PDA

View Full Version : What's the point of light flourocarbon line?

Jbfish
01-23-2013, 09:34 AM
Since flourocarbon line is supposed to be invisible in water than what is the point of getting lighter line. Why not get 10# line for trout with a 10# leader and never lose a fish! If its all invisible anyway right? *Jbfish*

-mike
01-23-2013, 12:30 PM
If fish relied solely on their eyesight then it would make sense to use heavy fluorocarbon line. But fish also can detect vibration in the water.

When you're fishing with a jig or plastic worm then your line is twitching and moving through the water and the fish can detect the vibration of heavy line
If you're bait fishing in very murky water then it's probably ok to use heavy line since your line isn't moving it's not giving off any vibration

Carptain_Bao
01-23-2013, 06:12 PM
So are you saying that all fluorocarbon lines are invisible? No matter what pound test it is. I'm just talkin about visibility not vibration.

Jbfish
01-23-2013, 07:05 PM
So are you saying that all fluorocarbon lines are invisible? No matter what pound test it is. I'm just talkin about visibility not vibration.

I'm not sure that's why I'm asking haha

Cartman
01-23-2013, 07:10 PM
Try it and find out.

Carptain_Bao
01-23-2013, 08:44 PM
I'm not sure that's why I'm asking haha
Should have quoted mike, was asking him, seems that he knows something about the fluorocarbon.

Tubbytuba
01-23-2013, 08:59 PM
floro is great, you can up size slightly because it is "invisible" but, fish can feel water displacement through their lateral lines. a two pound test line is much less likely to be felt . some fish just don't care. i suggest you go ahead and try the #10 theory. you will not be very successful on a regular basis. sure it might work once, but then again a bare hook can catch a fish every once in a while, but how often do people fish with bare hooks? the point is, fish will be more likely to hit your offering on lighter tackle, period.

bman90278
01-24-2013, 06:02 AM
Since flourocarbon line is supposed to be invisible in water than what is the point of getting lighter line. Why not get 10# line for trout with a 10# leader and never lose a fish! If its all invisible anyway right? *Jbfish*

10# flouro on a trout rod is not a good match for a trout specific rod.
Just wondering what u are throwing with ur set up because u might not even want to use flouro as it might not be good for your presentation. Maybe u could go with a 6 or 4 lb flouro mainline with a 2 or 4 lb leader if u are C rigging. That would definitely improve the sensibility on your setup and still be good for ur presentation.

I use 6 lb flouro for bass on my drop shot rod and rarely get broken off.

-b