PDA

View Full Version : Seal Beach Pier 9/5/07

CoffeaRobusta
09-06-2007, 01:16 PM
Went to SB pier after work and got totally skunked. Was throwing kastmaster all afternoon, then switched to sibiki and got some small nibbles but no hook up. Pretty slow for others on the pier too. Saw some kids catch a spot fin on ghost shrimp and some guys that tried to bring up a big bat ray but lost it. The weather has totally changed. Tuesday night at Balboa it was warm and muggy - one of those nice summer evenings. Last night at SB it was overcast, cold, and windy. I think I heard the temp dropped in the ocean as well due to upwelling. I wonder if the weather changed has shut things down for the pelagics, at least temporarily. One guy told me that bonito were biting there that morning but now......

sansou
09-06-2007, 01:35 PM
Are you telling us you didn't catch any tuna off the pier?

Ha ha!!

Nice report nevertheless!

Troutman65
09-06-2007, 03:19 PM
I think I remember some years back that someone did catch a Tuna or a Yellowtail off a pier in Newport or just a little farther down. It did make the Western Outdoor News I am sure. Anyone remember somthing like that a few years ago?

Thanks for the report.

TM65

riverjoon
09-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Nov. 2001 some guy caught a 28 pound yellowtail of balboa pier.

Troutman65
09-06-2007, 03:38 PM

Yes , thats it !!!!!

Thanks Riverjoon !!!

My memory seems to slip ever now and again. Getting older sucks :lol:

Troutman65

Troutman65
09-06-2007, 03:40 PM

Take that Sansou !!!! :lol:

:wink:

Tm65

sansou
09-06-2007, 06:37 PM

Tm65

VAST difference between catching a TUNA versus a YELLOWTAIL, off the pier. Vast difference my friend. Any remotely warm-watered tuna have not come into the inshore areas of the U.S. in decades, quite possibly over 50 years. Whereas YT (albeit firecrackers) are caught off the piers here in SD from time to time....not so unusual.

Of course, escaped BFT from Ensenada don't count....

Put that in your pipe and smoke it..... :wink:

fishmaniac
09-07-2007, 01:34 AM
Hey Coffea,

I was at SBP wed night at 11:30pm. I fished for a few hours to only get a small Sargo, a small Walleye Perch and a bunch of small YFC's.

And yeah, it was pretty darn cold n windy!!

Catch ya at the pier!

CoffeaRobusta
09-07-2007, 10:09 AM
Hey fishmaniac. Yeah I left by 8:00. I was at the end of the pier trying for pelagics. From your catch you musta been towards the surf. Were you using mussel?

Norwalk hunh?
I'm close to here....ask for Mick, the caretaker
33 48.73 X -117 55.14

fishmaniac
09-08-2007, 02:57 AM
From your catch you musta been towards the surf. Were you using mussel?
Actually, I was by the "resident" homeless guy (Frank) near the gate. I was using small shrimp with guts exposed.

I'm close to here....ask for Mick, the caretaker
Do I have to pay $80 to look you up? lol

boxl0bster
09-09-2007, 05:36 PM
haha i know that homeless guy. ive been frequenting that pier quite a bit lately too. does anyone know if the liquor store on main st has bait? i want to use mussels and get some of those huge spotfin croakers i see people pull up all the time.

n1ckxlam
09-10-2007, 02:19 PM

Tm65

VAST difference between catching a TUNA versus a YELLOWTAIL, off the pier. Vast difference my friend. Any remotely warm-watered tuna have not come into the inshore areas of the U.S. in decades, quite possibly over 50 years. Whereas YT (albeit firecrackers) are caught off the piers here in SD from time to time....not so unusual.

:lol:

Troutman65
09-10-2007, 11:26 PM

Tm65

I don't smoke anything out of a pipe . :lol:

Just a beer drinker and hell rasier. :lol: :wink:

TM65