PDA

View Full Version : Private boats in SARL

Kingfisher2
01-29-2013, 03:26 PM
Does anybody know for sure if SARL allows the old 2 stroke motors on their lake? I was there the other day and asked every question but that one. I tried calling but its an automated message and I wasn't able to speak with a real person. Can someone help me with this? Thanks in advance.

lbfishslayer
01-29-2013, 03:37 PM
Heres the number to the tackle store (714) 632-7851

Kingfisher2
01-29-2013, 03:48 PM
Heres the number to the tackle store (714) 632-7851

Thanks Fishslayer! I just called and spoke with Bill in the tackle store and he informed me that 2 stroke motors are NOT allowed on the lake. Which I personally feel is ridiculous since that lake is nothing more than a man made mud hole. I can understand lakes such as Tahoe etc. not allowing 2 stroke motors but for a private little lake like SARL? kind of odd. Oh well. Maybe I can talk my wife into a new boat! hahaha Good luck everyone and thanks again Fishslayer! No hard feeling towards SARL as I'm sure they have their reasons.

DMS
01-29-2013, 04:40 PM
The 2 stroke thing is probably the water district's rule. I believe that the lake is a percolation basin to recharge groundwater and is licensed to SARL for fishing subject to the water rules. When I had my old smaller boat (13' aluminum), once the 2 strokes were kicked out, I used the electric motor or even oars with no trouble.
DMS

fishinglakes.com
01-29-2013, 04:54 PM
The 2 stroke thing is probably the water district's rule. I believe that the lake is a percolation basin to recharge groundwater and is licensed to SARL for fishing subject to the water rules. When I had my old smaller boat (13' aluminum), once the 2 strokes were kicked out, I used the electric motor or even oars with no trouble.
DMS

Yes, it is a requirement of the Orange County Water District. Only 4 stroke and electric motors are permitted, plus all private boats must be clean, dry and inspected. Santa Ana River Lakes is a percolation basin for drinking water in Orange County.

BTW, with the new construction improvements and the underwater pipes to change and flush the water flow through SARL, the term "Mud Hole" is now WAY OFF BASE. The water is so clear it's almost like a swimming pool. Plus the shoreline is sandy, not muddy, making it clean and convenient to fish during the rainy season. You will never need a tow truck to pull you out of the mud.

Thanks!

flyhigh123
01-29-2013, 05:01 PM
Do you allow boats with a 2stroke main (50hp), and a 4 stroke kicker motor(9.9hp), where the 2 stroke main is never used on the lake and only the kicker?

fishinglakes.com
01-29-2013, 05:11 PM
Yes, they will ask you to leave the gas tank and fuel line for the 2-stroke at the tackle shop. Just remember to pick it up on the way out, several have been left behind.
Thanks!

Kingfisher2
01-30-2013, 10:42 AM
My apologies to SARL, I should've known it was a water district thing. I didn't even consider the fact that it was under them. Thanks to all and I will be back to fish the shore and hopefully catch more than I did the other day. Thanks again.

fishinglakes.com
01-30-2013, 11:07 AM
My apologies to SARL, I should've known it was a water district thing. I didn't even consider the fact that it was under them. Thanks to all and I will be back to fish the shore and hopefully catch more than I did the other day. Thanks again.

Thank you, but no apologies are necessary. A lot of people are not aware of the important purpose these Lakes provide to the community. It's not just fishing...

Hunter Of Fish
01-30-2013, 02:05 PM
How about at the Corona Lake Mud-hole and Irvine lake? What the rule on two strokes at the other two lakes?
Thanks

flyhigh123
02-04-2013, 05:22 PM
Yes, they will ask you to leave the gas tank and fuel line for the 2-stroke at the tackle shop. Just remember to pick it up on the way out, several have been left behind.
Thanks!

i dont think i can remove the fuel line as the gas tank is integrated into the hull and the fuel line is split, going to the main and the kicker engine. Is there another option? The main engine is 70hp, and the kicker is 10hp

fishinglakes.com
02-04-2013, 11:51 PM
i dont think i can remove the fuel line as the gas tank is integrated into the hull and the fuel line is split, going to the main and the kicker engine. Is there another option? The main engine is 70hp, and the kicker is 10hp

Yes, take the prop off the 2-Stroke and leave the prop at the Tackle Shop. Then you can use the 4-stroke kicker. We have done that before for boats like yours, and the water district is good with that.
Thanks!

bassknuckles
02-05-2013, 12:53 AM
is there a fee to launch Kayaks?