PDA

View Full Version : Laguna Niguel Feb 7th (from a boat)

allanon
02-07-2013, 03:19 PM
Decided to hit up LNL today. Really wanted to fish Wed but life sometimes gets in the way.

Good day, not much fishing pressure.
8 fish total for the day.

Arrived at the lake just before opening, was #4 in line.
Rented a boat and decided to try the inlet first.
I have gotten fond of the inlet as there are normally not too many boats in there so I get some solitude.

Anyways, bad decision today. :)
I did catch 2 fish by 730-800, but I knew the lake was fishing better in the flats, so hightailed it out of there.

So moving thru the flats with the fish finder on, and start detecting fish. Nice! It was a bit awkward as I wanted to keep a good distance from other boats, but also wanted to still be able to reach it.
Anyways,finally got the boat lined up and cast out. Fish on in about 5 minutes.
Was steady fishing in the spot for the next couple of hours (5 fish total from that spot).
I had 1 double hook up, and one hook a fish, and as I am releasing it, the other rod goes off. That was a good time. :)

I got 1 other casting out around me. Missed a few too.

Things got quiet around 1030 or so. Finally decided to move again to another spot in the flats, but no further bites. Had to come in at 1130 for the half day, so called it day.

There were two guys fishing flies and they were KILLING IT. Was nice to see the LNL fly bite happening again. (I remember it was like that last year, but this was the first time I have seen it this year.)

I estimate they probably C and R'd about 50 fish between the two of them.

For me, they were biting the micetails. White head Pink body mostly. Did catch one on the Red head, yellow body. Tried all different colors, but those were the ones that worked.
Caught 1 on powerbait (rainbow). All fish caught using bite on garlic....

Attached is powerbait fish I caught. Everything else was released.

Glad to see the bite at LNL back again. If I had time, I would have tried near the boat dock and the deeper water on the dam side of the lake, but half day was over, and needed to get home.
I'll bet there are fish on that side of the lake, oh well next time!

Tight lines everyone!

P.S. Forgot to mention - a steady shore bite today near the launch ramp in zone 4. Nice to see the shore bite come back too!

georatm2011
02-07-2013, 04:11 PM
Decided to hit up LNL today. Really wanted to fish Wed but life sometimes gets in the way.

Good day, not much fishing pressure.
8 fish total for the day.

Arrived at the lake just before opening, was #4 in line.
Rented a boat and decided to try the inlet first.
I have gotten fond of the inlet as there are normally not too many boats in there so I get some solitude.

Anyways, bad decision today. :)
I did catch 2 fish by 730-800, but I knew the lake was fishing better in the flats, so hightailed it out of there.

So moving thru the flats with the fish finder on, and start detecting fish. Nice! It was a bit awkward as I wanted to keep a good distance from other boats, but also wanted to still be able to reach it.
Anyways,finally got the boat lined up and cast out. Fish on in about 5 minutes.
Was steady fishing in the spot for the next couple of hours (5 fish total from that spot).
I had 1 double hook up, and one hook a fish, and as I am releasing it, the other rod goes off. That was a good time. :)

I got 1 other casting out around me. Missed a few too.

Things got quiet around 1030 or so. Finally decided to move again to another spot in the flats, but no further bites. Had to come in at 1130 for the half day, so called it day.

There were two guys fishing flies and they were KILLING IT. Was nice to see the LNL fly bite happening again. (I remember it was like that last year, but this was the first time I have seen it this year.)

I estimate they probably C and R'd about 50 fish between the two of them.

For me, they were biting the micetails. White head Pink body mostly. Did catch one on the Red head, yellow body. Tried all different colors, but those were the ones that worked.
Caught 1 on powerbait (rainbow). All fish caught using bite on garlic....

Attached is powerbait fish I caught. Everything else was released.

Glad to see the bite at LNL back again. If I had time, I would have tried near the boat dock and the deeper water on the dam side of the lake, but half day was over, and needed to get home.
I'll bet there are fish on that side of the lake, oh well next time!

Tight lines everyone!

P.S. Forgot to mention - a steady shore bite today near the launch ramp in zone 4. Nice to see the shore bite come back too!

Hey quick question Allen. Where were the fly guys fishing and were they on a boat? My brother justbought a fly rod and I want to redeem ourselves at the lake since our first experience was lousy . thanks

BigBass777
02-07-2013, 09:45 PM
Nice day out to be fishing before the incoming weather. Nice to hear LNL has biting fish again.

lazyfisherman
02-08-2013, 12:06 PM
Geo,

I think I know who Allen is talking about. Its two Japanese guys that fish Midges on a bobber on their fly rod. Measure the depth of the water you are in and set the bobber so that the midge is literally floating 6 inches off the bottom.

seal
02-08-2013, 12:31 PM
Geo,

I think I know who Allen is talking about. Its two Japanese guys that fish Midges on a bobber on their fly rod. Measure the depth of the water you are in and set the bobber so that the midge is literally floating 6 inches off the bottom.

Fly fisherman don't use bobbers they use indicators, lol.

allanon
02-08-2013, 04:26 PM
I am familiar with the Japanese guys that use midges, have chatted with them a few times last season. This was a different set of guys, and they did quite well.

First time this season I have seen the fly guys outfishing bait/lures and am glad for it. Its a (hopeful) sign that the LNL bite has returned.