PDA

View Full Version : Trolling with a 2 stroke

elfarolitojr03
02-04-2013, 12:25 PM
Just had a quick question for all the trollers at the Vine. Are any of you guys successful with trolling with a 2 stroke engine? or do most of you guys use 4 strokes? Would like some intel on this. I have gone to the vine multiple times this year and i have become successful trolling with my two stroke outboard, but is a 4 stroke a huge difference in trolling? Thanks for reading

Rooster
02-04-2013, 01:14 PM
I have had some of my best days at the vine using a 2 stroke. Only difference is 4 stroke use less gas, no smoke and less noise.
If you worried about the noise being to loud just let your line out another 10-20

LBSea
02-04-2013, 03:42 PM
All I do is troll Irvine Lake and I think speed, depth & color far out weight the difference between using a 2 or 4 stroke motor.

TaperSteve
02-04-2013, 03:50 PM
Makes no difference.

TS

Hunter Of Fish
02-04-2013, 04:04 PM
I don't think it makes any difference before four strokes became vogue/ mandatory most of us caught plenty of fish
trolling using two strokes . More important than exhaust noise to me would be does the motor run at the correct speed for trolling ? Like Rooster stated you can always put your troll further behind the boat . But if you can't get the speed down
to get the right action from your lure you will be Captain Skunk!

But.......

If you really want to make a difference in your trolling, RIG FOR SILENT RUNNING !

I suggest an electric trolling motor you can really dial in your speed . It turns your boat into a stealth fighter so you can totally sneak up on things! . It's also a very peaceful way to fish all you hear is the water lapping at the sides of the boat. Trolling motors are inexpensive these days and used ones are a dime a dozen .
Don't skimp on the battery('s) though, buy deep cycle types only. Regular starting batteries will be destroyed by repeated discharge/charging cycles . I use a pair of Auto-Zone marine deep cycles and I can troll for hours and power my fish finders etc...

elfarolitojr03
02-04-2013, 04:35 PM
thank you guys for all the responses. I have done well before with the two stroke but i think ill start using my trolling motor more often. I have a nice motor guide 47 lbs trust but i dont use because it kills my battery. Ill have to invest in a better deep cycle battery because i dont want to repeat another horrible day when my trolling motor killed my battery and i got stranded in the middle of the lake with rain, wind, and no battery to start the outboard. was literally 40 yards from hitting the dam, could've been horrible if the irvine staff wouldnt have been there to save us. Thank you irvine staff for your work. and thanks to you guys for letting me know about the differences between 2 and 4 strokes, even though its not much haha

dixoncider
02-05-2013, 05:27 AM
thank you guys for all the responses. I have done well before with the two stroke but i think ill start using my trolling motor more often. I have a nice motor guide 47 lbs trust but i dont use because it kills my battery. Ill have to invest in a better deep cycle battery because i dont want to repeat another horrible day when my trolling motor killed my battery and i got stranded in the middle of the lake with rain, wind, and no battery to start the outboard. was literally 40 yards from hitting the dam, could've been horrible if the irvine staff wouldnt have been there to save us. Thank you irvine staff for your work. and thanks to you guys for letting me know about the differences between 2 and 4 strokes, even though its not much haha

Golf cart batteries (6 volt in series=12 volts) and a battery switch ok....problem solved

Jbfish
02-05-2013, 07:12 PM

Im crying laughing, good times bro good times

Hometown
02-05-2013, 09:12 PM
The Min-Kota endura troll motors are great I can troll all day on one battery if the wind isnt bad 50lb thrust and 16 foot Lund with 3 guys

See Chris Fish
02-07-2013, 11:24 AM
As already mentioned, I agree it's speed, depth, and colors that make the difference. Good question, though. I have a 2 stroke, and when it works, lol, I catch just fine!!