http://youtu.be/xgQoY9i0de4

cutbait
02-04-2013, 04:58 PM
I literally within the hour spoke with two DFG officers

Shad nets HAVE to have a handle

No hoop nets

Hunter Of Fish
02-04-2013, 06:03 PM
I LITERALLY spoke to a Captain at the Sacramento HQ today . I was told something different.
If you actually did ask two DFG officers if Hoop Nets were legal . I am not surprised by their answer .

An Umbrella Dip Net is NOT a hoop net . A hoop net is what we use to catch Lobsters and Crabs .

A Dip Net as defined by Fish & Game :

1.42. Dip Net.
Webbing supported by a frame, and hand held, not more than six feet in greatest dimension, excluding handle.

1) Have you ever seen a net mounted to a pole(handle) that even approaches six feet ?

2) Where does it state "shad nets have to have a handle" ?

I got my answer today so I will continue to use my Umbrella Dip Net like I have for the last 10 + years .
I am confident m *** is covered .

cutbait
02-04-2013, 06:29 PM
I LITERALLY spoke to a Captain at the Sacramento HQ today . I was told something different.
If you actually did ask two DFG officers if Hoop Nets were legal . I am not surprised by their answer .

An Umbrella Dip Net is NOT a hoop net . A hoop net is what we use to catch Lobsters and Crabs .

A Dip Net as defined by Fish & Game :

1.42. Dip Net.
Webbing supported by a frame, and hand held, not more than six feet in greatest dimension, excluding handle.

1) Have you ever seen a net mounted to a pole(handle) that even approaches six feet ?

2) Where does it state "shad nets have to have a handle" ?

I got my answer today so I will continue to use my Umbrella Dip Net like I have for the last 10 + years .
I am confident m *** is covered .

Use a seine if it floats your boat, like I said I ain't getting in an arguement over it.

I will reiterate that I spoke to two DFG wardens this afternoon and specifically asked about a hoop net, not an umbrella "dip net" as you describe and they said it has to have a handle and no bigger than 36 inches.

No Rope!

A handle!..

Knock yourself out with whatever you use, especially IF you did actually contact a captain today

bassoholic
02-04-2013, 06:42 PM
Nicely done sir! If you can get the shad into the boat you're set!

Team Dead Money
02-04-2013, 06:49 PM
Good luck getting shad these days. Nice old vid, shad always get fish.

AZ.Kid
02-04-2013, 07:03 PM
Nice video Hardcor. I was just wondering what the rest of your boat looked like then there it it poped up in the PiP.

2 questions.

1. where did you find that super size shad scooper ?

2. are there any shad left in the lake when your done? :LOL:

Hardcor
02-04-2013, 08:14 PM
Yes it is an old video. It was hard to scoop Shad at DVL this year.

Hardcor
02-04-2013, 08:21 PM
Nice video Hardcor. I was just wondering what the rest of your boat looked like then there it it poped up in the PiP.

2 questions.

1. where did you find that super size shad scooper ?

2. are there any shad left in the lake when your done? :LOL:

1. The Dip net is made by Promar

2. Every live Shad I dip is a fish. Some years are good and some are bad. I dipped Shad at Sliverwood 4 times in 2012.

Hardcor
02-04-2013, 08:29 PM
Nicely done sir! If you can get the shad into the boat you're set!

I fish all the methods. But I am old school. If the Shad are dippable I am there and I know one good dip will give me action all day long on a variety all on light line.

TroutOnly
02-04-2013, 08:31 PM
I think the blue stoneing have continued to kill the shad off, castaic had dipping going on for months and only one minor bluestoneing this last year , when they overdose with the stuff it wrecks the bait and fishing for many months at a time,,,,,,,,,,,

Hunter Of Fish
02-04-2013, 11:50 PM
I have always done pretty well at Skinner using a mounted Dip net I have one mounted on a swimming pool cleaning pole
so I can reach deep down . The Umbrella net also has worked well for me . Right in front of Fish and Game Wardens
who only questioned me about some frozen shad I had with me. They wanted to know where it came from because you
can not take shad live or dead from one lake to another.

After my conversation with the Sacramento office I am not worried one bit about using the Umbrella Dip Net .

Nessie Hunter
02-05-2013, 12:30 PM
Awesome video and some great Catching.. Thanks..
Love the high rod holder, your boat set up and all 7 of your hands working together like they do.. LOL
Thats Experience... Well done

MasterFisherYY
02-07-2013, 03:54 PM
I used the same method against a school sized shad school except we had 2 of my boys stationed in the front with the net in the water while I drove full speed at them. Ended up getting over 500+ for sure no joke the net was filled up way past the half way mark. I cant tell you that we got every fish you could think of after that! To bad we bent the net and I ain't going back to China to get another :(

Stalker Of Fish
02-07-2013, 11:15 PM
Technical you can NOT be under way when dipping for striper you can not use any motor or mechanical advantage
to work the net . It's too bad because your method would work awesome.

Hardcor
02-10-2013, 04:08 PM
I used the same method against a school sized shad school except we had 2 of my boys stationed in the front with the net in the water while I drove full speed at them. Ended up getting over 500+ for sure no joke the net was filled up way past the half way mark. I cant tell you that we got every fish you could think of after that! To bad we bent the net and I ain't going back to China to get another :(
We have the best success using two nets. There are a lot of techniques that I have learned over the years. One I invented called rodeo

Hardcor
02-10-2013, 04:09 PM
I think the blue stoneing have continued to kill the shad off, castaic had dipping going on for months and only one minor bluestoneing this last year , when they overdose with the stuff it wrecks the bait and fishing for many months at a time,,,,,,,,,,,

Hey t/o I thought they didn't bluestone DVL I'm I wrong ?

STRIPER HUNTER
02-12-2013, 09:24 AM
I also talked to my local Fish and Game office about Umbrella Dip Nets. They had a Warden call me who said Umbrella nets were legal to use in California . Size limits do apply . He even mentioned he got his at Bass Pro Shops . He said a lot of the younger Wardens do not even no what they are or how they are used.

Hardcor
02-12-2013, 09:35 AM
I also talked to my local Fish and Game office about Umbrella Dip Nets. They had a Warden call me who said Umbrella nets were legal to use in California . Size limits do apply . He even mentioned he got his at Bass Pro Shops . He said a lot of the younger Wardens do not even no what they are or how they are used.
Umbrella Nets work really good when the Shad won't come to the surface. I bought one over 25 years ago when they outlawed the cast net, California and the dfg are always looking for something to take away from the hunter and fisherman

Fishbreath
02-12-2013, 10:16 AM
Umbrella Nets work really good when the Shad won't come to the surface.

I suspect these are going to be too deep even for an umbrella net. However, before daylight they do drift up to about 15 feet deep. I took this shot last week. It is one of a number of schools of shad at Vail that are several acres in size that just sit there suspended this time of year. When I downloaded the shot, I instinctively reached up to clean the screen. Sorry about that. It got some water spots on it during a rough trip across the lake.
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa24/Fishbreath92028/ShadFeb42013_zpsb559d585.jpg
Fishing tales told here - some true.
The Best of Fishbreath (http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa24/Fishbreath92028/Slideshow/?albumview=slideshow)

Hardcor
02-12-2013, 10:57 AM
Technical you can NOT be under way when dipping for striper you can not use any motor or mechanical advantage
to work the net . It's too bad because your method would work awesome.
I don't get it ? Are you supposed to just float there and have the shad come to you? Fishing Shad is a blast I will net them anyway I can

Hardcor
02-12-2013, 11:07 AM
I suspect these are going to be too deep even for an umbrella net. However, before daylight they do drift up to about 15 feet deep. I took this shot last week. It is one of a number of schools of shad at Vail that are several acres in size that just sit there suspended this time of year. When I downloaded the shot, I instinctively reached up to clean the screen. Sorry about that. It got some water spots on it during a rough trip across the lake.
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa24/Fishbreath92028/ShadFeb42013_zpsb559d585.jpg
Fishing tales told here - some true.
The Best of Fishbreath (http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa24/Fishbreath92028/Slideshow/?albumview=slideshow)
Nice Shot of Shad on your screen. Those are a bit to deep, But if you get a mark like that in the front of a cove with a feeder, you come from the outside of the cove with both nip nets completely in the water deep as they can go..
With your trolling motor on slow work your way into the cove. When your net starts to touch bottom have both guys lift there nets at the same time. Rodeo Shad

gogreeenz4
02-12-2013, 12:47 PM
So its legal to fish live shad as Bait?? why cant we fish goldfish, blue gill, or Trout then??

Thisfool
02-12-2013, 12:55 PM
So its legal to fish live shad as Bait?? why cant we fish goldfish, blue gill, or Trout then??

gold fish are considerd an invasive species and if it gets off your hook you just intraduced a invasive fish.

blue gill and trout are considerd sport fish for the same reasone you cant sale sport caught sport fish at makret is why you cant use them as bait,

DarkShadow
02-12-2013, 01:23 PM
With your trolling motor on slow work your way into the cove. When your net starts to touch bottom have both guys lift there nets at the same time. Rodeo Shad

I thought you couldn't use any motor to assist in the netting of shad?

Or is that only for 'dip' nets?

Fishbreath
02-12-2013, 01:35 PM
gold fish are considerd an invasive species and if it gets off your hook you just intraduced a invasive fish.

blue gill and trout are considerd sport fish for the same reasone you cant sale sport caught sport fish at makret is why you cant use them as bait,

All that may be true, but it the long run it is probably better just to know what the regulations say than trying to make sense of them. For example, shiners are not allowed in Riverside County(except the Colorado River District), but next door in San Diego County they are legal. How can you explain that? By the way, while goldfish and bluegill are indeed illegal in San Diego County and most of Riverside County, they are in fact legal in the Colorado River District. Go figure.

Hardcor
02-12-2013, 02:24 PM
I thought you couldn't use any motor to assist in the netting of shad?

Or is that only for 'dip' nets?
You have to use a motor to find the Shad,You have to use a motor to get in position to dip,You have to move fast because the Shad are moving fast. If you can't chase them you will never get them.
California rules makes it impossible to net Shad. It used to be legal to throw a cast net in California. I could get Shad six months of the year at Skinner. They used to sell live Shiners at San Vicente reservoir, It used to be legal to use Bluegill for bait, One flylined and the other slabed for the cats. Thing change fast in California. California is the only state that they don't want you to fish or hunt. I say net your Shad, Have a blast !

Hardcor
02-12-2013, 02:33 PM
The nets are getting cheaper and two is the way to go ! What a day to have with your boys, Nice ! Sometimes dipping Shad is as fun as the catching afterward.

STRIPER HUNTER
02-12-2013, 08:12 PM
Your boat technically must be stopped to avoid a ticket . I don't care how you get them . But the man with the badge does.
I found out u cannot use any mechanical advantage like a boat motor or winch etc.
Just be careful with who can see you and it's all good .

MasterFisherYY
02-12-2013, 08:19 PM
So what I did earlier was technically illegal? Ouch this is going to suck and being Asian isn't going to help a lot 0_0

Stalker Of Fish
02-12-2013, 09:04 PM

Shad is the BEST bait by the way everything eats it Stripers , Bass large and Small mouth , Trout , Catfish , big Crappie etc. :Secret: