PDA

View Full Version : Poway Trout Derby!

Bassman1414
01-24-2013, 07:15 PM
Hey guys, Bassman1414 here. I am gonna fish in the kids trout derby at lake poway. i am going to attempt to fly fish in it and hopefully not embarass my self.:Embarrassed: Any ways I got some fly gear for free. :Cool: My Grampa gave me these super old rods and reels on is a martin 1950 and some rainbow reels fly reel. He also gave me some old 9 ft rod that says three things and I don't know which one the brand is the three are Salty Mills, another is Conlon, and another one says falcon. He also gave me another 8.3 ft rod. It is a heddon Gal. Anyways I need to get some line. Can you recommend some line. For example like weight forward line or what weight. Im a nooby to this so any help is much appreciated. I learned how to tie a few flies like a wooly bugger and wooly worm. I am also going to bring my other trout gear too. The tournament is on Feb. 9 at like 5:30 in the morning.:Sad: You have to be 16 or younger to fish in it. They have some cool prizes and its really fun. Anyways any help for the trout tournament and the fly fishing is much appreciated.Tightlines.
Bassman1414

seal
01-24-2013, 07:45 PM
Fly fished Poway countless times, lived in the city for quite a few years. From shore you'll want to go with a floating line with a beadhead bugger probably the easiest way to go.

I've caught a ton of um on the fly from my tube there. A little flash in your presentation at the pay to fish lakes is always good. A standard would be sparkle buggers in black. I'd get out there and get some practice in first, with all the people it might be tough from shore, not sure how comfortable you are with a fly rod but you don't want to give somebody an unwanted ear piercing.

A long while back an older guy that worked for me gave me all his fly gear, I'd played around with fly fishing as a kid but hadn't picked up a rod in years. Very basic equipment but that's all you need to get hooked (so to speak).

Good luck to ya let us know how you do!

Bassman1414
01-24-2013, 08:06 PM
Thank you for the information seal. I have never even casted a fly rod. I am going on staurday if it does not rain to get some practice in at cerriotis.