PDA

View Full Version : Night time Surf/Harbor Fishing

MasterFisherYY
02-02-2013, 05:31 PM
I was wondering if fishing the surf at night would be effective at all? Like would we expect the same kind of fish to bite in daylight and are they less active? Plus I've been hearing about a lot of new rules being implemented for dock fishing and would really appreciate it if you guys point them out. Many Thanks :Big Grin:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bloox8
02-02-2013, 08:25 PM
Good question!
I thought about that too and did a little scooping around on the internet and found several interesting facts. According to marine biologist almost all fish have a sensory system called the lateral line system which allows them to detect vibrations and determine the direction and rate of water movement of objects (or other fish duh!) within their surroundings. This allows them to detect fish even before seeing them (even though they see all colors in the color spectrum just like us) – pretty awesome! So I think, to answer your question, it really depends on when they’re feeling hungry and need a snack. I am sure they get hungry at night too. Just make sure to use something that creates some sort of vibration or at least has a sparkle to it so that the moon can reflect on it. Scent is also a good idea because the majority of fish have a good sense of smell.

I have been very successful the past few times I fished during black light. Caught several halibut on the surf and a few bass on the jetty all with lures. I even tried tossing out big chucks of squid and had a lot of success. Hope this helps!

Thien

MasterFisherYY
02-03-2013, 03:12 PM
Whoa! Very informative, I like it! Really interesting and knowledgeable information. You gotta love this forum and its members, will try again in the distant future, looked like the fish didn't want to cooperate with us last night :( Many thanks though Thien!:Envious:

Shewillbemine
02-20-2013, 01:21 AM
At night you will want to use lures that have greater scent/sound to attract more fish. This includes things like rattles& blades. Fish will also be attracted to light (not too bright) and you'll often see night fishermen use glow sticks as floats and strike indicators. Often, smaller mackerel will even bite on the plastic glow sticks.

DockRat
02-20-2013, 07:06 PM
Night is good for sharks and rays too.
Fresh Mac fillet or squid :Thumbs Up:
3-4 oz pyramid or claw foot weight, 1/0 hook, 15 - 30 lb.
Also night fishing during a grunion run draws predators.
DR