PDA

View Full Version : F/S USED "RARE" Sage IV 490 2-piece SP

Liteweight
01-21-2013, 10:49 PM
If there are any Fly Fishing "Fanatics" on this site, I apologize :Embarrassed:. I meant to list this rod for sale here first to give you guys the first shot at a rare (hard to find) Sage Graphite IV 9' 4-weight 2-piece rod. This rod first came out in the mid '90's (1994 I think). Google the rod, don't take my word for it, but IMHO this is maybe one of the best freshwater fly rods ever built. SAGE made a BIG mistake discontinuing it in 2000. :mad:
I took very good care of this rod though it has seen much use for the two years I actually used it. I was so impressed with it, I built myself a custom 3-piece travel version which I use now. I totally forgot I had this rod because I stuck it in the corner of my walk-in closet and forgot about it. I started to clear out some of the junk and rediscovered it. I always intended to keep it as a spare as Sage no longer has spare blanks for it. So if I broke my 3-piece I'd be a circular plane wrapped helicly around a taperd pole (=SCR3W3D...paraphrased from "the Big Bang Theory" for those of you not aquainted with this analogy).
I already have a bid for #200 on ebay and of the ones I've observed over the last couple of years I've seen them go for up to $300+ :EyePop: but I have a buy it now of $250.00 :Smile: if anyone is interested.

Full Disclaimer: I cleaned it monthly as I used it almost every weekend for the two years I used it. Due to the regular cleaning the finish is a little dull and the cork grip has some swell spots (like a bump from a mosquito bite after scratching it) I have a commercial rod wrapper that also doubles as a lathe and I am buffing out the bumps without taking out any more cork, just making the bumps flush with the regular part of the grip.
It has the original rod sock and original SAGE rod tube. There is no rust on the guides, no missing ones, no major scratches that I've noticed. Personally I'd rate it a 6 out of 10 due to the finish and hopefully I should be successful in removing the bumps so that you'd never know that they were there.
The following is the link to the auction. There are also pictures posted.
Now I don't feel as guilty. :Big Grin:

I've given you guys a heads up.

Liteweight.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181065616008?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649