PDA

View Full Version : Barometric pressure

Nipple Twister
01-27-2013, 03:01 PM
Ok, we all know barometric pressure effects fishing, how and to what degree is a topic in of itself but what I was wondering is how do YOU let it effect your scheduled sessions? Do you let it apply as a large condition indicator? Will you wait for that pressure level you feel is optimum? Do you know if it has effected your session when monitored?

Thanks in advance for any input you have on this topic...........:Wink:

exfactor
01-30-2013, 11:02 PM
Ok John, when a front is moving in, normally the wind is from the south, or east. There are alot of times when there is yet no wind from it. But, conditions are backwards from what you would consider normal, because of the east wind. I'm referencing with a boat now, but it still pertains to fishing the shore as well. Pre frontal conditions are where there starts to be a change in the temperature, and usually wind direction. Bass guys love to fish this time, because it changes the locations of fish where they are set up, due to the wind pushing the bait into different locations. The degree of a change has alot to do with how the fish are going to react. So it's still a crap shoot as to guessing if they are gonna play, or not. The best big bass day I've ever had, it was blowing 25, rain was in the forecast, but just a blustery day. For an hour, every bass was at least 5#, with my big 1 going 10. Then, just like that, it stopped. Went the next day in rainy conditions, for not a bite. Post frontal times usually mean wind behind the storm, if anything, the wind will dictate more of a reason to shine my plans, then the rain. BUT, I'm sticking with my favorite saying regarding fishing in general, which is "the best time to go fishing, is when you can". Hope this helps. Mikey

Which Way Out
01-31-2013, 06:43 AM
I will second Mikes comment on the pre front conditions.

Many years ago I fished primarily Large Mouth Bass. Of course my PB bass was just before a cold front moved in and over took the typical "NICE" conditions for a relaxing day of fishing.

Now that I have been fishing with Mikey, I have learned that many many different factors will dictate how and where to fish. Near shore in the ocean, current plays a major factor as to when a bite will turn on and off. Being able to distinguish what the conditions are at any giving time is the hard part. Time on the water with someone that can teach you is priceless.. I still need more time on the water to actually gauge the differences.

Fresh water fishing, I have found to be more about sunlight, shadows and structure when it comes to Bass fishing. Lure selection, color of the lure and the presentation either slow or fast. Water temperatures, we could talk about that alone for hours.

Gotta run John. Don't want to be late for work.
See you in a few weeks. Good topic

WWO

Nipple Twister
02-03-2013, 12:47 PM
Mikey, your Yodaness, thanks for the reply. I would have figured an "ol salt" such as yourself would adhere to the "is when you can" rule of fishing and deal with whatever conditions present themselves, many others might second guess based on Intel.

1. Pre Frontal

2. Biggest enemy, wind.......all others: Improvise, adapt and overcome!

Thanks for the info, is well received and noted.........

Nipple Twister
02-03-2013, 12:56 PM
BILLY.......thx for posting my friend.......an anglers future can be weighed heavily on "where and who" he spends his attention and how well it is applied on what is actually retained. Learning what to "see" that was previously blind too is some of the amazing aspects of this therapy sport for me.......... I will wanna talk water current and temp next, thx brother

jerryG
02-06-2013, 12:22 AM
My experience has been that in saltwater fish become more active just before a storm rolls in. Like Mikey has mentioned it can be windy and rough just before a rain storm rolls in or it can be windless, calm, and dark in either condition the fish seem to go on the chew. Its as if they feel the pressure change telling them that the conditions are about to take a turn for the worse and it may be a while before they feed again so they had better load up now.

Once a front moves in I don't bother fishing saltwater in the rain because of poor conditions plus the rain is just about my favorite condition for fishing freshwater. Each year/ season some of my best days fishing freshwater occur on rainy days. The harder it rains the better the fishing.. I mostly fish freshwater bass but it seems like every type of fish in the lake become active when its raining. The water running down in to the water flowing down the banks washes insects and lots of worms in to the lake. The smaller fish in the lake move to up towards the shoreline to feast on the worms and insects the bass move up to feed on the smaller fish. Catfish become especially active in the rain. When its raining I will catch fish with gobs of worms in there mouths but when the rain stops and the sun comes out following a storm the bite shuts off and the fishing typically gets really tough. This has been my experience. When a storm is rolling in I try to free up my time and get out on the water.

JerryG