PDA

View Full Version : Silverwood Lake

OCfishermen
02-06-2013, 01:59 PM
Im going up to Silverwood this weekend and i would really appreciate tips, i usually fish Cleghorn but everyone keeps telling to fish Millers cove and people said the stripers are biting but what are the best baits/lures for stripers?? thanks

seal
02-07-2013, 08:25 AM
People are telling you stuff that is not too accurate. Stripers biting, well kinda. Swimbaits are getting an occasional fish but it's hard work. If bait and wait is your deal then being in a boat and dropping deep would work but from shore, well not saying your not going to get one but it isn't going to be wide open to say the least. Your better off working the dock if bait and wait is your game you can hit deeper water.

Could be a good trout bite though.

It's still early for Silverwood to take off, cold water temps and a storm coming in this weekend will not get the warmer water fish going, yes stripers enjoy a good storm but with water temps they won't come up for any prolonged period.

GOOD LUCK!

TroutOnly
02-07-2013, 09:22 AM
the trolling out in the lake is going off, one of my pals has been killing it there, three and four times during the days they are open,,but you have the right tackle and know whats up or youre going to be in for a long day of skunk,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,,

OCfishermen
02-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the info, i really appreciate fishermen like you guys, I'm a young fishermen who likes to fish and I'm trying to get some of my friends into it so I'm trying to put them on some fish, so thanks for helping out, and i don't have a boat so I'm trying to decide whether to go fish off the dock or go to Miller Cove? any ideas would be appreciated. I'm an avid trout fisherman so i got that down but i could use some help with stripers, i've caught a couple of stripers, I'm buying anchovies for stripers but are there any other baits better than anchovies?? i just have a few questions about stripers like what depth should i fish at?? what pound test should i use for them?? what setup should i use?? thanks in advance! sorry for asking so many questions I'm just looking for some tips

flyhigh123
02-07-2013, 11:07 AM
if silverwood has not gotten a stocking lately, it could be a tougher bite for the trout. Good Luck!

OCfishermen
02-07-2013, 11:57 AM
It says they stocked on the 3rd

karlow
02-07-2013, 09:54 PM
Yep.
Trout is your best bet.
Like Bob said, The stripers are biting on the troll for those who have the know how.
The bait and wait died out a month ago as fare as I no.
If you are not one of the 10% at the wood, fish for trout or go home hungry.
It's that time of year. Last Sat, I was four for six on the troll up to 6.11lbs.
I think only two boats got any stripers that day. Trolling for them this time of year seems to be some type of specialty art.
I have managed a few the last two trips that I have been out. Joe and Bob have been killing them big time!
I hope I can get out there this weekend, I'm looking for a double D! I just finished a new squid rig! It's Striper killing time Boyz!
Hey Bob, Joe says that they are getting Bigger! Shite! I'm stepping up my game. I will be loading the 80Lb spec. then I can step up my leaders.
Joe broke off someone off on 30LB! Bob I got my first Double Double last week, I picked up the 6 and a 3 on the same rig Sweet!
Good luck BoyZ.
Bob I will see you on the water.

KP

flyhigh123
02-07-2013, 10:39 PM
i'm prob hitting the mid again, silverwood tends to take all my lures and rigs... especially that cove to the right where that random hump comes up

seal
02-08-2013, 07:40 AM
Think TO's posts of tailgate shots of stripers is missleading to some on this board. Most are not trolling U rigs or "squid" rigs. Quite a few prefer not to use that type of rig or don't have a boat or equipment like Bob said. So it's important to set expectations accordingly.

RMNV909
02-08-2013, 08:27 AM
Me and a few buddies are heading out to silverwood tomorrow but we are targeting the trout. weather looks to be clear as far as the rain goes but you will have some wind which if you've fished silverwood you've got expect it. Im not sure where any good spots for the trout are so maybe seal and any other silverwood vets can point me in the right direction.

it looks like we will be starting at cleghorn and i wanted to try miller canyon, but not sure if you can get to that spot with a vehicle or if we have to hike?

DEVOREFLYER
02-08-2013, 08:38 AM
Fishing requires a large investment and I am not talking about equipment but an investment of TIME. We now live in a society that lacks patience and wants instant gratification; most do not want to make the investment of time. It takes time to learn about the habits of the fish you are hunting for. Time to learn about the structure and topography of the body of water you are fishing. Time learning how to properly make a presentation to the fish you are stalking. Time learning how to properly use your equipment under all conditions you may face. Time to learn how weather, water temperature, water clarity, water levels changing, lunar cycles and barometer changes affect your chances for fishing success or failure. So many fish so little time. lol

seal
02-08-2013, 10:38 AM
Me and a few buddies are heading out to silverwood tomorrow but we are targeting the trout. weather looks to be clear as far as the rain goes but you will have some wind which if you've fished silverwood you've got expect it. Im not sure where any good spots for the trout are so maybe seal and any other silverwood vets can point me in the right direction.

it looks like we will be starting at cleghorn and i wanted to try miller canyon, but not sure if you can get to that spot with a vehicle or if we have to hike?

Trout might still be out deeper, not sure if they are heading towards the creeks inlets yet, haven't targeted them in a while, Miller is always a good spot to start for trout.

But don't let the weather forecast fool you, the snow EXPECTED today would probably shut the lake down at least half of Saturday, there are hills both into Cleghorn and the Marina so when it snows they normally close the park and if sunny the next day it will take 1/2 the day to melt. Of course you could hike in if you can find a place to park.

seal
02-08-2013, 10:39 AM
Fishing requires a large investment and I am not talking about equipment but an investment of TIME. We now live in a society that lacks patience and wants instant gratification; most do not want to make the investment of time. It takes time to learn about the habits of the fish you are hunting for. Time to learn about the structure and topography of the body of water you are fishing. Time learning how to properly make a presentation to the fish you are stalking. Time learning how to properly use your equipment under all conditions you may face. Time to learn how weather, water temperature, water clarity, water levels changing, lunar cycles and barometer changes affect your chances for fishing success or failure. So many fish so little time. lol

Wow the truth comes out! Hard damn work but very rewarding when you figure it out. Sometimes you know what to do but prefer a different approach, that's where I'm at right now my favorite bites are out of sync with weather and the cycle of life but I continue to take my beating and flog the water most days.

seal
02-08-2013, 10:40 AM
It says they stocked on the 3rd

They stocked on the 5th not the 3rd. The 3rd is the week listed on the DFW website not the day of the plant.

Stalker Of Fish
02-08-2013, 12:33 PM

I think everyone agrees on that ! But Fisherman could TAKE THE TIME to help each other out .The guy is asking about
basic equipment Line, rigging etc. . Is everyone in too much of a hurry or is everyone just keeping secrets .
The knowledgeable people could make it easier on new people but they don't . They figure they had to put in time to
learn how to fish so the next new guy also has to earn it like they did . I understand T.O. not giving detailed info because he is a guide and people should use his service if they want the fast route to quality info.

Not saying everyone is like this because Some have gave me great information on my local lake Skinner .
Line info,lures. rigging maybe depth should be passed out . I am not saying give out your favorite spots
but this board should be about teaching the next generations instead of just a place to brag about your latest catch .
Just sayin!

seal
02-08-2013, 01:23 PM
I think everyone agrees on that ! But Fisherman could TAKE THE TIME to help each other out .The guy is asking about
basic equipment Line, rigging etc. . Is everyone in too much of a hurry or is everyone just keeping secrets .
The knowledgeable people could make it easier on new people but they don't . They figure they had to put in time to
learn how to fish so the next new guy also has to earn it like they did . I understand T.O. not giving detailed info because he is a guide and people should use his service if they want the fast route to quality info.

Not saying everyone is like this because Some have gave me great information on my local lake Skinner .
Line info,lures. rigging maybe depth should be passed out . I am not saying give out your favorite spots
but this board should be about teaching the next generations instead of just a place to brag about your latest catch .
Just sayin!

What is missing on this thread? There are no secrets striper fishing is tough in the winter at Silverwood and unless OC Fisherman is into the swimbait deal then I have no other advice for him other than doing the bait and wait deal from the docks since he doesn't have a boat, if he was to rent or own a boat then there could be much more info. given that MAY increase his chances. Those of us that have been on a skunkathon chasing stripers from shore with swimbaits don't have any secrets right now, it's tough and that's been stated multiple times. Best bet to get on stripers is to hire TO and have him show you the lake from a boat, other than that it's trout fishing time and OC already has stated he is a master of the trout so not much more can be said other than what has been said.

I did notice one thing I didn't respond to, yes you have to hike to get down to Miller.

OCfishermen
02-08-2013, 01:30 PM

let me know how you do please and good luck!

rmnv505
02-08-2013, 02:08 PM
let me know how you do please and good luck!

I will do....probably will not report until monday. but will definitely let you know.

Good luck out there.

seal
02-08-2013, 02:23 PM
If you guys go up make sure and call the telephone number in the morning if you are going to be going into the park, it is snowing now and like I said typically the day after a snowstorm it won't open till at least half day, I've seen it go several days without opening.

If they are not plowing then you can always park on the road and hike down.

Good luck!

rmnv505
02-08-2013, 02:36 PM
If you guys go up make sure and call the telephone number in the morning if you are going to be going into the park, it is snowing now and like I said typically the day after a snowstorm it won't open till at least half day, I've seen it go several days without opening.

If they are not plowing then you can always park on the road and hike down.

Good luck!

Thanks seal, I called today after i read your post and spoke with Cathy. She said more than likely they should be open tomorrow, but does not know for certain. if its closed than like you said we are hiking it...im going fishing tomorrow no matter what! lol :LOL:

Stalker Of Fish
02-08-2013, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the info, i really appreciate fishermen like you guys, I'm a young fishermen who likes to fish and I'm trying to get some of my friends into it so I'm trying to put them on some fish, so thanks for helping out, and i don't have a boat so I'm trying to decide whether to go fish off the dock or go to Miller Cove? any ideas would be appreciated. I'm an avid trout fisherman so i got that down but i could use some help with stripers, i've caught a couple of stripers, I'm buying anchovies for stripers but are there any other baits better than anchovies?? i just have a few questions about stripers like what depth should i fish at?? what pound test should i use for them?? what setup should i use?? thanks in advance! sorry for asking so many questions I'm just looking for some tips

This is what I am referring to. He asks about baits , Depth, what pound test, and set up to use. Nobody answered him really .I do not fish there so I can not offer any help.
He wanted to know things.
Just sayin!

drifter023
02-08-2013, 07:14 PM
Have done good with trout at this time of the year with little castmasters at the end of miller where the creek comes in. But have not done these in awhile if they are there you will know was fishing 4# and take gold and chrome small castmasters hope you find them...

CALEB
02-08-2013, 07:15 PM
You can drive to the end of Miller Cyn. then you have to hoof it.
Go to pg.#5 in the attached. The map shows where you can take
Hwy. 138 to the turn off and drive to Serrano Beach.
Hope this helps.

http://www.sfvcca.org/Flyer.of.SFVCCA.Camping.Trip.2009.pdf

DEVOREFLYER
02-08-2013, 07:16 PM
If you are still planning to go to Silverwood tomorrow be advised that I live only 30 min from the Lake at 2480 ft elevation and at 7:00pm it is 28 degrees in my patio and has been snowing for 3 hours. It will be a tough and cold day tomorrow if you can get access, winds predicted 20+mph. Add in that the barometer has been falling and the present lunar cycle and it could be a long day of the skunk. Trout fishing try the marina, Stripers not at this time unless you troll from a boat with electronics and down riggers.

rmnv505
02-08-2013, 07:47 PM
If you are still planning to go to Silverwood tomorrow be advised that I live only 30 min from the Lake at 2480 ft elevation and at 7:00pm it is 28 degrees in my patio and has been snowing for 3 hours. It will be a tough and cold day tomorrow if you can get access, winds predicted 20+mph. Add in that the barometer has been falling and the present lunar cycle and it could be a long day of the skunk. Trout fishing try the marina, Stripers not at this time unless you troll from a boat with electronics and down riggers.

Craaap!! well thats not good. i would want to maybe try another lake but my buddy whos driving has his mind set on silverwood. hopefully its not too brutal.

DEVOREFLYER
02-08-2013, 08:01 PM
Craaap!! well thats not good. i would want to maybe try another lake but my buddy whos driving has his mind set on silverwood. hopefully its not too brutal.

Dress warm, layer up your clothing, waterproof boots, head cover and gloves. It will get into the teens overnight, watch for ice when driving the road in the morning.

seal
02-09-2013, 08:42 AM
When I left the lake last night at 5:00pm or so think I was the last to leave. Slip and slide all the way out, they were closing the park at that time unless you were camping I think. Luckily when I got to the highway a plow was going by and I pulled off let him go ahead so I could get good road on the way out, didn't want to pull over and put on chains for a short drive.

Stalker of fish, I didn't answer the question on line and bait method cause it's not my thing and also because it is NOT the time of the year for bait and wait from shore which was addressed. Your comments re: people bragging and not helping was missplaced on this thread and not appropriate to those trying to help on this thread, I will always try and help and by the way there is this little function on this website called "private messages" where a lot more can be gleaned than in the open Internet world. Just say'n (another saying I really hate!).

Stalker Of Fish
02-09-2013, 10:10 AM
OK thanks Seal , I should of worded my response more carefully as I had the overall board in mind when I wrote the comment . I did not notice anyone bragging here on this thread . I hear ya on the PM's I have been given good
info there . I still kinda think even though it is not the time of year for shore fishing Stripers . A little info answering
his questions on tackle would be nice since he (and others) could put it to use in just a few months. I am new to boards and
very new here so please for give my NEW-BEE mistakes as I am sure to make a couple more .

seal
02-09-2013, 10:25 AM
OK thanks Seal , I should of worded my response more carefully as I had the overall board in mind when I wrote the comment . I did not notice anyone bragging here on this thread . I hear ya on the PM's I have been given good
info there . I still kinda think even though it is not the time of year for shore fishing Stripers . A little info answering
his questions on tackle would be nice since he (and others) could put it to use in just a few months. I am new to boards and
very new hear so please for give my NEW-BEE mistakes as I am sure to make a couple more .

We were all new at some point. I don't think I could count the mistakes I've made on this board (poor Wingnut:Big Grin:). I really don't disagree with your premise either.

Riverdale
02-10-2013, 09:05 PM
Sure ,You need to spend time on the water to get good.But getting a few fish your 1st time or 1st couple times is what really sinks in the Bug.There is a lot of secrets in Fishing and Sometime you have to be part detective part outdoors man to figure things out.Ya, its not a great time of year at Wood but this guy and his buddies (who he is trying to get into fishing) want it!! More power to them,gets Em off the Iphone LOL So what i`m saying is (I guess) It never hurts to pass on some knowledge to the next generation of Fishers.I was shown how to T-rig,change the hooks on my cranks,which cranks to use and a few other things that got Me into LMB fishing.Catching those 1st fish has put me into that Detective outdoors man mode which has not let up in 10 yrs now.
Thanks to those that helped me early on for sure!!!I don't stryper fish but just was hoping some one would throw this guy a few hints is all.

karlow
02-10-2013, 10:35 PM
I don't get it.
I told them to fish for trout or go home hungry.
That was the right info. I fished with Joe on Sat. we caught 8 stripers.
I'm not sure any others were landed on Sat. I know some trout were caught near the b-line.
Don't complain if people don't give you the answers that you were shopping for.
That does not mean that they did not give you the good dope!
Like I said striper fishing at that lake this time of year is a specialty.
You need the right type of gear. Then fish are mostly 20- 40 ft deep.
They are not going for the bait and wait, they want shad. They don't seem to be finding many.
Their bellies are all empty.
Happy hunting. PS
If you see me on the water, please stay at least 350ft off my A.
That goes for anyone trolling.
We run lines up to 300ft back, and I don''t want you to spook our fish.
If you fish for trout, your odds are much better guys.

Good luck

seal
02-11-2013, 08:29 AM
I don't get it.
I told them to fish for trout or go home hungry.
That was the right info. I fished with Joe on Sat. we caught 8 stripers.
I'm not sure any others were landed on Sat. I know some trout were caught near the b-line.
Don't complain if people don't give you the answers that you were shopping for.
That does not mean that they did not give you the good dope!
Like I said striper fishing at that lake this time of year is a specialty.
You need the right type of gear. Then fish are mostly 20- 40 ft deep.
They are not going for the bait and wait, they want shad. They don't seem to be finding many.
Their bellies are all empty.
Happy hunting. PS
If you see me on the water, please stay at least 350ft off my A.
That goes for anyone trolling.
We run lines up to 300ft back, and I don''t want you to spook our fish.
If you fish for trout, your odds are much better guys.

Good luck

I don't get it either. The only thing I can say is when you guys share your reports of some decent striper fishing others think it's easy and your holding back, even if I got in my kayak and worked it hard I would not have the results more than likely that you do because I am not equipped and not experienced in deep water trolling techniques, I fish there most everyday and readily admit to you and Bob's superiority over myself this time of the year, now come topwater time I might give you a run for your money!

Not sure how many ways we can say the same thing and get the point across, oh well time to give up.

OCfishermen
02-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the info anyways guys, i ended up going with a group of 6 to silverwood and we fished the docks and we ended up with 6-7 bites and one striper at around 8ish and then more people showed up at 2ish and caught one bluegill and another striper