PDA

View Full Version : Mid 2/2/13 late report for stripes

flyhigh123
02-04-2013, 10:27 AM
I normally troll for stripers, but after reading in2deep's report, i decided to give the B&W a try for stripers since I never did before.

I found some frozen sardines at the chinese market and decided to hit the mid on saturday. I got to the mid around 8:30am and headed straight out to the dam area. Another member gave me their hot spot so i went there. Metered around the area and saw some markings here and there, mostly deep, but no big schools or balls of bait. Decided to try to anchor up in around 230-260ft of water. I had about 300 feet of rope so thought it should have been fine. But i learned the hard way that anchoring, normally you need a 3:1 scope to the rode. I only had about 300 feet of rope so that of course didn't work. We kept drifting until we got to about 150ft of water where it finally caught.

Since it was taking a while to anchor, we decided to stay in the 150ft and give it a try. We dropped our lines and dines in the water around 30-75 ft. The wind was blowing so i thought it would be good since it would spread the scent of my bait. After 2 hours, we didn't get any hits. There were 4 boats around us doing the B&W and they had all left so i assumed the bite was no good.

We decided to boat around and find another location before we give up and troll again as that has always proven to at least pick us up 1 fish ( any fish).

We motored around the dam area still and metered some more fish closer to the area of the damn roped off by buoys so we decided to anchor there. Once again, we didn't have enough rope, so we just drifted until the anchor caught. Once again, in around 170ft of water. Dropped the lines in the water and waited. another hour passed no bite.

We gave it another 5 minutes before we decided to quit when we got our first fish on. It didn't fight much but the size was a decent keeper. Then another pole went off right away, we reeled that in so we now had 2 keepers. High fives everywhere since we were just about to give up.

The bite dies and we are sitting for another hour+ when the bite goes hot again. The time passed real quick and before we realized it, the sheriff was telling us the lake is closing.

We ended up with 9 keepers on the B&W which was very surprising to me.

I think the most important thing is to not stick to one spot, and to meter for fish prior to anchoring. What works for others, may not work for you or that day, so take tips as good info, but not the exact info.

I forgot to take pictures of my day so sorry guys.

Rig:
i only had 4# line, so that's what i used. c-rig 24" leader, 1/4 egg sinker. not sure what sizes hook as i just used whatever i had, but guessing its a #4-#1 size.

fishinarteest
02-04-2013, 02:19 PM
Nice job out there. Do you mind me asking if you noticed any weather changes or anything like that when the bite picked back up for you guys. Actually do you remember what the weather was like that day.

TroutOnly
02-04-2013, 02:48 PM
the stripers make laps around that end of the lake,,,,,,,,,,do i smell sardines,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,nice killin boys,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,

Fishbones
02-04-2013, 03:50 PM
your locations were right, your anchor rope length wasnt...im sure that will be resolved next time out. Congrats on beating the skunk and getting some numbers aboard.

flyhigh123
02-04-2013, 04:08 PM
the stripers make laps around that end of the lake,,,,,,,,,,do i smell sardines,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,nice killin boys,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,
Thanks TO! I wanted to troll and hone that skill some more, but that day was dedicated to trying B&W. I was almost a non believer and gave 5 minutes left of B&W. I was already prepping my lures for the troll as I counted down the clock.

lol

flyhigh123
02-04-2013, 04:11 PM
Nice job out there. Do you mind me asking if you noticed any weather changes or anything like that when the bite picked back up for you guys. Actually do you remember what the weather was like that day.

it was cloudy the whole day. Not too cold, but the wind did bring on a chill here and there.

The weather didn't change much at all that day. Only changes i noticed was the wind direction, but that's to be expected as the sun moves across the sky. I believe water temp was 54 and air temp was in the 60's.

IN2DEEP
02-07-2013, 10:55 PM
Good report
9 fish. I'd be happy with that many sometimes
T/O, I smell sardines too... but so do those stripers :Wink:

flyhigh123
02-07-2013, 11:45 PM
Good report
9 fish. I'd be happy with that many sometimes
T/O, I smell sardines too... but so do those stripers :Wink:

More than Happy! It's the best i've done in the last 2 months with this cold weather