PDA

View Full Version : Surf Perch HELP!!!!!

Socalbassmaster
01-29-2013, 08:41 AM
Hello Fnn users
Im planning on fishing for some surf perch sometime in the next week or two and really need some help getting started so i can manage to catch a few. Im mainly a fresh water bass guy so i have a good understanding of fish in gerenal but this will be a first for me surf fishing. Large mouth has been slow so untill they pick up a bit i wana try something new. I need to know first off what beach allows surf fishing for perch and which beach is best to catch em. Also i need to know what kind of artificals work well and what kind of rigs etc. What should i look for in locatting the perch? And do they mainly feed on or off the bottom? Any Info will be great and the more the better guys and if any of you have any secret techniques or spot you can PM me.

Blackwhitemax
01-29-2013, 08:49 AM
Tip 1: Mosquito Size 6 or 8.
Tip 2: 6 lb test with 7 or 8 ft spinning rod
Tip 3: Camo sand worms (short or long) Berkley Gulp
Tip 4: Swival or use carolina keeper 12 inch leader from swival.
Tip 5: 1/4, 1/2 oz or 3/4 egg slider depending on the current

Wreched
01-29-2013, 10:44 AM
Hello Fnn users
Im planning on fishing for some surf perch sometime in the next week or two and really need some help getting started so i can manage to catch a few. Im mainly a fresh water bass guy so i have a good understanding of fish in gerenal but this will be a first for me surf fishing. Large mouth has been slow so untill they pick up a bit i wana try something new. I need to know first off what beach allows surf fishing for perch and which beach is best to catch em. Also i need to know what kind of artificals work well and what kind of rigs etc. What should i look for in locatting the perch? And do they mainly feed on or off the bottom? Any Info will be great and the more the better guys and if any of you have any secret techniques or spot you can PM me.

Hey Socalbassmaster

follow this, and make modifications as you go, I got tips from this article and it helped me quite a bit. Most people use Gulp camo sand worms AKA Crack!! Perch love them, ive started using bigger hooks to weed out the little ones but they all put up a little good fight. Good luck and happy fishing

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?14334-Surf-Fishing-101-The-Basics

smokehound
01-29-2013, 04:44 PM
If you want the BIG perch, do away with the tiny baits and hooks.

Use 1/0 EWG hooks, and 3-4" grubs on jigheads, or C-rigged with at least 1/8 oz sliding bullet weight (not egg sinker).

you'll hook into monster YFC this way too! If you dont care about the size of the perch, then by all means, use the perch grubs.

I'd imagine a standup jighead would work great in the deeper portions of the surf.

Socalbassmaster
01-29-2013, 06:34 PM
Cool guys thanx. Any particular beach or spot i should check out? Or i should have sucess pretty much anywhere?

SeaLance
02-09-2013, 07:15 AM
Sent you a pm