PDA

View Full Version : Striped Bass

Poseidon
01-24-2013, 10:01 AM
are striped bass fishable in the rain?
and is it better to work my swimbaits slower because it is cold?

seal
01-24-2013, 10:20 AM
No stripers hate water.

Never heard of striper weather?

Of course this was an obvious setup for a joke but the answer is yes they like overcast lowlight conditions. As far as the cold statement, if the water is cold like many fish they can become more lethargic therefore a slower presentation might be better but not always. If the water drops into the low 50's things can slow down quite a bit in lakes they will seek out the deeper water where the water will actually be warmer than up top. If we are talking Aquaduct temp. then since depth of the water is not too great I'd bounce a jig or fluke off the bottom where they are probably holding.

Poseidon
01-24-2013, 11:34 AM
No stripers hate water.

Never heard of striper weather?

Of course this was an obvious setup for a joke but the answer is yes they like overcast lowlight conditions. As far as the cold statement, if the water is cold like many fish they can become more lethargic therefore a slower presentation might be better but not always. If the water drops into the low 50's things can slow down quite a bit in lakes they will seek out the deeper water where the water will actually be warmer than up top. If we are talking Aquaduct temp. then since depth of the water is not too great I'd bounce a jig or fluke off the bottom where they are probably holding.

I never knew that, I'm new to striper fishing so I'm still getting the hang of things, hopefully I can get out on the water this next couple of days and catch a few

smokehound
01-25-2013, 02:52 AM
You're in for a treat if the weather is stormy, regardless of species.

For some reason, really unstable weather really gets fish active.. Might be kinda scary though, being isolated next to a long metal fence O_O

Jmac
01-25-2013, 07:07 AM
Headed to the wood right now. I hope they're hot

Poseidon
01-25-2013, 11:50 AM
Headed to the wood right now. I hope they're hot

goodluck! let me know what happens

Poseidon
01-25-2013, 11:51 AM
You're in for a treat if the weather is stormy, regardless of species.

For some reason, really unstable weather really gets fish active.. Might be kinda scary though, being isolated next to a long metal fence O_O

I hope dude! Need to catch a striper soon

Jmac
01-25-2013, 05:56 PM
No luck! Had one follower that didn't commit over in miller canyon. Also fished cleghorn and rock quarry areas for a little but no love. I'm thinking I should give it a break because its been slow going and my patience are running thin.

fishinarteest
01-25-2013, 09:32 PM
I know right before a storm is a good time to fish 'em. I've never really had any luck during though. The only time i ever catch fishing during rain is if I am fishing trout.