PDA

View Full Version : Surf Report 2/3/2013

FishinElectrician
02-04-2013, 08:07 AM
Hit the waves up again yesterday for a couple of hours. As soon as I arrived, I could tell that conditions were totally different than the two previous trips to the surf. The surf was calmer, and water was flat, with the visibilty not as clear. Still, not to be discouraged, I gave it a try. I started throwin a LC in Sexy Blue, and a Yo Zuri Edge Minnow in Blood Flash, but they exited the water like they went in, brand new. So, i put the hardbaits down, and got the Perch rod, with a carolina rigged Bass Pro Shops Squirmin Grub in Smoke Blue flake/Red glitter tail. I had to work for the few bites that I did get, catching only 6 hand sized perch. Im still on the hunt for a different species of fish from the surf, but I might have to make an extreme change in fishing locales. Anyway, Im still gonna head out sometime this week, because now I just cant stop!!!

Take care guys, thanks for reading!!!

skunked4life
02-04-2013, 09:06 AM
Man i remember first becoming an addict. Wait, i am still an addict!

Great job getting out there!

As to the locale change, you might not need to move too far from your current AO to cath different species. They just might be out a little further, waiting for warmer weather to show up or waiting for different tide conditions to show up. Try experimenting in the same spot at different times and weather conditions.

Also, i remember reading another member suggesting to commit to the hardbait and eventually you will get more confidence and land that prize. I think it was wingnut that told me this. I only travel with the hardbait and one rod these days and travel light in terms of tackle. It forces me to do 3 things:
1. I accept the skunk more regularly.
2. This forces me to move, move, move. Something that SP Dan preaches to me. Learn structure and get some exercise while you are at it.
3. This forces me to appreciate the occaisional prized fish a lot more. Although i have taken a couple of fish home to eat here and there, of the three legal butts i caught, i released 2 and i take alot more care to release these beautiful creatures back to God's blue ocean.

You have the fever right now, so just go with what works for you and believe me when i say the next level up is super rewarding!

FishinElectrician
02-04-2013, 09:39 AM
Hmmm... I might just take your advice. I think one rod would also be less cumbersome, but I hear ya. Maybe less bites, but when they do bite, they might be some pigs???

skunked4life
02-04-2013, 09:49 AM
You are on a roll lately and should do what is working. That is what i did until i committed to the change above. I try to learn and master one technique, one AO and one species at a time if possible. When i caught my first halibut, i was actually targetting it. It was a much sweeter feeling that i accomplished my goal instead of catching a by product. Trust me, you are on the right track. Dont try to do too much too fast.

bloox8
02-04-2013, 12:22 PM
I think you should hit that spot a few more times during different conditions like what skunk4life said and take some notes (a tide log is a great notebook). You'll start to see a pattern after a few months of fishing. I also noticed that the terrain of several of my go-to AOs has changed dramatically over these past few weeks. I am sure this has an effect on the action but we can never be too sure :Confused:

Good luck on your next outing. Let us know how it goes :Smile:

Thien

FishinElectrician
02-04-2013, 08:56 PM
I appreciate the advice fellas. Like I said before, if it wasnt for guys who contribute regularly, and encourage with amazing fishing reports and advice, I dont think Id be much into fishin the sand.

The only thing that will stop me from LMBass fishin, is surf fishin! That says boatloads!!! LOL

murrieta angler
02-09-2013, 08:55 AM
Good job mixing it up for the bite..:Smile:
Alot of people, including myself, just stick with one thing, hoping for a biggin!
Keep up the good work...:Wink:
Robert
<><

SP Dan
02-11-2013, 02:47 PM
Excellent report!
Alex....I appreciate reports like yours, GOOD HELPFUL INTEL!
I don't always beach a skunk buster and it's good to hear that others are out there (like your self) fishing just as hard as me ..... and for what .... the excitement of that BIG kook up! Mine was a Striper! THE confidence builder....it will happen...believe me! :Big Grin:
Learn to put a bit of your faith in what has been already proven, for there are a lot of washed away foot steps in the sand that were left by converts like myself and those before me! Once it happens on the LC....you may never want to go back to the old ways!
Thanx for the fun read with pic's! :Cool:
SP Dan <"))><

FishinElectrician
02-14-2013, 07:47 AM
Good job mixing it up for the bite..:Smile:
Alot of people, including myself, just stick with one thing, hoping for a biggin!
Keep up the good work...:Wink:
Robert
<><Thank you sir! I am hopin for a flat one, so from now on, only one rod will accompany me on my surf runs!

Excellent report!
Alex....I appreciate reports like yours, GOOD HELPFUL INTEL!
I don't always beach a skunk buster and it's good to hear that others are out there (like your self) fishing just as hard as me ..... and for what .... the excitement of that BIG kook up! Mine was a Striper! THE confidence builder....it will happen...believe me! :Big Grin:
Learn to put a bit of your faith in what has been already proven, for there are a lot of washed away foot steps in the sand that were left by converts like myself and those before me! Once it happens on the LC....you may never want to go back to the old ways!
Thanx for the fun read with pic's! :Cool:
SP Dan <"))><Thank you, Dan! Your replies really get me hyped up, and inspire me to keep these reports coming. Unfortunately, I havent been able to go out in some time, but this huge order of LCs and other surf necessities will make this little hiatus worth it!!! Take care!

bachiboy
02-14-2013, 10:20 AM
Nice report fellow addict!:Wink: Keep it up and I'll see you in rehab...oops, there is no rehab for this. Oh well, we'll just have to keep feeding the addiction. Leaving now for a late morning session...gotta get my fix. :LOL: Nice shape and color to that Yozuri, but curious to know how it casts and swims vs. an LC.

See you in the trenches!!!
Don

saltman
02-14-2013, 05:59 PM
Hey

That is the way to mix think up! It will pay off soon my friend just keep fishing different locations and you will find that hot spot.Thanks for the report.

Saltman

dlmoo312
02-15-2013, 03:56 PM
Sometimes you have to stick it out fo the whole day just to land that one fish.. but it's all worth it in the end:Smile:
Way to go on the perch! Keep slinging the hardbaits and i'm sure you're persistence will pay off nicely :Wink: especially with spring right around the corner!
Thanks for the report!

-Daniel