PDA

View Full Version : The Great Commission - Epic Outing

skunked4life
02-02-2013, 10:01 AM
Prologue:
Ugh....what's that stench? I can't seem to shake it. What is that foul odor??? Smells like...SKUNK. I need to get myself a saltwater rinse and get the skunk off. With all of these posts from new FNN members regarding the dreaded skunk, I think that I need to show the true meaning of fishing by fulfilling THE GREAT COMMISSION.

AO: My home turf
Equipment: casting set-ups all around; LCs only please
Conditions: 50 degrees and sunny, mild surf conditions

"I am going fishing...we will go with you" - John 21:3

Had some last minute cancellations and some last minute additions. Got the call at 4:00 a.m. that Daniel and Thien were headed my way. I got ready to meet them and play gracious host to my turf. Due to an accident on the 405, we met up a little after grey light. No matter, let's fish.

"So the last will be first" - Matthew 20:16

The fellas had to take a little extra time to get their waders on but we hit the first AO. I noticed that we all had the exact same LC color/pattern. Coincidence? Thien decided to tie on a different one. By the time he had finished tying a new LC on, Daniel and I were already about ten casts in. C'mon Thien, let's fish already... Thien hit the surf and on his first , second or third cast, he caught himself a nice little piggy. At this time, I swung hard and let my LC fly, but not in the way intended. Why isn't it landing? Oh because it snapped off! Good grief. I hurried back and tied on another. Yeah, no, this one broke off too. Yes, Thien, patience and taking your time to do it right pays off.

Walking on water - Matthew 14

The surf here is so unique. Thien was standing waist deep 50 yards or so behind Daniel in this picture. He looks like he is walking on the water.

After about an hour and a half of fishing and recon, we decided to grab a quick bite and reload on gear before round two. We hit the local tackle shop and Thien and I got these:

We moved onto our next destination. Thien decided that he wanted to fish the end of the jetty. Daniel and I were getting a few nibbles, but nothing yet. I look out at the end of the jetty to see a huge surge overtake Thien as he nearly loses balance and disappears into the rocky abyss. Close call Thien, be careful out there. Another hour, another skunk session.

We hit the harbor looking for some bass, er I mean to practice casting. :Embarrassed: Nada. Then, Thien decided to walk out onto the edge of a storm drain. Down he goes again. This time, he did not walk away unscathed. It looked so bad that Daniel and I didn't even crack a smirk. "You okay Thien?" He says he is fine, but we know that is the farthest thing from the truth. We decided to move on and practice drop shotting. Nada. Skunk all-around.

"And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts" - Acts 2:46

From this point forward, there would be no more fishing. That's okay. We all got in the car and headed off for some Pho. To be honest, this was not a true Vietnamese restaurant...they had 2 types of pho: chicken and beef. No tripe, tendon, meatball, brisket, just filet mignon or chicken. No matter, the service was friendly. We ate, laughed, talked fishing, talked life, and enjoyed our fellowship time. By this time, I had already forgotten that I was skunked the entire day. How embarrasing right? I take these guys to show off my AO's where I caught toad BSP's, legal Halibut, football sized crows and spotties, and we pretty much end up with skunk.

"If therefore there is any encouragement in Christ, if there is any consolation of love, if there is any fellowship of the Spirit" - Philippians 2: 1-2

I sit here typing this report and reflecting upon the 5 or so hours we spent together, Thien, Daniel and I. These boys were nothing but a pleasure to fish with. No need for me to be embarrassed about showing them skunk. No complaints, no whining about hurting your knee, just nothing but brotherly fellowship.

Epilogue:
So see fellow newbies, skunk-brethren, and wannabe halibut hunters, we should not ponder our purported failures in not catching; but rather, learn from the sessions, enjoy the scenery, enjoy the companionship of other anglers, practice technique, talk shop, just get out there and have fun.

P.S. Sorry about the heavily Christian-themed report, but I have been soul searching a little deeply lately.

SP Dan
02-02-2013, 03:56 PM
Hi ya skunked4life,

What an interesting read,
I'm really glad that only prides were bruised and that no further harm followed! :Wink:

Thank you for sharing your session with us! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

bloox8
02-02-2013, 08:45 PM
Nice report ken!
I had a great time fishing with you guys. Its always fun fishing new territory, especially amongst awesome people :Smile: We should definitely do it again some time.
Thanks for driving us around to each of the AOs and treating us out to Pho (Mmmm tasty!) Sorry the trip had to end sooner then expected. I'll try not to do anything silly next time :LOL:

Thien
P.S. My knee is a lot better. Its just really swollen but it should be gone in no time :LOL:

skunked4life
02-02-2013, 08:47 PM
Great to hear about the knee Thien! Now how's the phone?

bones
02-03-2013, 05:12 AM
Beautiful report Ken. Very nicely written and inspiring for all anglers.

A perfect example why we all call it "Fishing" and not "Catching".

Also good to hear that our two newest SWAT prospects survived another day in the trenches!

bachiboy
02-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Nice couple of wingmen you got there Ken.:Wink: So, you lost a couple of LCs, Thien goes down, not once, but twice, creams his knee and potentially damages his phone? I think I'm rubbing off on you guys...that sounds like one of my sessions. Well, good to hear that there wasn't any major damage and that you all had a good time hanging out.

Be safe and thanks for the report!
Don

exfactor
02-03-2013, 11:40 PM
There are many pitfalls to be learned in the course of becoming a good fisherman.....making mistakes is part of that learning curve that helps you learn the steps you need to take along the way. I too, have my share of missed opportunities, but find that when the good session comes, the bad one's just seem to dissappear from my memory banks, and the cycle continues. You lost 2 LC's in an outing due to user failure. The 1st one was a ooops, the second was a signal to step up your line test so you don't do that. I suggest at least 15#. The new SWAT members are anxious, and are pushing the envelope for that one good fish. I also take chances, but try to weigh the odds first before I commit to dangerville. Appreciate your story on the beach, and as you stated, hanging with other like minded souls is the best part of the experience. Thanks for your insight. Mikey

skunked4life
02-04-2013, 07:15 AM
Hi ya skunked4life,

What an interesting read,
I'm really glad that only prides were bruised and that no further harm followed! :Wink:

Thank you for sharing your session with us! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

Thanks Dan! Haven't seen you reporting much. Hope all is well with you and your family so that we can enjoy your reports again. Thanks again for setting a great example for me.

Nice report ken!
I had a great time fishing with you guys. Its always fun fishing new territory, especially amongst awesome people :Smile: We should definitely do it again some time.
Thanks for driving us around to each of the AOs and treating us out to Pho (Mmmm tasty!) Sorry the trip had to end sooner then expected. I'll try not to do anything silly next time :LOL:

Thien
P.S. My knee is a lot better. Its just really swollen but it should be gone in no time :LOL:

Keep me posted on the knee and the phone. Also, I think the next time we meet up, we better just stick to flat beaches (no jetty, rocks, pipes) :LOL:

Beautiful report Ken. Very nicely written and inspiring for all anglers.

A perfect example why we all call it "Fishing" and not "Catching".

Also good to hear that our two newest SWAT prospects survived another day in the trenches!

Well Bones, I consider myself having caught two of the right kind, friends that is! That sounds a little creepy. :EyePop:

Nice couple of wingmen you got there Ken.:Wink: So, you lost a couple of LCs, Thien goes down, not once, but twice, creams his knee and potentially damages his phone? I think I'm rubbing off on you guys...that sounds like one of my sessions. Well, good to hear that there wasn't any major damage and that you all had a good time hanging out.

Be safe and thanks for the report!
Don

Don, I considered myself the wingman to these two skilled pros! You know, this was the first time ever that I actually did not dwell too long over a lost LC. I was just having a great time and $40 down the drain seemed like nothing. It costs about $80 to spend a day at Disneyland, so I figured that the lost LC's and the new ones that I bought was money well spent. In any event, now that I have seen some of your reports, and seen Thien in action, all I have to say is that some risks are better not taken, but if you want to walk the tightrope, have some buddies nearby to rescue.

There are many pitfalls to be learned in the course of becoming a good fisherman.....making mistakes is part of that learning curve that helps you learn the steps you need to take along the way. I too, have my share of missed opportunities, but find that when the good session comes, the bad one's just seem to dissappear from my memory banks, and the cycle continues. You lost 2 LC's in an outing due to user failure. The 1st one was a ooops, the second was a signal to step up your line test so you don't do that. I suggest at least 15#. The new SWAT members are anxious, and are pushing the envelope for that one good fish. I also take chances, but try to weigh the odds first before I commit to dangerville. Appreciate your story on the beach, and as you stated, hanging with other like minded souls is the best part of the experience. Thanks for your insight. Mikey

Mikey, the funny thing is, i use 15# braid. The first LC was due to me forgetting to re-tie. I had cast that thing a couple of sessions without having retied and the knot likely failed due to wear and tear. The second one was me rushing. I tied the standard palomar and cut the connection a little close. It just came undone. Nevertheless, both oopsies on my part. Just so excited to fish and fish with great guys!

exfactor
02-04-2013, 08:49 AM
15# braid is the same diameter as 4# test, easy to get a nick in it, and not see it. I prefer 15# mono, as I can see it better, the backlashes come out easier, and the line stretch helps with retrieving those snags you get along the way. A top shot of 3 feet would help that alot.

skunked4life
02-04-2013, 08:53 AM
15# braid is the same diameter as 4# test, easy to get a nick in it, and not see it. I prefer 15# mono, as I can see it better, the backlashes come out easier, and the line stretch helps with retrieving those snags you get along the way. A top shot of 3 feet would help that alot.

I will try mono on my next reel that i buy. I hear that alot of SWAT members use mono. Thanks for the suggestions!

dlmoo312
02-04-2013, 12:42 PM
It was great finally getting to meet up and fish together. I had a wonderful time on the surf with you and Thien and would love to do it again soon.
That first area we hit seemed super fishy with all the troughs and varying water levels.
Thanks for showing us around your home turf :Cool: You were an awesome host and it was fun just cruising around, talking about fishing and life..
This was definitely the best skunk session i've ever had:Big Grin: We'll be sure to get em next time!
Till next time.. take care!

-Daniel

Wingnut
02-04-2013, 04:21 PM
Beautifully written report Ken... I like your style. :Thumbs Up:
The "catching" part of fishing is always a bonus. :Big Grin:

Wow, our new S.W.A.T. Prospects are going all out. :Shocked: Be careful out there gentlemen, it's just a matter of time. :Wink:
I know the restaurant that you guys went to, they only serve "white man's" pho, lol :LOL:

skunked4life
02-04-2013, 05:50 PM
Beautifully written report Ken... I like your style. :Thumbs Up:
The "catching" part of fishing is always a bonus. :Big Grin:

Wow, our new S.W.A.T. Prospects are going all out. :Shocked: Be careful out there gentlemen, it's just a matter of time. :Wink:
I know the restaurant that you guys went to, they only serve "white man's" pho, lol :LOL:

Thanks Arthur! I am glad that someone went ahead and said it, but that was white man's pho! It was decent nonetheless and i am sure that Thien could have enjoyed pho from a can after his wicked fall!:LOL:

I'll be sure to watch over the boys and be the voice of reason next time i fish with them.:LOL:

peanutbutter
02-04-2013, 09:00 PM
the walking on water pic is pretty rad

sidified
02-05-2013, 01:27 AM
"It costs about $80 to spend a day at Disneyland, so I figured that the lost LC's and the new ones that I bought was money well spent."

Man, if it weren't for perfect rationalizations like that (and a thousand more) I'd have drowned in my own fishy tears years ago!

I'll tell you what else...you can lay down as much scripture as you want, brother... anyone who thinks they've heard too much ain't heard nothin' yet...LOL

OH, and after hearing you fellers smackin' ''the white man's pho'' I gotta tell ya I'm a convert. Who in their right (white?) mind wouldn't give up a filet mignon for a whole big mess o' that juicy tendon and stomach lining?!

Cheers!!

smokehound
02-05-2013, 03:30 AM
Haha OUCH, i took a few spills on the massive J-st pipe, sloughed off some skin over the knee, chipped a tooth on the corner, busted up my cheek. I still have jaw pain from that. Sometimes I think that's what those storm drain signs are warning you about, and not the runoff :LOL: NNGH!

Sorry I couldn't join ya, next time fo sho!

skunked4life
02-05-2013, 03:33 AM
the walking on water pic is pretty rad

The structure of the beach is weird. I can take two steps towards the ocean and either be on the water or waste deep. Then, I can walk out about 30 to 40 yards and its the same. I was telling the guys that I have actually turned around and cast towards the shore through the troughs (meaning, I cast backwards).

"It costs about $80 to spend a day at Disneyland, so I figured that the lost LC's and the new ones that I bought was money well spent."

Man, if it weren't for perfect rationalizations like that (and a thousand more) I'd have drowned in my own fishy tears years ago!

I'll tell you what else...you can lay down as much scripture as you want, brother... anyone who thinks they've heard too much ain't heard nothin' yet...LOL

OH, and after hearing you fellers smackin' ''the white man's pho'' I gotta tell ya I'm a convert. Who in their right (white?) mind wouldn't give up a filet mignon for a whole big mess o' that juicy tendon and stomach lining?!

Cheers!!

Sidified, thanks for your response and your showing love for the pho! Don't know if you are being serious but the tripe and tendon is really good. When the report came out that McRib contains mostly tripe and snout, my wife said to me "So What? Those are the best parts! To me, that is the only real meat they have on the menu!"

skunked4life
02-05-2013, 03:40 AM
Haha OUCH, i took a few spills on the massive J-st pipe, sloughed off some skin over the knee, chipped a tooth on the corner, busted up my cheek. I still have jaw pain from that. Sometimes I think that's what those storm drain signs are warning you about, and not the runoff :LOL: NNGH!

Sorry I couldn't join ya, next time fo sho!

It ws J-street pipe! Its cursed I tell you!

Wingnut
02-05-2013, 03:21 PM

Cheers!!

That's hilarious Sid... :Big Smile:

Let me tell you, a friend of mine opened a "White Man's" Pho restaurant a few years ago and is making an absolute killing. He's getting more business than the authentic Vietnamese Pho restaurant in the area. :Envious:

I went to a mall a few weeks ago and saw that they just opened a Pho place in the food court. :Shocked:
Pho popularity has really taken off in the last 10 years. :Razz:

I think I'm going to give him a free plug here on FNN, Phobulous on Ventura Blvd., in Sherman Oaks. Ask for Tyler and tell him Arthur sent you. :Wink:
He also has another location on N. La Cienega Blvd., in West Hollywood.

blackwater
02-08-2013, 11:00 AM
I dig your report, very entertaining. Keep up the good work and you might find yourself on the SWAT radar. :Wink:
Quality time spent with friends, that's what it's all about. :Big Grin:
Nothing wrong with a little, or alot of soul searching. :Cool:

murrieta angler
02-09-2013, 09:30 AM
Howdy S4L,
First of all, NEVER< EVER< EVER say you're sorry when it comes to "Our Lord"...:Big Grin:

This report is absolutely one of my top 3 most enjoyable reports to have ever read while a member of this site...:UDaMan:
Epsecially since I didn't do my devotions this morning...:Rolls Eyes:

THANK YOU:!!!:

Now, great job hosting 2 very nice young men in your area.
You are definately getting the meaning of, Friends, Family, Fishing, Fun & Faith...:Big Grin:

God Bless You Brother,
Robert
<><

p.s. as far as the Pho goes, being part Mexican, the tripe is absolutley one of the best parts of it...MENUDO ANY ONE?!? :LOL: