PDA

View Full Version : Glen Helen 1/25/13

J-Dub
01-25-2013, 05:05 PM
First time in my fishing career i have bought a license. All of my life ive either fished private lakes or pier fishing. Decided to buy one this year to fish the local lakes to save on gas. Anyways went to Glen Helen today thinking it was going to be a great day of fishing boy was i wrong.....I thought today it would be crowded but it wasnt. Got to the lake at around 9ish talk to a guy there who said the county stocked today. He said this week the lake got stocked twice. Sure didnt seem like it!!!! Fished the big lake and the little lake for nothing. I threw different color powerbaits and power worms didnt get anything. Some people jigging by the bait house caught a few but it didnt look like the lake was just stocked. Even the birds were just swiming around the lake but they werent diving for fish. think next time ill try Guasti.

smokinflies
01-26-2013, 07:53 PM
Bummer bout the skunk. Usaully do well on the drop shot there.

Socalbassmaster
01-26-2013, 08:01 PM
Good luck at Gausti LOL if u think Glen Hellen is hard ur in for a real surprise then if u go to Gausti.

peterng0
01-26-2013, 08:57 PM
Fishing is usually slow on Jess Ranch stocks which is what you went on.. Also, on Jess Ranch stocks, they put the fish in on Wednesdays instead of Thursday so they might have been fished out on Thursday.. (doubt it though) Try drop-shotting for them and working it really slow, I've noticed they prefer that method over mini jigs.. (slower presentation I guess).

Give it another shot next week when the county stocks it with the Calaveras farms. I've had very good luck there in the past and at other county lakes when it's a Calaveras stock using mini jigs, can easily turn into a 20 + fish day.

Good luck!

Cartman
01-28-2013, 05:25 PM
Fishing is usually slow on Jess Ranch stocks which is what you went on.. Also, on Jess Ranch stocks, they put the fish in on Wednesdays instead of Thursday so they might have been fished out on Thursday.. (doubt it though) Try drop-shotting for them and working it really slow, I've noticed they prefer that method over mini jigs.. (slower presentation I guess).

Give it another shot next week when the county stocks it with the Calaveras farms. I've had very good luck there in the past and at other county lakes when it's a Calaveras stock using mini jigs, can easily turn into a 20 + fish day.

Good luck!

I like fishing at Glen Helen, and I almost always catch fish there. But I have never had anywhere near a 20+ fish day, easily or otherwise. Would you mind sharing some info on how you catch 20 fish in a day at Glen Helen. I'd be happy to stop at 5. I'm planning on fishing black mini-jigs four or five feet under a rattle bobber near the snack bar my next time out.

peterng0
01-28-2013, 11:25 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Glen Helen but I don't really do anything special, I just fish a black minnow/fry on a 1/32 jig head and work it at all depths and walk till I find a school willing to bite. Had good luck at the smaller lake on the cement platform where the benches are.

I actually just talked to my friends about this the other day and it's all about presentation, we can fish the same thing and still not hook up as many even though the other person is fishing right next to you..

Cartman
01-29-2013, 08:59 AM
I'm not a huge fan of Glen Helen but I don't really do anything special, I just fish a black minnow/fry on a 1/32 jig head and work it at all depths and walk till I find a school willing to bite. Had good luck at the smaller lake on the cement platform where the benches are.

I actually just talked to my friends about this the other day and it's all about presentation, we can fish the same thing and still not hook up as many even though the other person is fishing right next to you..

Can't help but agree to that. :Thumbs Up: I've always heard that the big lake near the snack bar is the hot spot, but the man who works there told me he splits the stocking equally between the two lakes, and since one lake is smaller and probably less fished...well, it seems like a good place to start. I've also done well on that concrete platform and casting toward it from the opposite shore. Thanks for that advice.

One more question, though. I am going to hit it with a black Pee-wee mini-jig (everybody oughta check out these Pee-wee products). What exactly are you calling a "black minnow/fry?"

peterng0
01-29-2013, 06:39 PM
Yeah, that cove is good too.

My friend pours plastics and makes a fry/minnow like plastic and I usually fish his products.

It looks like this:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c192/nubz0rz/20130129_1835061_zps5a298a1c.jpg

Frequent Flyer
01-29-2013, 07:03 PM
Can't help but agree to that. :Thumbs Up: I've always heard that the big lake near the snack bar is the hot spot, but the man who works there told me he splits the stocking equally between the two lakes, and since one lake is smaller and probably less fished...well, it seems like a good place to start. I've also done well on that concrete platform and casting toward it from the opposite shore. Thanks for that advice.

One more question, though. I am going to hit it with a black Pee-wee mini-jig (everybody oughta check out these Pee-wee products). What exactly are you calling a "black minnow/fry?"
Those black are fish killers, just watch out though, some fish are racist....

Cartman
01-29-2013, 07:33 PM
Yeah, that cove is good too.

My friend pours plastics and makes a fry/minnow like plastic and I usually fish his products.

It looks like this:

Thanks for sending the picture. It looks good. Seems like a lot of people are making their own plastic baits these days. I recently got some things that look like that only instead of black they're clear with hologram specks in them.

Well, I'm going tomorrow, and I'm changing my approach, at least for half the day. I usually soak powerbait on one rod and d/s a worm on the other. Instead, I'm going to walk around the lake casting a mini-jig under a bobber, and, like you say, try to find a school that's willing to bite. Thanks for the tips.

Cartman
01-29-2013, 07:34 PM
Those black are fish killers, just watch out though, some fish are racist....

har har har yeah, maybe they only like chartreuse worms.

flybynight
01-30-2013, 03:03 AM
Glen Helen at 1 time was just a 1 lake park wayback when. I used to live on Cajon Blvd and could walk to that park and fish FREE. Caught a 10lb. cat there ..It was the record at that time, but that was back in the 70's, time changes things