PDA

View Full Version : What is a good, sharp fillet knife I can buy

Kingfisher2
01-26-2013, 11:04 AM
Hey guys, I'm looking for a good, sharp fillet knife for cleaning fish. There's a bunch out there but I don't know which is better. Any thoughts?

skunked4life
01-26-2013, 12:22 PM
Speaking from experience from both the amateur and professional perspectives, the answer is it depends.

In the kitchen, I used a stiff high grade Japanese sushi knife to filet. One main reason was because these knives were generally longer and we butchered large fish quite often. Depending upon whether I needed precision, I went back and forth between a Japanese brand (which I cannot remember) and my good ole standby, Forschner (by Victornox).

At home, where I am likely dealing with fish that I caught (which are not too big), I like a more flexible knife. Without a price range, I cannot give you more detail, but I typically use a Forschner at home for most filleting. Now, when I need precision cuts, I stand by, and always will stand by Kyocera ceramic knives. The only draw back is that these suckers are stiff. Years ago, these knives came in small sizes and were expensive. These days, there are a wide selection of lengths to choose from and they are typically $50 to $200 with lifetime free sharpeneing in Costa Mesa.

For steel knives, generally, if you are handy with a steel and stone, any mid-grade knife can be sharpened to make great cuts.

Bottom line, for cheaper but still quality knives, I say go with Forschner. If you are using them out by the water, then go with the nylon handles for food safety reasons. Others that I have used and recommend are Kyocera, Wustoff, Miyabi and Bob Kramer (the last 2 are super high end).

Jess
01-26-2013, 12:55 PM
DEXTER, makes an excellent filet knife.

Kingfisher2
01-26-2013, 12:57 PM
Thanks a lot. Good info there. I have Miyabi for my kitchen knives and would love a Bob Kramer or two if I could afford it. I know how to use a sharpening stone pretty well so I think I will take your advice and go with a mid-grade knife. Thanks for the help.