PDA

View Full Version : Need new rod for pier

Charlessyverson
01-28-2013, 03:56 PM
I will be fishing crystal and Oceanside piers at the beginning of April and would like a recommendation on a pier rod to purchase. I would probably mainly fish bait, maybe for halibut or anything else that will bite. Anyone have any recommendations for me? I would ideally like a travel rod and have been looking at the 7'6" st croix tidemaster in either medium (3/8-3/4 oz) or medium heavy (1/2-1 1/4 oz). Would either of these work, one better than the other, or go a different route?

Thanks for any help you can send my way!

skunked4life
01-28-2013, 05:13 PM
Are you going to use the rod strictly for pier use? If so, unless those piers are guaranteed producers, I would not/could not imagine spending more than $100 max for both rod and reel. Now, if you are looking to do a little surf fishing/pier fishing/ inshore bass fishing, the st.croix you mentioned would be a nice investment, but for just pier fishing, it is alot of dough.

Keep in mind that this advice is coming from a tackle whore who mainly surf fishes for perch, croakers and the occasional halibut. My $0.02 are probably worth more like $0.01 due to inflation. :LOL: