PDA

View Full Version : Final Decision

Charlessyverson
02-01-2013, 08:13 AM
These are my final choices for an "all-around" pier spinning rod. I appreciate any thoughts/feedback and would also take advisement on a quality reel to balance your recommendation. I would use the rod primarily for bait fishing for halibut, reds, snook type size fish, but want to be able to handle something larger if it bites. I have a freshwater medium type spinning rod for smaller species, so this would be considered the next level up!

Ugly Stik Tiger. 7' 1/2-6 oz. 10-50 lb
Ugly Stik Big Water 7 1/4-4 oz. 12-30 lb
Ugly Stik Big Water 8' 3/4-3 oz. 10-25 lb
Ugly Stik Big Water 8' 1-4 oz. 12-20 lb

Shewillbemine
02-03-2013, 11:14 AM
I know how you feel and I've been where you're at. So here's more practical advice.

You will buy more rods and reels if you really love to fish. What feels great in someone's hands will feel different in yours. I used to stress about the perfect combos for specific techniques then learned how most seasoned fishermen do it: experience and personal feel.

That said, I love Shimano spinning reels. The quality is pretty up there and yes, therefore more expensive. Remember that there are kids next to you on the pier using Walmart Zebco combinations catching fish just the same. A combo for pier fishing does not need to be as specialized as one might think (pretty sure I'll get flamed for that comment).

skunked4life
02-04-2013, 07:31 AM
Ugly Stik Tiger. 7' 1/2-6 oz. 10-50 lb
Ugly Stik Big Water 7 1/4-4 oz. 12-30 lb
Ugly Stik Big Water 8' 3/4-3 oz. 10-25 lb
Ugly Stik Big Water 8' 1-4 oz. 12-20 lb

I think that I replied to a similar thread to you or someone else seeking advice about pier fishing rods. These are all decent rods. I have fished them years ago when I was a pier fisherman. Having caught halibut on the surf and a couple of decent sized SNGF and rays, I ask you again, do you know if these piers are producers of giant fish let alone any fish? When pier fishing was hot, I wouldn't ask this or even chime in, but I think that most here would agree that piers are dead these days. I am currently using a Crucial rod rated at 8 - 14 pound test. None of the rods I have used on the surf to haul in a halibut or anything on the bigger side have been rated for more than 30 pound test nor have they been anything over a medium light to medium. IMHO go lighter and spend less for pier fishing.

Get something lighter and with the money you save, get a fishing license, if you don't already have one, and try the surf. You would be pleasantly surprised at what you can catch on the surf.