PDA

View Full Version : New Pink FlickerShad / Gulp Pinched Crawlers Produced BIG Today (Pics)

Hunt4Fish
01-28-2013, 11:13 PM
38863My mission today was to troll two of the new Pink Flickershads, got on the water at 9:30, it was sunny and cool with a slight breeze, fish finder said the water was 50 degrees. Headed up the west shore (one fish), across the dam (one fish), around rocky point, along the red claycliffs (two fish), and all the way back to the creek (dry) and headed back to the dock (three fish). I normally put garlic scent on my lures but I didn’t bring the bag that it was in, so all fish were caught scent free. All were rainbow trout, 1 to 2.5 lbs, I landed 5 out of 7. Do the new Pink Flickershads work? YES they do!! It was only 12:30 and I was able stay longer so I checked back in the tackle shop and headed out for a second limit. Here is where it gets even better, last week I was fishing with 2lb leader on one of my rods and hooked a ripping 5-6lb Yosemite Red in the flats, and this was the day I forgot my net, four boats around me watched as I wore it out (I thought) then I proceeded to cradle it just up to the rail…. half way in the boat and the beast freaks out, lands back in the water and snap! Man I will do that different next time. So with that FAIL on my mind all week I headed back to the exact same spot and anchor up. With my 6lb set up and 18” 6lb fluorocarbon leader I put on a Chartreuse Gulp Pinched Crawler and toss it out, place it in the rod holder and hang a strike indicator on the line. As I grab the second rod to begin rigging it the same way, my indicator goes flying, I drop everything and grab the rod, oh man this feels big and it’s peeling drag. So I finally get a visual on it, it’s not a Yosemite red but it is bigger than the one I lost last week. It is near the boat and “acting” tired out, as I grab my net I accidently dragged it across the rod I was about to rig and it still has the flickershad on it and all 6 hooks get wrapped up in the freaking thing, the knife is in the front of the boat, the fish is in the back, I have to let line out to get to the knife and the fish is close to the boat, I’m thinking he could go for the motor or if he goes under the boat a freaking quagga could cut the line, I’m also thinking at least there aren’t any witnesses this time, I let more line out, alright I got the knife, as I’m cutting the net free he gets a second wind, he takes off, I cut the net free, i get him back to the boat, I reach over and he’s in the net, I get it half way over the rail and……….......………..It’s mine !!!!!!!! I ended up with 5 fish on the pinched crawler and this limit weighed 17.05 lbs. The kicker fish came in at 7.35lbs. What a day !!!!

Jbfish
01-28-2013, 11:21 PM
Awesome report!! Never tried the gulp worms but they sound promising!!! What a great day!

VineVideos
01-29-2013, 07:50 AM
Wow! Nice report. I have a FlickerShad in my box, but since trolling is my main line of attack, I may have to get more of them !!

Thanks for the info !

DJ

fishead
01-29-2013, 09:58 AM
Kool report wish i could get out there more man i am missing out im itchimg to go wet my Line i love using plastics trollimg is kool too great catch well earned.

5150fishn
01-29-2013, 08:20 PM
Way to break in the new lures! Congrats on a great day at the Vine.

BigBass777
01-29-2013, 11:17 PM
Nice fish! Those big fish can make you work for them. Glad this one didn't get away.

The lakes that stock Nebraska Tailwalkers, they are known to cause havoc when hooking a big one. They try and wrap your anchor line, the trolling motor, other peoples anchors, buoy lines, shoreline structure etc. or any docks should any be around

OC ANGLER
01-29-2013, 11:43 PM
Great report!

vdubfiend
01-30-2013, 10:48 AM
I haven't seen those around yet..
Pink/bubble gum Is always a good color out there
Thx for the report

Big Willy
01-30-2013, 04:12 PM
Saw you out there. I was in one of the little rental doing laps around the area. Great fishing on monday, good catch man. Im going to try some bait & wait and trolling on friday in the same area. Hoping for the same outcome. Did you pick up your lunker pin?

GdHkSet1
01-30-2013, 08:10 PM
Awesome job, thanks for the cool report.

Hunt4Fish
01-30-2013, 09:54 PM
Jbfish, VineVideo’s, Fishead, 5150fishin, BigBass777, OC ANGLER, vdubfiend, Big Willy, GdHkSet1, appreciate all the props, it is so cool when you are on something that is working great, I have got so much good info from everyone here over the years that I had to post up, the bite is incredible right now even with the full moon, we got 10 fish today also, if you go to today’s recent catches (irvinelake.net) you will see my buddy (Brett) that I took out today with a 16lb limit, we did the exact same thing as Monday, trolled the hot pink flickershads and then baited down with the chartreuse pinched crawlers, biggest fish today was a 4.80 and my buddy was bummed he missed the lunker pin weight, we asked Jimmy if it was close enough and he said “nope, it’s gotta be 5 or bigger!” We called him “The Lunker Cop”, ha! The reason I have been getting out here during the week is my job (electrician) is delayed right now so I’m out on the boat waiting for my phone to ring with no complaints :). I can’t say exactly where I was anchoring because a couple of others are in on this hot bite spot but I will say it’s in 10 feet of water and it’s not up front. As far as trolling I am seeing others getting them in all the spots. And to Big Willy: Yep saw you hooking up too, good luck Friday, you'll get em, and YES I did get my Lunker Pin from Jimmy for the 7 lber on Monday, he didn’t have a problem giving that one up LOL. Thanks again guys! Hunt4Fish outtttttt ! ( I’m changing my name for one week to “Found the Fish”)

Big Willy
02-03-2013, 12:08 PM
Nice to meet you in person man. We had sooooo much fun on friday that after camping friday night we decided to chill and take it easy on the fishing Saturday. We hiked around the lake on some trails. Took pictures of birds and had a relaxing day of acting like kids. Fishing from shore and laughing at some of the outfits that people were wearing while shore fishing. One dude was dressed in a captains hat and a blazer. Looked as if he pulled up on a luxury yacht to shore fish. Even had a big cigar. Great trip had by all. My buddy lives 8 miles away from Irvine lake and had a really stressful last month. He was really grumpy when he showed up Friday and by the time we left Saturday he was in such good spirits and ready for another crazy month. He has fished one other time with myself and is not in to it. But, he asked if he could pay 24 dollars to hike on the trails and do photography. I think that's ok. He had no idea Irvine Lake had so much wilderness around it so close to his house. I wonder what percent of So cal people know how wild and enjoyable irvine lake really is. Seems like it should be more crowded for more than just fishing. This was my first time exploring Irvine not caring about catching fish. I still had a blast. Next month Im bringing my 1/5th scale out of retirement to tear up the track I just noticed. Watch out track. All they need is a shooting range and I would never leave.lol

Hunt4Fish
02-06-2013, 09:47 PM
Nice to meet you too Willy, nice limits on Friday on my Monday numbers, I'm always doing recon myself haha! Glad your friend got to feel the wildeness enviorment. I meet 1st timers all the time and they have the same reaction, feels like your up in Big Bear but without a house insight and you still have gas in your tank. Nice rod wraps dude, the graphics are one of a kind, I'm going to hit you up wrap one for my girls birthday. Dave and I ended up with seven for the day, not bad fror 4 hours. Well I got that phone call so I won't be fishing midweek anytime soon, you guys that are fishing midweek are living the dream !!!
H4F