PDA

View Full Version : Trolling with the new motor. 3 Species, a Bass and 2 Panfish!

fishinone
02-03-2013, 09:06 PM
My old Suzuki DT150 2 stroke "blew chunks" out of the side of the crankcase on Christmas Eve. I found a 2001 Suzuki DF115 that's been left out in the sun and has a rash from bouncing around the boat yard but it runs just fine. So now that I have a 4 stroke EFI, I can troll without breaking the bank.

On Saturday after a couple of times going out and trying the motor I decided to try my hand at trolling. I had taken a long break from trolling because the old engine would burn over $100 in fuel in a day of trolling.

Fishbones and I met at Gallion's Corner in Castaic, got some great sandwiches and headed out. We saw lots of schools on points 30 to 60 ft deep and trolled through them but they ignored our offerings. We trolled until about 9:30 but didn't get any interest from the obvious schools. We picked Loweboat up at the ramp and got back to it.

We finally got a troll fish about an hour later. We didn't see a school on the fish finder,we just noticed a rod bouncing. The fish was too small to pop the line out of the release but we were on the board with the right kind.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%20Trolling%202-2-13/IMAG0405_zpsb07cf700.jpg
The first troll fish of the year.

Things were so slow that we decided to try bait and wait. We anchored up on a great looking school of large fish marks. After a couple hours of trying all of our tricks we moved to Elizabeth Canyon and anchored up on some good looking medium to small looking fishmarks. The results were the same, except that I did see fishbones pole tip move just a little once here.

At 3:30 we went back on the troll. We hadn't gone too far when we noticed even smaller head shakes on the DR pole. Fishbones was up, He skied his quarry in across the surface as we kept right on going. This one was the wrong kind!

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%20Trolling%202-2-13/IMAG0408_zpsa40facd1.jpg
This UGB put up almost no fight but at least fishbones beat the skunk.

We continued on trolling the far side of the Fish Arm toward C Point. We saw lots of schools and trolled through them but didn't get hit.

At C Point we found a school of inactive fish piled on a hump. We decided to badger them to see if we could get them to go. We made pass after pass through them, it was looking like we were going home with only 2 fish for the boat. We set up a pass heading for the ramp. I had given up when I saw the rod tip bounce. This fish actually popped the release! It was the biggest fish of the day.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%20Trolling%202-2-13/IMAG0411_zpsd2c19511.jpg
Here's Loweboat with the catch of the day!

That's the first smallmouth caught from my boat at Castaic. I had heard of them and seen pictures but this is the first one I've seen in there.

It was a slow day but none of us got skunked.

Thank you T/O for the good intel, all of the fish were caught on your recommendations.

CAPT'N
02-03-2013, 09:27 PM
Congrats Ron, nice to see your back on the water!

Capt'n

DMS
02-03-2013, 10:07 PM
Way to go to scratch up some fish and avoid the skunk. We were out on Saturday doing the same things on the troll. We got one striper and a very small green carp that would have been drowned if I had not checked the line off the DR. I couldn't believe the fish on some of those marks ignoring our offerings too. Beautiful Smallie. It was pretty windy on Saturday and I think they had a bass tourney out of the West ramp as I saw about 30 boats all gunning at 7 from the other side of the lake.
Glad you got your motor swapped out.
DMS

TroutOnly
02-04-2013, 10:06 AM
OH MY GOD IT'S DAN,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,

Fishbones
02-04-2013, 11:34 AM
It was a hard day out that's for sure, but with great company and the urge to slay we managed to get the skunk off our back's.
The motor ran strong and trolled it's way down the lake with ease trying everything in the book and then some.
There were some fat meter marks but nobody wanted to play with either B&W or jig strikes and then finally as if it was almost too late we managed some fish up to bite.
Good job Ron not giving up and really putting those baits in there face with accuracy they were just super lock jawed.imo
I know eventually when those jailbirds are ready to chew Ron will be right there to capture them an put em in the blood well.
Till next time my friend, Alex

DMS
02-04-2013, 04:38 PM
Alex,
I hear you, getting the boat, motor, DR's and all the systems working is a good step, but filling up is even better. We had our striper for dinner saturday and I finished him up for lunch today. We almost finished up all the stripers we caught with T/O and on our boat last year, so I hope I can get them on the chew soon. A couple places those things were thick on the finders, so looking forward to getting the timing right! We were doing better on them before the cold weather, but its a matter of time and we will bide out time until we can wake them up T/O style.
Dan (DMS)

DMS
02-04-2013, 04:49 PM
OH MY GOD IT'S DAN,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,

:UDaMan::Wink:

Ambassadorhawg
02-04-2013, 05:31 PM
Good going on the Bronzeback!!! That's the first one I ever SEEN out of there. Until this pic, I had only heard that they were in there. Cool!

cutbait
02-04-2013, 05:46 PM
no pic of the motor?

Green carp photos but no motor pic?

Fishbones
02-04-2013, 06:55 PM
Alex, I hear you, getting the boat, motor, DR's and all the systems working is a good step, but filling up is even better. We had our striper for dinner saturday and I finished him up for lunch today. We almost finished up all the stripers we caught with T/O and on our boat last year, so I hope I can get them on the chew soon. A couple places those things were thick on the finders, so looking forward to getting the timing right! We were doing better on them before the cold weather, but its a matter of time and we will bide out time until we can wake them up T/O style.
Dan (DMS)

Dan, Everything is pretty much dialed in thanks to a great skipper Ron, he knows his boat well with alot of time on the water.
Im hoping the weather gets better, i also thing the cold front turned them off since t/o just got in them the other day and we were draggin what he was too.
my freezer is empty of jailbirds and im cravin a striper steak...

no pic of the motor?

HEY, that green carp photo has a handsome gentleman holding it....

fishinone
02-04-2013, 08:08 PM
Congrats Ron, nice to see your back on the water!

Capt'n

Thanks Capt'n. the motor has been running well. i don't even know how much fuel is in it, i put 10 gallon in the other day and figure that I haven't used it/:Smile:

Way to go to scratch up some fish and avoid the skunk. We were out on Saturday doing the same things on the troll. We got one striper and a very small green carp that would have been drowned if I had not checked the line off the DR. I couldn't believe the fish on some of those marks ignoring our offerings too. Beautiful Smallie. It was pretty windy on Saturday and I think they had a bass tourney out of the West ramp as I saw about 30 boats all gunning at 7 from the other side of the lake.
Glad you got your motor swapped out.
DMS

That was a tough bite. i'm happy to hear that you got some too. Which boat were you in?

I think that we could do well making circles on those UGB but hat would be like backing up.

It was a hard day out that's for sure, but with great company and the urge to slay we managed to get the skunk off our back's.
The motor ran strong and trolled it's way down the lake with ease trying everything in the book and then some.
There were some fat meter marks but nobody wanted to play with either B&W or jig strikes and then finally as if it was almost too late we managed some fish up to bite.
Good job Ron not giving up and really putting those baits in there face with accuracy they were just super lock jawed.imo
I know eventually when those jailbirds are ready to chew Ron will be right there to capture them an put em in the blood well.
Till next time my friend, Alex

It's always a pleasure, having you fish with with me Alex. Let's go again soon.

no pic of the motor?

It looks like heck with the cover on it but it looks new with it removed. LOL :Cool:

More UGB photos to follow!

TroutOnly
02-04-2013, 08:35 PM
A-b-hawg theres alot of them in there i couldnt count all the ones me or my clients have caught ,pyramid has alot more and the get very large up there,,,,,,,,,,,,

fishinone
02-04-2013, 09:00 PM
A-b-hawg theres alot of them in there i couldnt count all the ones me or my clients have caught ,pyramid has alot more and the get very large up there,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks again T/O for sharing your hard won fishing information with me.

I wondered if that whole pile of fish I saw on that hump wasn't SMB. We picked that fish up right out of them. They weren't there today.

DMS
02-05-2013, 10:26 AM
That was a tough bite. i'm happy to hear that you got some too. Which boat were you in?

I have a 16' aluminum Crestliner with a 40 horse Yamaha. I've been out a Castaic a lot since September when we got this boat. PM me to chat offline. I am loving having a boat again and learning to chase jailbirds.
Dan (DMS)

MikesOcean
02-06-2013, 06:18 PM
Good Job Ron,

I love that lake!!

gletemfeelsteelgary
02-07-2013, 10:18 AM
congrats on the catches guys.....

Stick with it...Castaic alsways has the winter doldrums period...it happens every year...when water temps increase the action will follow..

way ta squeeze 'em out : )

Salute,
Gary

fishinone
02-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Good Job Ron,

I love that lake!!

Hi Mike,

Thank you. How have you been?

congrats on the catches guys.....

Stick with it...Castaic alsways has the winter doldrums period...it happens every year...when water temps increase the action will follow..

way ta squeeze 'em out : )

Salute,
Gary

No doubt!

I hope it starts sooner rather than later. I've been up there 3 times lately. The first day was a Thursday the water temp was 54. The next day was a Saturday 2 days later, the water temp was 55. The day of this report a week later the water was 56 degrees F. If this keeps up next month should be good.

gletemfeelsteelgary
02-07-2013, 11:49 AM
Hi Mike,

Thank you. How have you been?

No doubt!

I hope it starts sooner rather than later. I've been up there 3 times lately. The first day was a Thursday the water temp was 54. The next day was a Saturday 2 days later, the water temp was 55. The day of this report a week later the water was 56 degrees F. If this keeps up next month should be good.

Yes one could hope....it usually takes a bit but the later part of next month should see some notable action....most likely be starting on bait then a troll bite if things follow the a-typical pattern but you never know...lady lakes like to throw curve balls sometimes...

Ur doin the right thing....getting out there and explore it...at that rate you'll be there the day it clicks on....unfortunately with the still remaining colder nights the surface temps take a bit to translate to true water temps.....but it's a comin' : )