are good choices... I've been looking to pick a rubber net up as well for the same reason.. I've seen a couple good choices over at sports chalet with the promar brand. Fold up nice for storage but unfold and have extending arm so you could use as a short or long net. If I remember correctly $30

VineVideos
02-09-2013, 06:53 AM
Thanks guys!! Plenty of good ideas to ponder. Yes, I'm sure a rubber net is best for me. I borrowed one last week and that worked real well. Just need to find one with a longer handle.

Hopefully I will get this done before my next outing which will probably be next Wednesday or Thursday before I produce the next stocking video.

Thanks much and tight lines !!

DJ

TaperSteve
02-09-2013, 08:40 AM
Problem with rubber nets is they cost more, weigh more, and most of them are shallow (not good for DD's). I bought a net from Walmart thats made by Frabill. Cost about $17. Has a long handle and a wide/deep net for those DD fish. It's a regular net but it's coated so I rarely ever get trebles snagged up in it and when they do it's super simple to get out. Used to have the same style net they sell in the tackle shop and I agree those things are a nightmare. If your looking for a lightweight, cheap, wide/deep net that you don't have to drive all over So Cal to find I think you'd be more than happy with that Frabill net from Walmart.... and at under $20 you can't beat the price.

TS

P.A.W.
02-09-2013, 09:08 AM
I bought a coated net from Walmart and used it for a few months. Better but still had the hook tangles with a Lucky Craft jerkbait with 3 trebles on it. Back to Walmart and found a nice rubber net. I'll never look back.

pescadito
02-09-2013, 06:07 PM
I purchased an EGO net not too long ago and i love mine. They make one with a super long handle. It floats, and does have the rubber bag. It's quite the investment, but i really like mine. I think the longest handle they make is 48 inches at its shortest and i think extends to 100 inches.

FKNChristopH
02-09-2013, 07:30 PM
I bought one intended for bass fishermen off tacklers warehouse. Extends and I just used a pool noodle to ensure flotation if I dropped it. Deep and you've probably seen me use it in my video. I haven't seen or used the Walmart one that has been spoken of but I can vouch for mine and the durability. Used in fresh and salt. Hardly any trouble with trebles or any other hooks. Good luck Danny!

*shakka*

VineVideos
02-10-2013, 07:14 AM
I bought one intended for bass fishermen off tacklers warehouse. Extends and I just used a pool noodle to ensure flotation if I dropped it. Deep and you've probably seen me use it in my video. I haven't seen or used the Walmart one that has been spoken of but I can vouch for mine and the durability. Used in fresh and salt. Hardly any trouble with trebles or any other hooks. Good luck Danny!

*shakka*

Thanks so much Chris and others! I have some homework and shopping to do now. No excuses !!

"Put the JIGS out!"

DJ

ben0606
02-10-2013, 09:32 AM
I've got 4 nets with all the same problems, lost double digit fish multiple times cause the rubber net was too shallow, other net was too flimsy, coated net still tangles hooks. One thing that has decreased my net hooks and tangles is no matter what brand or model is when I net the fish, always leave him hanging as he has less force to flop. When you pull him out of the net, grab the fish from the very bottom and do not place him on the ground or boat cause he can flop more being on hard structure compared to hanging in the air. Think of it this way, if you're hanging in a huge net, how easy is it for you to move around compared to just standing on the ground.

Another thing is when me or my buddy is grabbing the fish we reach all the way in the net and don't pull the net up to us as it makes the net more vulnerable to hooks if the fish flops. Keep tension on your line as well if your using sinkers and leaders or keepers. Slack will leave them vulnerable as well.

All that has actually helped me having less problems with lures, hooks, and sinkers tangled in my net. Doing all that could of saved me from trying out so many types of nets and money.