PDA

View Full Version : Ever caught a wild golden trout in SoCal?

carpanglerdude
02-02-2013, 10:13 PM
Has anyone ever caught a wild golden trout, or golden trout/rainbow hybrid in the San Gabriels or San Bernardino Mountains? I'm not asking for an exact location, just curious if any live around here. Thanks!

jiggaman
02-02-2013, 10:20 PM
ya corona lake jk man...idk but that sure would be cool

Nessie Hunter
02-03-2013, 10:51 AM
Primary habitat of the Golden Trout is above the 11,000 ft elevation..
Not likely to get them locally....

I have caught them in the Sierras while staying at Parchers Resort after a fair hike (Thanks Smitty)....
Above 11,000 ft..
Most people never even see one in their lifetime.....

Troutin Man
02-03-2013, 11:17 AM
True pure golden trout! Nothing like catching one of those using a fly up in the Sierras! There small, but beautiful little guys. Now that is pure fishin! No Power Bait and bite on garlic or roe. Just pure flies...wet or dry...nothin' like it. Just talkin' about now will make me schedule a trip up there this summer.

teejay
02-03-2013, 11:26 AM
I caught this trout late last year on a So.Cal. mountain stream. Not sure if it has any golden genes but it had a unique orange/yellow belly. Looks like some of the golden hybrids that I've caught in the Sierra.

http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad322/teejaygrady/IMG_2662.jpg

GhettoBasster
02-03-2013, 11:40 AM
I caught this trout late last year on a So.Cal. mountain stream. Not sure if it has any golden genes but it had a unique orange/yellow belly. Looks like some of the golden hybrids that I've caught in the Sierra.

Nice! Do you think that's a Golden-Rainbow hybrid? We've caught quite a few of those and I've wondered what their genetics is. I'd love a DNA study done on them but I wouldn't want their habitat publicized.

CrownTown
02-03-2013, 11:51 AM
Teejay, I've caught several of those micro trout at Lyttle in the past hiking way up creek. Didn't know what they were exactly but they were fun to get on the fly. Glad you posted that pic, now maybe someone can identify exactly what kind of trout they are. That's a beautiful fish for sure

Tubbytuba
02-03-2013, 12:46 PM

http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad322/teejaygrady/IMG_2662.jpg

a wild rainbow par will look like that, ive caught a million of them in my secret spots. they sure look great but they grow up into beautiful, boring rainbows. golden trout are not down here in non sierra country socal. it sucks i know. they simply cannot exist in our streams, they need pure cold water at a high elevation. golden trout evolved from rainbows who had gotten isolated in the sierras, sorry guys. i have caught a brook trout in a San Bernardino head water. quite a hike to get to him. apparently they got transplanted here at the turn of the 19th-20th century. they are dumb so if you find a school of them in the middle of nowhere be careful with them.

fishmounter
02-03-2013, 07:00 PM
The CDFG has tried to raise and stock California Goldens, and although they can be raised and successfully stocked, they loose their beautiful coloring in lower elevations, pretty much anything below 8,000 feet. They become a pale, washed out Rainbow Trout color.

Hunter Of Fish
02-03-2013, 08:49 PM
Anyone ever fish the drainage out of big bear lakes dam ? It's worth the hike if you like crazy trout !