PDA

View Full Version : Breaking out of the perch habit

bachiboy
02-08-2013, 12:48 AM
So, I had yet to beach anything other than a perch this year. I had made only a small handful of trips to the surf due to illness and work. Staying pretty local, I made a few runs on a few pigs but had yet to lay into something else...anything else.

Thursday morning, with a little tip from our commander, I went to the AO that had caught me my last legal of the year...which seemed SOOOO long ago.

The waves were moderate to small but the salad was a little heavier than I’d like. Word was that SOMEONE had pulled out a beast from here the day before...*cough* Daniel, Thien *cough*:Wink::Secret:

So, after dropping off my son at school, I made a late morning run on the beach. I noticed the water was a little dirty but waded into the drink...hopeful.

Three casts into the session, I tie into this little guy.

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/LEO_zps90c19dc0.jpg

Okay, the stink is off and it’s the first species other than a perch that I’ve caught this year. I proceeded down the beach with an LC for no more love and decided to switch to a dropshot. A few casts into it, I get a GOOD bump, but as luck would have it, I swing (probably a little too early) and come back with my fluke bit in half. I work the area for another couple of hours and after losing a couple of DS rigs decide to head back to the spot that I got the bump and hit it hard with the LC. A few casts into it, I hang what feels like a pretty good fish. I get a quick flash and I see silver and irredescent purple. I’m immediately thinking WSB! As it gets closer, I realize it’s a ghost of a different breed. A group of kids and parents that are on a field trip gather around a start taking pictures. It was really cool to see all the kids’ excitement.

I beach this nice 20” bean (my PB on an LC), took some glory shots, let the kids take some pictures and send it back to Poseidon with many thanks...

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/BEAN1_zps55fe0cf1.jpg

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/BEAN_measurement_zpsa9569680.jpg

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/BEAN_n_me_zps3f33bcef.jpg

Not exactly what I was hoping for, but a really nice bonus fish for the day...especially at high noon.

Here are some bonus picts of some previous sessions.

Some of the perch I had been laying into.

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/PERCH1_zpsce8fa278.jpg

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/PERCH2_zps6ddd3dbc.jpg

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/PERCH3_zps4e45fd4f.jpg

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/PERCH6_zps74331522.jpg

A nice bean I got on a dropshot right before Christmas on a weekend trip down south.

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/christmas_bean_zpsd0e5feaf.jpg

This is a lost baby sea lion. The house he’s hiding under is about 30-40 yards up above water’s edge. Not sure how he got up there...or how he was gonna get down. The resident was asking if I had some fish to lure him down but I told her I didn’t have any and that it might be better to call the DFG or Lifeguard to help him get back home.

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/SEAL_HOUSE2_zpsbceae7c2.jpg

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/SEAL_HOUSE1_zps283f3a45.jpg

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/SEAL_HOUSE3_zpscb82022e.jpg

Lastly, my brother gave me my nephew’s old Halloween costume for my son. My brother doesn’t fish and has no idea what SWAT is to the surf fishing community, but how fitting is this....

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/SWAT_boy_zpscf2d8a9b.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the read!
Don

iLLest
02-08-2013, 12:56 AM
wutcha doing up so late? go get some rest lol.
Sweet report, yeah the word of Daniel landing that beast went global haha. He set a pretty high standard for us to catch up to. :|
You managed a pretty nice variety of species, cant go wrong with that.
And that picture of the little one, that makes the perfect ending for a day of fishing.
Thanks for the post bro! Im starting to itch to hit the sand.

bones
02-08-2013, 06:23 AM
Don..... somehow I knew you would assault that beach ASAP. I had the same idea today but when I took a look at the SAMO bouy an hour ago the swell bounced up to 8ft and the swell timing went from 12s to 6s. When it comes to pea soup.........That spells disaster...LOL
Actually.......pretty much anywhere!
Yeah....I have been targeting big perch and I found a spot where it has been WFO on the slabs but I overdosed on them already. I was just talking to Arthur about all of those big sliders we keep on seeing at that AO and I told him that I want one on a legal hit artificial. The last time I caught a legal bean on a artificial was about 5 years ago at Doheny.
Good job my friend...I bet you thought you were hooked up to a nice flattie but I'll take a good drag burning bean any time.
Great report and pics my friend and that pic of your son.......priceless!
He even holds his rod like a AR15....LOL

skunked4life
02-08-2013, 07:23 AM
Nice job Don! Was that 2 beans on the LC that I saw? I guess my summer goal is the target an LC Bean! Hey that could be a new line of fishing clothing, LC Bean.

I think that it is time for the youngling to get out there with his dad and fish. I took my boy out to the harbor for the first time when he was 3. He is the mackerel king (can you tell from my avatar pic?). When the weather warms up, maybe we can do a father son fishing trip together with our little boys.

Thanks again.

peanutbutter
02-08-2013, 07:40 AM
fun read thanks and nice pb bean

connordoyle
02-08-2013, 07:46 AM
What a great session!

Awesome Job!

koifish
02-08-2013, 08:10 AM
Don
Nice report and congrats to the bean.

TUNAVIC
02-08-2013, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the report,quite an assortment there,they say there's been a lot of seal pups showing up sick on our coast line,said there not really sure why,even saw a picture of on a guy found one in a Parking lot,he put it in his trunk and called animal control,and when he got back to his car the seal had pushed the backseat down,and was now sitting on the dashboard!

Cya TunaVic

Fishbones
02-08-2013, 10:01 AM
great report, with even better out come, congrats on all species and keep up the surf slay.

blackwater
02-08-2013, 11:10 AM
That's a pretty decent session, congrats on the nice Bean.
That pic of your son is awesome. :Big Grin:
Hopefully the wife will cut me loose in a couple of weeks so I can meet up with you guys at the SWAT gathering. :Wink:

SP Dan
02-08-2013, 12:59 PM
Hi ya Don!
A very nice fish to break the streak of "lack of"!
Corbina on the LC.......I'm looking forward to my turn!
The pic of your son is priceless!

Thanx Brotha for the report w/ pic's! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

Wingnut
02-08-2013, 01:53 PM
Brother Don, wish I was in town to join you on the assault session.
Don't think I can fish this weekend either because of the Vietnamese New Year. :Neutral:
Nice session bro, awesome Winter Bean. :Thumbs Up: Everything is starting to look good out there. Hopefully we will have a strong Spring bite in the surf this year. :Wink:
Take care and I'll see you on the 24th at the "Gathering." :Big Grin:

saltman
02-08-2013, 08:08 PM
Don,

Congrats on your catch today. Thanks for the report Bro. See you on the 24th

Saltman..

PONTOON
02-08-2013, 08:34 PM
Brother Don,

Just when you think all you're going to get is perch look what happens! :Cool:

Good job out there and I'm looking forward to the northern trip. I'll see you there.

murrieta angler
02-09-2013, 10:14 AM
DUDE!!!
I didn't even get the connection when I first saw your Bean in the leader board...:Shocked:
Great job Don...:Envious:
Glad you're feeling better and things are getting back to normal.
I look forward to hitting the salt with you soon,
Robert
<><

PTN
02-09-2013, 12:51 PM
Nice bean on the LC Don! :Big Grin: Hope you get better and hope to see some more great reports from you.

-Peter

bachiboy
02-09-2013, 03:10 PM
wutcha doing up so late? go get some rest lol.
Sweet report, yeah the word of Daniel landing that beast went global haha. He set a pretty high standard for us to catch up to. :|
You managed a pretty nice variety of species, cant go wrong with that.
And that picture of the little one, that makes the perfect ending for a day of fishing.
Thanks for the post bro! Im starting to itch to hit the sand.

LOL! I could ask you the same thing. Funny how you can be up late and browsing the forum and watch guys post up a bunch of replies. Hope to see you up north in a couple weeks!

Don..... somehow I knew you would assault that beach ASAP. I had the same idea today but when I took a look at the SAMO bouy an hour ago the swell bounced up to 8ft and the swell timing went from 12s to 6s. When it comes to pea soup.........That spells disaster...LOL
Actually.......pretty much anywhere!
Yeah....I have been targeting big perch and I found a spot where it has been WFO on the slabs but I overdosed on them already. I was just talking to Arthur about all of those big sliders we keep on seeing at that AO and I told him that I want one on a legal hit artificial. The last time I caught a legal bean on a artificial was about 5 years ago at Doheny.
Good job my friend...I bet you thought you were hooked up to a nice flattie but I'll take a good drag burning bean any time.
Great report and pics my friend and that pic of your son.......priceless!
He even holds his rod like a AR15....LOL

Thanks Mike! Pretty funny, when the fish hit, I'm thinking flattie...I see the flash and purple tint and I'm thinking WSB (although I knew it woulda been a short). I never guessed bean. I've seen a lot of them in the past, but didn't see any of the sliders this time around, although the water was a little dirty. When I cast out, I was casting out as far as possible to get it past the mud to cleaner water. On my retrieve, I started burning it in when I thought that I was in the mud and that's when it hit. JerryG once said, "you want a bean to hit the LC, burn it in"...he was right. It was quite the pleasant surprise. Hope the flu is all out of your system and that you're getting some time out there.

Take care man!

Nice job Don! Was that 2 beans on the LC that I saw? I guess my summer goal is the target an LC Bean! Hey that could be a new line of fishing clothing, LC Bean.

I think that it is time for the youngling to get out there with his dad and fish. I took my boy out to the harbor for the first time when he was 3. He is the mackerel king (can you tell from my avatar pic?). When the weather warms up, maybe we can do a father son fishing trip together with our little boys.

Thanks again.

Thanks Ken! Actually it's my second on the LC, but the other bean that I posted was on a dropshotted fluke. That guy took me by surprise cuz I was two cranks away from lifting the rod and re-casting. :EyePop: I rewrote that part about not being a fisherman or knowing about SWAT. It was my brother that doesn't like to fish. My son has already got his feet wet and, hopefully, will catch the bug in full force soon. I'd really enjoy that father/son trip out. Like you said, once it warms a bit.

Till then...take care!

fun read thanks and nice pb bean

Thanks PB! Hope the tips I've been PM'ing you help out.

What a great session!

Awesome Job!

Thanks CD! Been enjoying your reports...keep it up!!!

Don
Nice report and congrats to the bean.

Thanks Cuong! Hope you get out there again soon and start wacking the flatties!

Thanks for the report,quite an assortment there,they say there's been a lot of seal pups showing up sick on our coast line,said there not really sure why,even saw a picture of on a guy found one in a Parking lot,he put it in his trunk and called animal control,and when he got back to his car the seal had pushed the backseat down,and was now sitting on the dashboard!

Cya TunaVic

:ROFL::ROFL: Can you imagine if that guy had left the keys in the car and the seal started driving away! Now that makes for a great image!:Wink:
Thanks for reading!

great report, with even better out come, congrats on all species and keep up the surf slay.

Thanks FB! Still need to find that first flattie of the year...but it'll come. Hopefully tomorrow!:Wink:

That's a pretty decent session, congrats on the nice Bean.
That pic of your son is awesome. :Big Grin:
Hopefully the wife will cut me loose in a couple of weeks so I can meet up with you guys at the SWAT gathering. :Wink:

Thanks man! You know, you could always go the expensive route to get to SB, like I did. Take the family for the weekend. It's costing me a good chunk for the hotel and will put a dent in my pocket when we go out to eat at the wife's favorite haunts...but at least I get to go to the gathering.:Wink: Hope you make it man...looking forward to finally get to meet ya in person!

Hi ya Don!
A very nice fish to break the streak of "lack of"!
Corbina on the LC.......I'm looking forward to my turn!
The pic of your son is priceless!

Thanx Brotha for the report w/ pic's! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

I'll trade you the bean on the LC for one of them stripers you got.:Wink: I get this feeling you won't need a trade...you'll get your own soon enough! Hope to see you out there soon!

Brother Don, wish I was in town to join you on the assault session.
Don't think I can fish this weekend either because of the Vietnamese New Year. :Neutral:
Nice session bro, awesome Winter Bean. :Thumbs Up: Everything is starting to look good out there. Hopefully we will have a strong Spring bite in the surf this year. :Wink:
Take care and I'll see you on the 24th at the "Gathering." :Big Grin:

I wish you were there too. I never seem to have enough time to cover all the ground I want when I go to that spot alone and I always feel rushed. Got lucky in the end though. Hopefully we can all get down there again soon and give it a proper assault. Hope you have a great Vietnamese New Year and we'll see you in a couple of weeks!

Don,

Congrats on your catch today. Thanks for the report Bro. See you on the 24th

Saltman..

Thanks Ram! We gonna have us some fun up there...looking forward to seeing all you guys!

Brother Don,

Just when you think all you're going to get is perch look what happens! :Cool:

Good job out there and I'm looking forward to the northern trip. I'll see you there.

Terry! Where ya been man? I keep thinking that I'm gonna run into you and John out there again. Always great to share the beach with you guys and looking forward to it in a couple of weeks!:Wink:

DUDE!!!
I didn't even get the connection when I first saw your Bean in the leader board...:Shocked:
Great job Don...:Envious:
Glad you're feeling better and things are getting back to normal.
I look forward to hitting the salt with you soon,
Robert
<><

Thanks Robert! It was kinda funny, I text Arthur about the bean and he PM'd everyone the updated leader board within a couple hours...beat me to the punch on letting everyone know, but was wondering if anyone was gonna question when that stat happened.:Wink: See you on the 24th man...good times ahead!!!

Nice bean on the LC Don! :Big Grin: Hope you get better and hope to see some more great reports from you.

-Peter

Thanks Peter! Got hit with a dang cold through the New Year, the flu a couple of weeks later and another cold a week or so ago. I worked and fished through this last cold but I think I finally got it licked...knock on wood. Hopefully I can stay healthy for a while so I can get more time in on the sand. Congrats on your latest conquest!!!:Thumbs Up: Hope we get a chance to fish together again soon!

jinbow
02-09-2013, 04:37 PM
Nice bean,especially when using the LC. How often do they attack the hardbait.:Secret: I see them cruising near the shore during the summer months a lot, but never even bother my 110.
Thanks for the report and pictures Don.
Hope that baby seal got back to where it belongs.

dlmoo312
02-09-2013, 05:29 PM
Congrats on the lc been Don!
There were plenty of small leos swimming around in the shallows when I was there. I even almost grabbed one by the tail that was swimming next to me lol
Thanks for the report!

-Daniel

bloox8
02-09-2013, 07:43 PM
Hey Don!

Congrats on breaking the single species streak! I've been only landing perch lately also and it would be nice to see something else (not saying that catching perch isn't fun or anything but.. you know!) Any who, thats a beautiful bean you got there. I hope I get to land one of those on an LC this year. I heard they put up quite a fight.
Thanks for the report. I'll see you on the surf soon!

Thien
P.S. I wonder what age your son is going to get the invitation at :Secret::Secret::Secret:

fishshep
02-10-2013, 05:40 PM
:Cool: report and nice catchin :Smile:

bachiboy
02-11-2013, 08:54 AM
Nice bean,especially when using the LC. How often do they attack the hardbait.:Secret: I see them cruising near the shore during the summer months a lot, but never even bother my 110.
Thanks for the report and pictures Don.
Hope that baby seal got back to where it belongs.

Hey Albert,
Those beans don't hit a hardbait very often. It's only the second I've ever gotten to strike. Seems like when there is an abundance of sand crabs, the chances really drop down to almost none. Went back yesterday and didn't see any sign of the seal, but who knows. Not sure if you recognized the house...it's where I keep running into you. :Secret::Wink: No luck at that AO, but there are some signs that it might start giving up some fish soon. Hope you're getting some time on the sand!

Congrats on the lc been Don!
There were plenty of small leos swimming around in the shallows when I was there. I even almost grabbed one by the tail that was swimming next to me lol
Thanks for the report!

-Daniel

Thanks Daniel! I usually see leos and beans swimming around there, but I only saw a couple of leos this time around...mostly cuz the water was a little dirty that day. Just give it a couple of months, then I want to see you reach down for one of the bigger models! :LOL:

Hey Don!

Congrats on breaking the single species streak! I've been only landing perch lately also and it would be nice to see something else (not saying that catching perch isn't fun or anything but.. you know!) Any who, thats a beautiful bean you got there. I hope I get to land one of those on an LC this year. I heard they put up quite a fight.
Thanks for the report. I'll see you on the surf soon!

Thien
P.S. I wonder what age your son is going to get the invitation at :Secret::Secret::Secret:

Thanks Thien! You guys have been putting in some time out there in the surf so I don't doubt you'll tangle with a bean sooner or later. They do fight really well, but this one kinda acted more like he didn't know he was hooked. :Wink: Looking forward to seeing you guys up north!

:Cool: report and nice catchin :Smile:
Thanks FS!

Jaysuuun
02-12-2013, 03:45 AM
Don, congrats on breaking the perch streak! It's always nice catching a variety of species.
That's a good sized bean on the LC. Congrats on the PB.

bachiboy
02-12-2013, 02:13 PM
Thanks J! Not quite as big as Tess' PB beast but definitely a nice fish. Hope the party plans are coming along well...and I hope that you and Tess can take a break and make it up north in a couple of weeks. Just wouldn't seem right without the "first couple" there.:Wink:

Take care...
Don