PDA

View Full Version : Penn 965 Reel - best uses

m2oz90277
01-29-2013, 06:55 AM
I received my father-in-law's Penn 965. Is it too much reel for surf fishing? If so, what are the best applications for this reel? Thanks.

SP Dan
01-29-2013, 08:16 AM
Hi ya m2oz90277,

I looked your reel up on line and all that I read was that it was a durable, bait casting level wind. Good for tournament fishing and in-bay areas.
Also mentioned was that it was used quite a bit for fishing 40+ lb Stripe Bass.
The 965 looks to be one of the smaller of the Penn level wind series and is supposed to have an excellent drag system by what I've read.
I've never used a Penn 965 in the surf. I do own a LUNA casting reel but have never used it (still NIB), I've learned that I personally prefer spinning reels over casting reels in the surf. I do know that most anglers; including myself, prefer a lite weight reel (spinning or casting) for the sole purpose of casting for hours-on-end in the surf.

So MBG would be....to use it from a boat for situations of getting your line out fast or to drop your bait to the bottom fast.
That's my opinion and I'm not by any means an authority on this reel. :Wink: I just wanted to chime in.

I wish you the best success with your new gift! :Thumbs Up:

SP Dan <"))><

midgettosser1
01-29-2013, 09:11 AM
It might feel a little big and clunky. I mean, it's the same weight as a luna 253, and nearly the same line capacity (Luna has a bit smaller line cap)... but from what I recall, it is (or at least feels like) a bigger/clunkier reel. It might be just a touch too big for slinging lucky crafts, but it would probably be ok for throwing heavier swimbaits. Other than that, I think it would be a good reel for ray/shark fishing to white sea bass/dorado/smaller sized tuna.

one long cast
01-30-2013, 10:24 AM
surf fishing is what a spinning reel is made for, on the west coast. If your not that well versed in throwing with a conventional reel a seagull will be laying an egg in it.