PDA

View Full Version : Dana Point Harbor Question

Shewillbemine
01-30-2013, 07:17 PM
Thinking of taking my small boat out and fishing the boat slips/docks (looking mostly for bass).

Anyone done this before, even with a kayak or float tube? I'm actually thinking of going in and out of the docks and not just by the bait barge. Dunno if there's gonna be fish to catch and/or if it's frowned upon by the locals.

Thanks for any help. I'm a noob in the area and just don't want to be an a-hole.

bruce watson
01-30-2013, 08:11 PM
That type of fishing is much more popular and tollerated in Newport Harbor. Anywhere from the bait barge, all the way back to the Dunes. Dana harbor police are not as friendly.

CrownTown
01-30-2013, 11:18 PM
Haven't fished Dana harbor in a few years, but last time I was there we got a bunch of short Cuda, a few spotties, short halis and a spot fin. There is a reef just outside of the harbor, really good fishing out there. A lot of 2+ pound sculpin and some nice sandies when we went. We yaked it but not sure if you want to take the boat outside of the harbor. good luck and post how you do please

yakfu
01-31-2013, 04:38 AM
Did it from my yak a few years back in the spring and got a lot of people just wondering what i was catching. Its a small compact harbor so it would be easier to float tube it vs. Kayaking...i found some decent sand bass and some short halibut in there...