PDA

View Full Version : Drop shot and split shot trout worms

angelsfan951
01-21-2013, 08:58 PM
well i have a couple questions here when fishing with a drop shot set up do u use a dropper loop on the line then tie the hook there or do u tie the hook straight to the line? I will be using mosquito hooks size 10 or 12. How do u put worm on?? wacky, threaded, or nose hooked?

Now for split shotting ive been doing this quit a bit and have been wacky rigging the worm and been doing pretty good, But how else do u guys recomend me to rig the worm or should i just stay with the wacky rigging? Well i apreciate the help

camo
01-21-2013, 09:20 PM
For split shot #12 hook and wacky rig. Drop shot Palomar knot and #10 or #12 hook up to you if you feel like you miss a lot of hook sets with a #12 then go to a #10 wacky rigged as well.

MexicanPistachio
01-21-2013, 09:21 PM
D/s I tire straight to the line and wacky rig or nose hook depending on the bite. ss I hook thru the nose.st the end of the day it depends on how the fish are biting.

Troutin Man
01-21-2013, 10:03 PM
For split shot #12 hook and wacky rig. Drop shot Palomar knot and #10 or #12 hook up to you if you feel like you miss a lot of hook sets with a #12 then go to a #10 wacky rigged as well.

I second the palomar knot. Best way to go. I sometimes do two hooks and then a bell weight at the bottom, but if the water isn't too deep then go with one hook anywhere between 12 to 18 inches above the weight. Wacky rig or nose hook works fine. Depending on location, mice tails work well as well as a trout worm. Just dip in some type of scent especially if the water is murky.

Good luck!

angelsfan951
01-22-2013, 10:06 PM
thanx for the info guys any1 else has some more input??

Carptain_Bao
01-22-2013, 11:11 PM
For the weight I usually go with a 1/16 or a 1/8 oz on the UL. Work on the presentation of the worm as well.

Frequent Flyer
01-23-2013, 05:54 AM
I'd just stick with the wacky on both dropshot and split shot. I think it gets their attention more, but its a confidence thing, whatever floats your peewee right :Envious:

angelsfan951
01-23-2013, 06:21 PM
I'd just stick with the wacky on both dropshot and split shot. I think it gets their attention more, but its a confidence thing, whatever floats your peewee right :Envious:

well seems in order to get my peewee to float i need new hooks as the size 10 gamakatsu didnt do it lol but ill try the drop shot soon, do u use a dropper loop or tie straight to the line?? and i defintely need to practice more and maybe meet up with u guys soon out there to get some more advice as im new to this whole worm thing lol

Cartman
01-23-2013, 07:08 PM
How you tie the knot for the D/S is very important. You should probably be using 2# line, so your knot has to be right on. You have to keep the two lines of the palomar knot from crossing. Keep them apart, and you will have a knot that I have been told is 30% stronger.

After tying the D/S palomar, the hook needs to be sticking straight out, not backwards or upside down. To get this every time, first start by putting the line in through the eye from the hook side, not from the back. Tie the palomar knot carefully not allowing the lines to cross and pull it tight. Then pass the tag end through the eye from the hook side. The hook will be standing out nice and erect :LOL:.

If your knot is not PERFECT, please take my advice and cut it off and start over. This advice comes from hard earned experience, believe me!

As to multiple hooks on a drop shot, I have never tried that with trout, but I second Bao's advice. Use the 1/16 dropshot weights unless terrible wind conditions make it impossible. When you are thinking about how much weight to use, think about what you want the drop to look like. More weight = faster drop, and it's on the drop when the trout bite. Slower drop is better whether you are doing the dropshot or splitshot because it looks more natural and give the trout a better chance to bite.

Just my :My Two Cents:

HBAR
01-23-2013, 07:15 PM
What cartman said but I saw on a show that if you happen to tie the hook upside down just pass the line back through the eye the other way and it'll flip the hook around. I tied it by mistake upside down and was about to retie but then remembered the show and tried it, yup it worked.