PDA

View Full Version : Sarl 1/28/2013

Kingfisher2
01-28-2013, 05:01 PM
Well, I finally made it to SARL for the first time today and got SKUNKED! Not even a bite! The only thing that made me feel better is that I only saw one guy that caught two decent size fish.
Don't get me wrong, I mostly fish for the therapeutic reason of it. The relaxation, peace and quiet of it all. I never go expecting to catch a fish. However, after reading everything on here and reading the SARL website, I really am surprised I didn't catch anything. I did everything that people recommended. I fished the shore around the bubble hole, I used rainbow pb with and without hatchery dust, chartreuse pb, mice tails, power worms, both with lip ripperz sent and without. I was using lightweight rods, one with 2# test and the other with 4#, size 16 treble hook for pb and size 8 egg hook for the worm and mice tails. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining or talking crap about SARL. We all know the ole saying that if there was a guarantee to catch fish, it would be called catching, not fishing. I'm just letting everyone know about my experience just as I would if I had caught my limit five times over. If anybody can offer some advice for next time, I would appreciate it. Otherwise, for those of you who also have been skunked there (or anywhere else), it happens to the best of us.

Fish on!

JAG107
01-28-2013, 05:53 PM
I find it absolutely impossible to believe you didn't catch any fish using the "should be illegal" hatchery angel dust! That stuff is supposed to call in the fish from miles away!
All kidding aside, with the full moon and the storm blowing out, I don't find it so hard to believe. At least it was a nice cool day out today! My buddy managed a 24 hr limit of 15 this weekend, all 1 lb fish and he said they were all out deep, nothing shallow for him. You'll get em next time man!

Kingfisher2
01-28-2013, 06:08 PM
Haha Thanks Jag. You know, I didn't even think about the moon. Some say that it has nothing to do with the bite but I beg to differ. I don't think I've ever had a really good day fishing when it was a full moon.
Thanks again.

don218
01-28-2013, 07:43 PM
I'm not surprised you had such a bad day, because I experienced the same type of day on Sunday. I fish with 4 other guys and we only pulled out 3 trout and possibly had 1 other bite. We fished both lakes from 6:30 am to 3:30 pm and witnessed at most 4 trout(aside from our 3) being caught within eyesight. Either the weather had a negative effect on the bite or the lake is somewhat fished out after the 24 hour fishing days. It's also possible that the fish are in deeper water.

Marley
01-28-2013, 09:41 PM
The lake is definitely fishing a bit differently than it did last year, but it is fishing much like it did a lot of years ago. Fish were in tight then for a couple of days after a plant but then moved out into deeper water as the fishing pressure thinned out the hungry ones and forced the rest to move (or scared the spots off of them). My brother and I fished those times on Mondays, after a Wednesday plant, and we almost always caught limits. What it feels like to me is that the lake is fishing a lot like the old days.
Which means hanging that bait in tight, no more than an honest 15 feet out in most places, until the sun first hits the water. 15 minutes after that, reel it in and move it out ten feet and do that every 20 minutes until you find the fish or until you're as far as you can cast and still keep the bait on the hook. But keep your second rod in tight because the really big ones seem never to move out very far.
And don't forget to bring the nightcrawlers. Ye olde garden hackle.

edit: BTW, we almost never caught limits on the full moon.

Surfnsnowboard3
01-28-2013, 09:49 PM
I agree fully with the storm moving out and full moon affecting the bite. I had some buddies go to Corona where it was slower than usual.

elfarolitojr03
01-29-2013, 01:11 AM
was there today too. I was on the green float tube fishing next to the bubble hole. I think i might have talked to you guys for a while. Ended up getting the big skunk as well. Sucks i know but its part of fishing. Maybe next time we'll do better.

50%50%
01-29-2013, 04:56 AM
1/28/13
6:30am-3:40pm 9 hours, one on N/C one on white M/T ------------------ FAR OUT 4' Leader
3:40pm-4:00pm 20 minutes bendo bendo and bendo again chartreuse pb--- 15' feet out 6" Leader
Never ever go home early like Mr.Bendo said

Kingfisher2
01-29-2013, 09:55 AM
was there today too. I was on the green float tube fishing next to the bubble hole. I think i might have talked to you guys for a while. Ended up getting the big skunk as well. Sucks i know but its part of fishing. Maybe next time we'll do better.

How's it going Bro, we didn't talk, I was the guy sitting by himself with the big straw hat. I would've thought it was just me if it weren't for the fact that I didn't see anybody else catching. Next time for sure!

smokehound
01-29-2013, 04:49 PM
Shoulda tossed some spoons and jigged micro grubs.

Tube Killer
01-29-2013, 07:23 PM
King Fisher
The fish have been out deeper for a couple of weeks a lot of rats hanging there easy limits. Toad Road was killing it for a while and always will... but the non stop action has been out deeper from that area. The fat Loyds are hanging out ..OR.. where I keep seeing them caught and on my fish finder has been between La Palma point and Levits from the shore where most were caught I believe to about 200 feet out..
I'm there tubing at least once a week you are using the right set up it sounds. Don't give up on SARL I've seen a many Trophy Fish caught there this month.
Good luck man.

vdubfiend
01-29-2013, 10:27 PM
Where is "the road" at SARL?
I've always fished by bubble hole, 3 pipes, birdhouse or Chris pond