PDA

View Full Version : Puddingstone 1/21/13

Kingfish Addict
01-21-2013, 07:31 PM
Fished the back of sailboat cove with my buddy and kids during the middle of the day, 5 poles in the water, big fat skunk. BUT when we got back to the parking lot, some dude walking to his car had a 2-3lb rainbow on his stringer, said he caught it on chartreuse powerbait. This thing was beautiful, fat, and had an early stage hook jaw. This was by far the biggest trout my buddy and I have EVER seen pulled out of Puddingstone. It gives me a little hope for that lake...and if that's the size of the trout the DFW is stocking this year, thank you! We'll try again soon....and sorry no pic of that fish, it wasn't mine to be taking pictures of.

dday07
01-22-2013, 03:22 PM
Fished the back of sailboat cove with my buddy and kids during the middle of the day, 5 poles in the water, big fat skunk. BUT when we got back to the parking lot, some dude walking to his car had a 2-3lb rainbow on his stringer, said he caught it on chartreuse powerbait. This thing was beautiful, fat, and had an early stage hook jaw. This was by far the biggest trout my buddy and I have EVER seen pulled out of Puddingstone. It gives me a little hope for that lake...and if that's the size of the trout the DFW is stocking this year, thank you! We'll try again soon....and sorry no pic of that fish, it wasn't mine to be taking pictures of.

Depends on the stock...was there one day when stocked and all there were was little ones...just varies.

DMAN
01-22-2013, 07:15 PM
Haven't been there since around the Dec 19th stocking, but that fish sounds like some of the fish they stocked at that time. I caught a decent sized trout with a hooked jaw. I wonder if they have been stocking them that way since late December. Most were pretty small, but they stocked a couple decent sized ones in there.

old pudd fisher
01-22-2013, 07:55 PM
Thanks Kingfish, glad the pudd is ok now and it should be a good spring and summer for panfish.

Kingfish Addict
01-22-2013, 10:31 PM
Depends on the stock...was there one day when stocked and all there were was little ones...just varies.

Ya I guess you never know what you're gonna get when it comes to the DFW. Regardless, a few larger trout have made their way into the Pudd and that's great news at this point...

Cartman
01-23-2013, 07:51 PM
I could probably research this myself, or maybe Smokehound will chime in, but I'm just wondering...aren't the ones with the hook in the jaw all males? My understanding is that the trout farms only sell females to protect their own business by preventing trout from reproducing on their own.

river_fish
01-25-2013, 05:27 PM
I heard pudd had a fish kill last month is that true?

Kingfish Addict
01-25-2013, 11:27 PM
I could probably research this myself, or maybe Smokehound will chime in, but I'm just wondering...aren't the ones with the hook in the jaw all males? My understanding is that the trout farms only sell females to protect their own business by preventing trout from reproducing on their own.

Ya hook jaws only appear in adult males around 2 years old and when they're ready to spawn. They grow the hook jaw as a defense to ward off younger males when spawning season arrives. As far as the trout farm only selling females, I'm not too sure but it makes sense business wise. They're gonna reproduce in the wild no matter what though....bound to happen at some point regardless of what gender they sell.

Kingfish Addict
01-25-2013, 11:36 PM
I heard pudd had a fish kill last month is that true?

Yes, it was minor but it was multi-species. Trout, bass, catfish, shad, bluegill. Most likely culprit was probably stratification/lake turnover, happens when the weather shifts from hot to cold. Oxygen related. Google it, you'll understand it more once you read what stratification is...

smokehound
01-26-2013, 12:36 AM
I could probably research this myself, or maybe Smokehound will chime in, but I'm just wondering...aren't the ones with the hook in the jaw all males? My understanding is that the trout farms only sell females to protect their own business by preventing trout from reproducing on their own.I am not sure if they are sterile, however as I have caught females with healthy skeins full of fat ripe eggs ready to be laid, im assuming the average DVG stocker is not sterile. And sterile males would not develop hookjaws.

I doubt they only sell females, which is pretty much useless, as they will just breed with the resident feral trout..

I could see them doing that with very rare strains, though.

Edit: I've caught a few males as well. The hookjaw is pretty much like fish pubes hahaha

Cartman
01-26-2013, 08:32 AM
ya hook jaws only appear in adult males around 2 years old and when they're ready to spawn. They grow the hook jaw as a defense to ward off younger males when spawning season arrives. As far as the trout farm only selling females, i'm not too sure but it makes sense business wise. They're gonna reproduce in the wild no matter what though....bound to happen at some point regardless of what gender they sell.

jurassic park

Hunter Of Fish
01-26-2013, 11:00 AM
Anyone fishing the South shore swim area ? That has always been a good place for me .
Also the corner of the dam area where the service road comes down there is an areator
over there that is productive .Anyone fishing those areas?

river_fish
01-26-2013, 11:44 AM
Yes, it was minor but it was multi-species. Trout, bass, catfish, shad, bluegill. Most likely culprit was probably stratification/lake turnover, happens when the weather shifts from hot to cold. Oxygen related. Google it, you'll understand it more once you read what stratification is...

thanks but I already know what stratification is. I was just wondering if it was true or not and what kinda fish it was.

smokinflies
01-26-2013, 07:49 PM
I miss fishing the pudd. Thanks for the report.

fishermanx14
01-26-2013, 10:15 PM
Anyone fishing the South shore swim area ? That has always been a good place for me .
Also the corner of the dam area where the service road comes down there is an areator

I am allmost 100% that they closed that gate. I havent been there in a while though

Kingfish Addict
01-26-2013, 11:46 PM

I've lived in San Dimas my whole life and never been aware of an aerator at Puddingstone. Are you sure? And you can only fish the dam area (aka boaters picnic area) by boat but I've heard good stories about that area if you can gain access to it. It's closed to foot traffic. A few weeks ago I walked out on the southern most dam just to check things out, and I got yelled at by the lifeguards in the boathouse....but yes swim beach cove and the area north of the swim beach have produced for my buddies and I.

Kingfish Addict
01-27-2013, 12:16 AM
thanks but I already know what stratification is. I was just wondering if it was true or not and what kinda fish it was.

Sorry, I must've provided too much information and underestimated your level of knowledge...:Bug Eyes:

vortec_cruiser
01-27-2013, 03:31 PM
I am allmost 100% that they closed that gate. I havent been there in a while though

That gate has been closed for decades, along with the gate by the pump house. They were closed about the time Raging Waters was built. Unfortunately, R/W was not a positive addition to Bonelli Regional Park. :Sad:

BUSTER124
01-29-2013, 05:16 AM
Yeah, the fish kill did happen. My buddy went there and saw thousands dead. DFG said oxygen related.