PDA

View Full Version : Tube ?

Perris_holic
02-06-2013, 10:13 PM
I dont know if these are dumb questions but im thinking about getting a tube and was wondering about a couple of things. If you are in a tube is it possible to get a hole in it and sink? Do you need to wear a flotation device or is it even possible to wear one in a tube?

DotA
02-06-2013, 10:56 PM
I think some of those fish cat and other brands have more then one air cell, so if one goes down youll still float but yeah the vest is a regulation... Also good fins and lightweight waders are good to, most of the time the wind is the issue... Cheap fins and heavy waders will make hard to fight the wind.. there was this tuber at perris he had a single cell tube and extra heavy waders with boots attach and walk in fins. I ran into him at the parking lot he was an older dude, he was telling me how he got pushed to the middle of the lake and when he was out there his waders were leaking and he was in trouble , he tried to flag down few boats but none of them help .. but he said he was gonna quit tubing.

.:LOLLY:.
02-07-2013, 08:06 AM
Popping and sinking IS a possibility but I have yet to personally see it. I have gotten a few pin size holes here and there but nothing that made me sink. PFD are not always legally required, but just because it isn't enforced it doesn't mean you shouldn't have one... I wear a PFD and carry an air pump every time I tube.

oldschoolfishin'
02-07-2013, 08:55 AM
most of the newer tubes have more than one floatation device. i have a fishcat 4. two separate tubes, and a floatation seat. pfd is always a good idea. as for waders, after they fill up w water, they are a nearly neutral floatation. having said that, i have fished in a tube for 40+ years and have yet to sink, although the wind at crowley can be a pain to fight, ya just have to use it to put yourself where you can get out of the water. have fun.

Perris_holic
02-07-2013, 01:36 PM
So you keep your pump on ur tube? Thanks for the info guys. What fins and waders do you guys recommend.

02-07-2013, 05:20 PM
I have hodgman breathable waders and hot spot fins. Love the fins and the only thing I would change about the waders is getting one with the zipper down the front

Perris_holic
02-07-2013, 05:24 PM
Do the tubes come with rod holders or do you have to build that pvc pipe thing?

02-08-2013, 10:11 AM
The only rod holders I have seen that come with the tube are velcro straps that strap down your rods to the bladder of the tube. If you want anything different, you would either have to build or buy.

See Chris Fish
02-08-2013, 10:38 AM
California law states that you MUST have a PDF "readily accessible" and a "noise maker". http://www.dbw.ca.gov/Boaterinfo/LifeJacketinfo.aspx

I keep the PDF in the storage area in the front of the tube and a whistle attached to my waders. Some lakes will require waders, some not.
Try to fish with an experienced tuber the first couple of time out.

Never seen anyone sink. I've had a slow leak. No big deal. Got to shore with little trouble.
Oh, and enjoy yourself. Tubing is a lot of fun!!!

Perris_holic
02-08-2013, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the info guys. What tubes do you guys have?

Cadillyak
02-08-2013, 02:42 PM
Personally, I have an Outcast fat cat and love it. Also had a fishcat4 and really liked that one too. Next up, brand new Hobie PA 12 fully rigged (graduation present to myself).:Big Grin:

troutsniffer
02-08-2013, 02:48 PM
If your looking for a great tube and sweet rod rack I'll be posting mine for sale this weekend when I get the time. I just bought a boat and I doubt I'll be using my tube anytime soon. Plus I have an old back up tube that I can always bust out if I need too.
It was used for 2 months only and still looks mint. It's a lot of fun and light. Let me know if your interested. $100 for tube and $50 for the rack (comes w bungees). I bought the tube for 160 new.
I'm in Pomona

Perris_holic
02-08-2013, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the offer bro, but I think that Im going to look for a fishcat 4 or odc 420

LBSea
02-08-2013, 08:54 PM
Get a ODC420. It can carry 50 lbs more weight than the fish cat and is less money when on sale direct from creek co, which is often. The customer service is also top notch and PK is the one that handles any issues and has been there forever and has always taken care of me. Regarding your leaking bladder concerns I carry a 18" piece of tube that I can use to blow air into my bladders if needed without getting out of the water. Both OCD & Fish Cat have Boston Valves that allow air in without coming out. The problem with the Fish Cat, Fat Cat & the Prowler is the location of the valves are behind you and not easily reached on the water . The ODC valves are in the side pockets and very easy to access while on the water. My emergency tube has saved more than a few days on the water.

Perris_holic
02-08-2013, 09:04 PM
Yea ive been looking for a used odc 420 on the float tube fishing forum and on this site. I might just have to breakdown and get a new one

HBAR
02-08-2013, 09:32 PM
California law states that you MUST have a PDF "readily accessible" and a "noise maker". http://www.dbw.ca.gov/Boaterinfo/LifeJacketinfo.aspx

I keep the PDF in the storage area in the front of the tube and a whistle attached to my waders. Some lakes will require waders, some not.
Try to fish with an experienced tuber the first couple of time out.

Oh, and enjoy yourself. Tubing is a lot of fun!!!

a "PDF" huh Chris?
LOL yeah I know you meant PFD guess your fingers did the walking too fast?

mefishtoo
02-09-2013, 06:04 AM
highly recommend outcast brand, not cheap but has good reviews

Perris_holic
02-09-2013, 08:11 PM
My wife asked me what I want for valentines day and I told her I want a float tube.

bassfishing24/7
02-09-2013, 11:13 PM
highly recommend outcast brand, not cheap but has good reviews
X 2 FYI Perris holic outcast has replaced my faulty bladders on my fc4 completely free of charged shipped to my door w no questions asked except for them needing my shipping info.Odc will require u to ship ur faulty bladders back to recieve new bladders..kinda pain in the a** f u ask me...just my 02 C.

seal
02-10-2013, 01:21 PM
ODC420 better design, pockets, valve and the front end is longer making you feel more stable.

And really having to actually share your damaged equipment to prove that is is actually damaged is kind of the norm. If I wasn't such an honest dude I'd call Outcast and tell them my bladder was damaged just so I could have a spare, yes I own both tubes. Only other equipment I haven't had to send back to verify waranty was a pair of Hodgeman waders, in that case they required me to cut it up into pieces and send them pictures, pretty good idea.