PDA

View Full Version : Real Fishing

Carptain_Bao
01-27-2013, 12:20 AM
Just read the thread in the DVL report.
Learnt a lot from it I will say. I go to pay lake when I got money and time. But mostly irvine because of the beautiful scenery. I enjoyed fishing there just like everywhere else. I like the tournaments they put on as well, they may not be real tournaments as someone may argue, but there is still a sense of competition going on.
But after I read about what other anglers were talking about how we need to find the patterns in all the lakes because they all get tough from time to time. Very true. I remembered how hard I worked my butt off at SFD this year to just catch those carp and cats. I bet it is much harder when you go for lmb. bassfishing 24/7 was right, skunk happens, lots of times.
Keep fishing, no matter where you fish, city parks, dvl, perris, the vine, sarl, corona. Persistence always pays off, sooner or later.
Tight lines in 2013!
And since it is 2013, time for me to make a switch, gonna focus on bass fishing this whole year, which means there could be many skunks, I won't back down 'cus i still remember the days I fish peck road park. 1 fish in 6 months, I'm still fishing now, and will always be fishing.

TonyLisa
01-27-2013, 08:02 AM
Start building up your tackle Bao bass gonna start biting like crazy in late February, that's the best time to learn. Hit me up ill show you some of my tricks of the trade.

billystein
01-27-2013, 08:39 AM
i am a great fan of gettin em when the gettin is good. this time sucks for me because of the rockfish closed season. i got my boat just over a year ago and have searched far and wide for a good spot close to shore. when the wind or the swells come up even a little it is too rough for me to head out to anacapa. i found a good spot only a couple of miles out of channel islands harbor. plenty of brown rockfish ,cabazon and lings. even a few small calicos.
this area is not like samo bay or any of the southern areas.the weather is much colder. cloudy like up north. i have yet to catch a mackerel or cuda ,bonita or sand bass. the landings all specialize in rockfish. now the landings are targeting perch,dabs and crabs.
i will go out a time or 2 and try the halibut action near the beach. i think i just need to learn a few more tricks.

Stinkbait
01-27-2013, 12:09 PM
Carptain:
Good choice man. The rewards are great. I been seeing your trout reports on the Irvine page. One bass on a tough day is so much more rewarding than 5 stockers. Irvine is a beautiful lake and a great bass fishery. Still somewhat under the radar. I'm a rental boat guy and had have big day weights there.

Like others have said, my bass bag is three times my trout bag. If someone was a nube, which you are not, I would recommend one small bag of dropshot gear and maybe 3-4 reaction baits or something you can work faster like a jig.

Remember on a tough day, the day can always be salvaged with a drop shot or pro senko in 10 feet of water. A few 10 inchers can always be had at most lakes.

smokehound
01-27-2013, 05:34 PM
I do best this time of year for LMB with a "bounce-bounce-pause for 2 minutes and stare at female joggers til i feel a tap" motion.