PDA

View Full Version : Corona 1-27

vegas fish slayer
01-28-2013, 12:15 PM
Decided to bring my son this week and let him get in the tube for the first time. He was so excited to have a day where it was just him and I fishing together. Couldnt get him to goto sleep for anything. He seemed more excited than if it was Christmas. Morning finally comes and he is READY! I mean ready like come on Dad get your waders on its time. So after getting everything set up and divided up we were off. I had him dress warm and put on his life jacket. I set him up with a drop shot white worm and on his second rod i put on a new lure that im trying out. (sorry cant release the name yet) We kick away from the shore behind the bait shop where we normally park. My son Dexter, is roaring to go. I tell him to kick away twoards the boat dock and turn around and wait. I would be right there. Before i can get to him he is hooked up yelling DAD DAD at the top of his lungs from excitement. I kick to him like a mad man and got it all on the gopro. He got the fish netted and it literally brought tears to my eyes. Any dad out there will know exactally what im talking about. He got it on the dropshot white worm with the Bite on Garlic. Got his fish on the stringer and his confidence is thru the roof. This is when the smack talking began. "Dad how many do you have on the stringer, Dad how come you dont have any yet?, Dad whats taking you so long i thought you were the fish slayer?" LOL He is a spitting image of me. Within a couple minutes Dex is hooked up again but this time it gets off while trying to net it. The fishing was good behind the bait shop but i wanted to go check the other side since the water is up so high from last week. We get over there and im greeted with a double hook up right off the bat. 2 2lbers one on the dropshot green worm and other on the new lure. We stayed over there for a while and got a few but Dex was hungry so we kicked back to eat some lunch. We grubbed down our sandwiches and back out we went. Dex was stuck on the drop shot so he stuck with that. The kid was on fire!! He would hook one then another then another. He had it dialed. I pretty much was focused on him all day just watching him bounce his rod and swing for the fences when he got bit. We both got limits very easily. White, Orange,and green was the ticket. Either the worm mice tail or "new lure" was all very productive. The lake is FULL of fish right now and the raise in water level only seemed to make it better. While i was out in the water at the top end of the lake , south end, i heard a splashing in the newly sunken brush. I looked over there and saw a GIANT jumping around splashing making all kinds of comotion. While i was making a B-Line over there i got a real good look at him and I swear on my sons life that monster was atleast 20+lbs!!! When i got over there where i saw him i threw everything i had in there and could not get him to bite. If that is only 1 GIANT i saw you know there is 20 others you cant. Hopefully that BEAST will be ready to chew so I can catch him next week when it matters. It would be awesome to come in to weigh in with a absolute TOAD!!!! I will post up Video and pics tonight when im done editing. Thanks for reading guys and lets have a super fun tournament this weekend!!!

Prowler_Tuber
01-28-2013, 12:17 PM
Thats awesome!!!!

Poxy Boggards
01-28-2013, 12:32 PM
Nice job out there, sounds like another one is hooked for life! Can't wait to see the video!

fishinglakes.com
01-28-2013, 12:35 PM
GREAT report Tim!! How old is your son? Can't wait to see the video!
Thanks!
Craig

Prowler_Tuber
01-28-2013, 12:47 PM
Thanks!
Craig

Is it too late for a kids division, maybe have some cool toy as a prize. Im sure someone would donate especially if it promotes activity in kids, just food for thought.

aftahour
01-28-2013, 01:07 PM
great father and son day!

vegas fish slayer
01-28-2013, 01:54 PM
Thanks!
Craig

Dexter is 11 years old. We have been racing dirtbikes since he was 4. This year we have taken a break from racing so we could do other stuff. Dex hasnt been all about fishing in the past. He goes out once in a while fishing for stripers at Lake Mead or for cats at Havasu but for the most part he would rather go to the skatepark or play the xbox. He had a absolute ball this weekend and is already asking when he can go again. I might have created a monster. All the guys on the water yesterday were super helpful with him like if he got tangled and i wasnt right at his side they would help or offer suggestions on what he wasnt doing quite right. I couldnt be prouder of him. Thats my Dog!!

fishinglakes.com
01-28-2013, 06:27 PM
Dexter is 11 years old. We have been racing dirtbikes since he was 4. This year we have taken a break from racing so we could do other stuff. Dex hasnt been all about fishing in the past. He goes out once in a while fishing for stripers at Lake Mead or for cats at Havasu but for the most part he would rather go to the skatepark or play the xbox. He had a absolute ball this weekend and is already asking when he can go again. I might have created a monster. All the guys on the water yesterday were super helpful with him like if he got tangled and i wasnt right at his side they would help or offer suggestions on what he wasnt doing quite right. I couldnt be prouder of him. Thats my Dog!!

That's great to hear about the sportsmanship and cooperation on the water, very cool. Yep, 11 is the perfect age to begin a serious addiction for fishing. I was fully hooked by then.

BTW, I like the idea of adding Kids, category for our Tournaments. We will work on it for the following event after this one at Corona this Saturday.
Thanks,
Craig

Hunter Of Fish
01-30-2013, 02:54 AM
Get the boy some fishing games for his X-box ! It helps to reinforce those "good" habits ! Hee hee! That's what I did for my
boy . I call it "cross training" !