PDA

View Full Version : Berkley Mice Tail

Kingfisher2
01-30-2013, 02:36 PM
I've read quite a bit about people having some good luck on the mice tails. I've only used them one time and was unsuccessful. I was wondering what the best way to use them would be. Drop shot, split shot, maybe just fishing them like you would pb but on a single hook? I'm mostly considering fishing SARL but if the method is different in other local lakes I would be glad to hear about that too. Thanks!

jaggerbub
01-30-2013, 02:43 PM
Carolina rig with 6-12 in leader. Use 2-4 lb test line. Use small mosquito hooks to make sure it floats. If it doesn't float, you probably won't get bit. Also use garlic scent. Whites, chartruse, and orange works well at sarl.

Jbfish
01-30-2013, 02:44 PM
You can jig with them but remember that they float so you can also fish them just like pb. I usually use a 16 or 18 treble and hook the head onto 2 of the hooks and the third hook is visible. Just caught a 7.95 rainbow in the MLK tourney a couple weeks ago at the vine using a white head pink body mice tail. Good luck

Kingfisher2
01-30-2013, 03:19 PM
Thanks guys, I think I will give it another shot on Friday. Maybe I will see you there.

Jbfish
01-30-2013, 03:23 PM
Thanks guys, I think I will give it another shot on Friday. Maybe I will see you there.

Fish the irvine tourney this weekend! Gonna be fun

Hunter Of Fish
01-30-2013, 03:30 PM
Is Corona having their tourney the same day?

Cadillyak
01-30-2013, 03:33 PM
Yep. Same day.

shiromaguro88
01-30-2013, 04:44 PM
I use a an orange mice tail on a trebble hook an cover the remaining hooks with chuncky cheese Pb. I had a lot of success with this method.

Kingfisher2
01-30-2013, 04:53 PM
I use a an orange mice tail on a trebble hook an cover the remaining hooks with chuncky cheese Pb. I had a lot of success with this method.

What size treble hook do you use when rigging like this Shiromaguro?

shiromaguro88
01-30-2013, 04:57 PM
Thats split shot with 2lb. If it gets slow u can jig it back. I did a comparison with my buddy fishing next to me using just power bait and me with the method described above. I had three trout to his zeroo. As soon as he attached the mice tail he started catching. On his first cast like a movie he got bit.

reservoir dog
01-30-2013, 04:58 PM
Carolina rig with 6-12 in leader. Use 2-4 lb test line. Use small mosquito hooks to make sure it floats. If it doesn't float, you probably won't get bit. Also use garlic scent. Whites, chartruse, and orange works well at sarl.

WORD! Orange with some garlic scent. It worked for my friend last weekend who pulled in a 8.5lb trout. Small hook, light line and make sure it floats and you're money!

shiromaguro88
01-30-2013, 05:00 PM
Size fourteen

Kingfisher2
01-30-2013, 05:00 PM
Nice! I will definitely try that! what size treble hook are you using? 16 or 14 maybe?

Kingfisher2
01-30-2013, 05:03 PM
Never mind! haha I just saw that you replied size 14. Thank you.

shiromaguro88
01-30-2013, 05:05 PM
I also drop shot Berkeley trout worm and jig it back on size 10 mesquito hook.

Tube Killer
01-30-2013, 06:40 PM
KingFisher
This guy gave you the best advise. The power mouse works best C-Rigged use a small weight if your tubing, only use Owner mosquito hooks size 8 or ten Whit/White glow works the best at SARL and Irvine.
Trust me i'm there once to twice a week. I will always switch up my jig rod as i fish in my tube but my dead stick will ALWAYS be a White glow power mouse because it will hit 3 out of 5 compared to my jig rod. My friend Jaime fishes there at least once a week usually at the pump house I took him tubing with me and gave him a White Mouse told him to C-rig it he floated out deep from Toad Road and had a slay fest he told me later that he has never had a day like that at SARL... Good for him. See ya on the lake..

Tube Killer

Tube Killer
01-30-2013, 06:52 PM
I forgot don't ever use treble hooks... they are for kids.. you will gut all your fish.

Kingfisher2
01-30-2013, 07:47 PM
I forgot don't ever use treble hooks... they are for kids.. you will gut all your fish.

Thanks a lot Bro! I will give it a shot. I will have to get some of those. I have a variety of different colors in mice tails but not glo white.

TroutMerc
01-30-2013, 09:50 PM
38888 I caught this on Glow white last saturday, 26th. Trust me, Go get some Glow/white haha

vegas fish slayer
01-30-2013, 09:58 PM
38888 I caught this on Glow white last saturday, 26th. Trust me, Go get some Glow/white haha

Look at you !!!! That's a good one. You better not be bashful this weekend I came to your lake last time now you can come to mine. Lol just kidding but for sure come find us we will be in our jeep this time not the Lex

TroutMerc
01-30-2013, 10:47 PM
Sounds good Tim. See ya there.

BigBass777
01-31-2013, 09:42 AM
My friend uses these a lot at Lake Mission Viejo. He drop shots them with about a 14 inch leader (hook to weight) and does quite well. He uses 2lb line but constantly reties all the time. If casting/retreiving, you can cover a lot of water while drop shotting them.

A #8 Owner Mosquito hook works well with them. He takes the hook and hooks it sideways through the ball. Hooking the ball sideways allows you to catch more fish on them. They tend to rip faster when hooking them straight through the top head section. I think the drop shot weight he uses is 1/8oz for shallow water and 1/4oz while in deeper water.

luckyjr21
01-31-2013, 12:02 PM
KingFisher
This guy gave you the best advise. The power mouse works best C-Rigged use a small weight if your tubing, only use Owner mosquito hooks size 8 or ten Whit/White glow works the best at SARL and Irvine.
Trust me i'm there once to twice a week. I will always switch up my jig rod as i fish in my tube but my dead stick will ALWAYS be a White glow power mouse because it will hit 3 out of 5 compared to my jig rod. My friend Jaime fishes there at least once a week usually at the pump house I took him tubing with me and gave him a White Mouse told him to C-rig it he floated out deep from Toad Road and had a slay fest he told me later that he has never had a day like that at SARL... Good for him. See ya on the lake..

Tube Killer

That's no lie, That was the first time I used the GLOW mice tail and boy was it deadly , by far the best tubing day i have ever had at SARL:Big Grin: thanks Tube killer , cant wait for Saturday.

shiromaguro88
01-31-2013, 01:52 PM
If want to see a video regarding these methods go to youtube drop shotting for trout tutorial under irvine lake.

shiromaguro88
01-31-2013, 01:56 PM
Also split shotting using trout worm put out by videooman1 on youtube.

Kingfisher2
01-31-2013, 04:08 PM
You guys Rock! seriously, I really appreciate the help. I'm going to SARL tomorrow and will definitely try these methods. Is there usually a line on Fri mornings? if so, how late should I go in order to avoid waiting in the line? Thanks again and hope to see you guys tomorrow.

flyhigh123
01-31-2013, 04:26 PM
i wish the mice tails had a little more float to them. i need to use tiny hooks otherwise it'd sink.

I actually didn;t even realize that until fishing many trips wondering why i wasn;t getting bit.

allanon
01-31-2013, 08:47 PM
I love fishing the micetails. And no, I have NEVER had one fail to float, or sink after 20 min. Never.

At SARL this season, the pink body/white head works best for me. And I have tried them all, including the glow white one.
I rig it like the others - carolina with anywhere from 10-24 inch leader. Use light leader line (I use 4lb flouro seaguar blue label - its thinner than many of the 2lb leaders I have seen).
I prefer the 1/4 oz sinker, but 1/8 oz is fine too. The 1/4 oz allows me to cast further in case I need to....

Good luck out there!

TroutOnly
01-31-2013, 08:51 PM
POWER-RATS RULE WHITE BALL PINK TAIL.............................t/o.............

Troutin Man
02-01-2013, 10:51 AM
If u are in a boat, doyou use small weight like a small split shot or small egg wt for carolina rig and have it sink all the way down to the bottom or do you let it kind of float mid water?

etucker1959
02-01-2013, 02:49 PM
If u are in a boat, doyou use small weight like a small split shot or small egg wt for carolina rig and have it sink all the way down to the bottom or do you let it kind of float mid water?

In most cases fish it right on the bottom.

Troutin Man
02-01-2013, 10:14 PM
In most cases fish it right on the bottom.

Thanks etucker. You are always so responsive and helpful. Thanks.