PDA

View Full Version : Help please nightpier fishing!

blakeb
01-30-2013, 11:08 AM
I'm heading out to santa Monica pier tonight with some buddy's and tips please help

5150fishn
01-30-2013, 12:00 PM
Good luck out there. I fish the Newport and Balboa piers at night fairly often. It all depends on what you are targeting. I don't know about Santa Monica pier and the existing structure around the pier though. If you want perch, or yellow fin croaker try gulp camo worms or sandcrabs in the surfline. A little beyond the waves you will have a shot at thornback rays, shovelnose sharks, leopard sharks, and bat rays. I usually use squid or anchovies for this. Farther out you can use a sabiki for macks and then using them for live bait you can get some bigger sharks and rays. I do catch the occasional halibut on squid from the pier also. Report back and let us know how you do!

BALLERONBUDGET
01-30-2013, 12:34 PM
might catch a cold thats about it..... pier fishing night or day has mostly been horrible in last 5yrs... anyone care to disagree...???? good ole days fish were a plenty.(remember the old horseshoe 80s redondo!!).. i do recons piers/jetty every few weeks and havent seen nothing worthy. but good luck anyways

FishinElectrician
01-30-2013, 12:52 PM
I was at the SM Pier about a month ago, and there were some paisas with some nice perch in their buckets. They were fishin the section of the pier where it narrows down after the amusement rides, facing south. There was a little kelp growth in the water, and there were a bunch of fish visible, even way up on the pier. It was low tide, though, but Im sure theyll be there in high tide conditions.

good luck!

blakeb
01-30-2013, 12:56 PM
Awesome thanks guys any suggestions for sharks/rays that's what my freinds really want to catch

blakeb
01-30-2013, 12:57 PM
And also anoter question is jigging the subuchi rig or just let it sit on the bottom any bait on it or just by itself

bassknuckles
01-30-2013, 01:02 PM
If you tie a glow stick q foot or so above the sabiki qnd lert the glow stick hang just below the water line to a couple 9f feet down thas where the macks will be at

blakeb
01-30-2013, 01:05 PM
Jig the sabiki rig or let it sit?

5150fishn
01-30-2013, 02:57 PM
Sometimes you need to jig the sabiki sometimes they hit it with out jigging. Just have to see how aggresive they are. Tip the hooks with little bits of squid and it will help.

BALLERONBUDGET
01-30-2013, 03:19 PM
if macks are there everyone else will be catching regardless of wat bait u use.... shark /ray or ?? whole sardine or squid with torpedo wt and toss as far as u can..