PDA

View Full Version : The big decision....... float tube or kyak?

fishermanx14
01-21-2013, 06:00 PM
Hey guys i was thinking about getting into the whole tube/yak thing. I want it to be able to float around on lake mohave but i also want to be able to get into the sometimes shallow backwaters for some big crappie and gills. Is shallow water a problem with float tubes? Also i am a pretty big guy (6'3 245) and i don't plan on getting very wet above the waist hahah

Thanks,
Christian

Prowler_Tuber
01-21-2013, 06:26 PM
Whats your budget?

fishermanx14
01-21-2013, 06:30 PM
i would say 200 mabey 230, and i have seen a couple used yaks and tubes in my local paper

.:LOLLY:.
01-22-2013, 10:58 AM
200-230 for just the tube or full setup (waders, fins, life jacket, etc.)?

The cumberland float tube is under 200 and has a weight capacity of 350lbs. You sit high and dry, water level is right under the knee...

Caliyak
01-22-2013, 02:34 PM
Fisherman, I am a huge kayak guy. I would suggest a yak. I'm about your size and I have a Wilderness System 100. I use it for the same reasons, go way back in the shallows where boats can't go. I love my yak cuz I can turn on a dime and stay dry. Also, a yak is faster than a tube so if you want to cover a lot of water, yak. Of course, this is a yak, getting wet is obvious when launching, getting off, feet hanging off the side and the occasional swan drive to stay cool. :Smile:
But seriously, a yak is dry from knees up. If you launch from a dock, completely dry. But, you need to try a yak and a tube. You need to find the right fit for you and your fishing style.
What yaks were you looking at?

fishermanx14
01-22-2013, 03:53 PM
Fisherman, I am a huge kayak guy. I would suggest a yak. I'm about your size and I have a Wilderness System 100. I use it for the same reasons, go way back in the shallows where boats can't go. I love my yak cuz I can turn on a dime and stay dry. Also, a yak is faster than a tube so if you want to cover a lot of water, yak. Of course, this is a yak, getting wet is obvious when launching, getting off, feet hanging off the side and the occasional swan drive to stay cool. :Smile:
But seriously, a yak is dry from knees up. If you launch from a dock, completely dry. But, you need to try a yak and a tube. You need to find the right fit for you and your fishing style.
What yaks were you looking at?

i was just messing around on bass pro shops....im sure i can find stuff for alot cheaper. Do you have to register it as a boat ? How stable are they? When i was about 12 i was in the middle of big bear and flipped my cousins kayak and it scared the crap outta me.Which is better a sit-on-top or the ones where you sit inside?

fishermanx14
01-22-2013, 03:54 PM
200-230 for just the tube or full setup (waders, fins, life jacket, etc.)?

The cumberland float tube is under 200 and has a weight capacity of 350lbs. You sit high and dry, water level is right under the knee...

cool thanks man

troutsniffer
01-22-2013, 04:19 PM
yaks spend 75% of the time paddle-ling back and fourth every time I see them fish. Get a float tube and you'll be happy you did

fishermanx14
01-22-2013, 04:23 PM
yaks spend 75% of the time paddle-ling back and fourth every time I see them fish. Get a float tube and you'll be happy you did

http://www.basspro.com/Caddis-Sports-Nevada-Gold-Float-Tube/product/10205419/ i just found two of these for $50 in my local craigslist, worth it?

.:LOLLY:.
01-22-2013, 05:01 PM
They're decent for a first time tube but you'll be about belly button deep in the water. Another thing is that they only have one air bladder so if it fails you will be S.O.L.

fishermanx14
01-22-2013, 05:45 PM
ya good point

Surfnsnowboard3
01-22-2013, 10:12 PM
There's a reason there are way more tubes on each lake than kayaks.....

casting call
01-22-2013, 10:44 PM
Get a 'toon!

Cadillyak
01-22-2013, 11:34 PM
I think answers to a few questions would make this an easier decision. Fresh or salt? Bait and wait, drift, or troll?? Type of vehicle used to go fishing? What type of fish are you targeting? What type of vessels do those around u have (always fun to fish in a group)? How often will this be utilized? What lakes (if fresh) do you plan to target? If you got a yak, where would u store it? If u got a tube, or yak for that matter, what extras would u need? Just a few questions that should narrow your choice.

Caliyak
01-23-2013, 08:46 AM
i was just messing around on bass pro shops....im sure i can find stuff for alot cheaper. Do you have to register it as a boat ? How stable are they? When i was about 12 i was in the middle of big bear and flipped my cousins kayak and it scared the crap outta me.Which is better a sit-on-top or the ones where you sit inside?

Fisher, you don't need to register your yak, one of the reasons I went with kayak versus boat. My 10 footers goes in the back of my truck with a red flag and that's it. Easy on and off from my truck. I don't need to mess with straps, DMV or any non-sense. I'm not a tuber but I don't need to sit at home the night before pumping or blowing the inner tube up. :LOL: I like messing with the tube guys

As for stable, on some models, you can stand. Like the Wilderness System Ride and some Hobies. But you need some $$ for those models. My 10 footer is as stable as they come. Even when a boat flies right be me, no problems with the waves. By the way, the boat guys think they own the lake so they have zero respect for yakers or tubers.

As for SINKs or SOT, I went with SOT because they are safer, more stable, you sit above the water and if you flip, easy to get back on. A SINK guy can tell you the same, so it's up to you what to pick. Even a tube guy can tell you that the tubes are stable, safe and worth it.

Caliyak
01-23-2013, 08:49 AM

We are working out our arms Troutsniffer.

Caliyak
01-23-2013, 08:51 AM
There's a reason there are way more tubes on each lake than kayaks.....

$50 versus $500

Caliyak
01-23-2013, 08:56 AM
I think answers to a few questions would make this an easier decision. Fresh or salt? Bait and wait, drift, or troll?? Type of vehicle used to go fishing? What type of fish are you targeting? What type of vessels do those around u have (always fun to fish in a group)? How often will this be utilized? What lakes (if fresh) do you plan to target? If you got a yak, where would u store it? If u got a tube, or yak for that matter, what extras would u need? Just a few questions that should narrow your choice.

I'm having fun with this thread but this statement is so true. You need to find the vessel that fits you. The tube or kayak will do the same thing; get you off the shore and get you closer to the fish in the shallows, docks, trees or anywhere on the lake. You need to find the boat that meets your criteria and go for it. The most important thing to remember, go fishing and have a great time. I just do with more class on a yak. :Smile:

bassfishing24/7
01-23-2013, 09:00 AM
I owned tubes & tried a yak....the yak was very uncomfortable,most important for me so tube i say!!

seal
01-23-2013, 09:29 AM
I have both. You really need to identify like others have said the waters you are planning on fishing and what type of fishing you will be doing. Fly fishing is much easier from a float tube but if big water is where you want to fish then you need the kayak to get there. I personally love both but make my decision about which one to take out dependent on the bite and the water I'm going to be fishing.

If you decide on a yak or a tube your price point of spending 200 or so on it is very low even with a bottom of the line tube and yes you can possibly find a kayak in that range on Craigs list or just get lucky somewhere but once again there are other items needed, a good paddle, pfd, rack if you don't have a big truck etc... I bought all my yak stuff prior to actually buying the yak.

Make a decision but if 200 bucks is all you got I'd say buy a tube and then purchase the other stuff after the fact, at your weight and height you will be disapointed if you purchase the tube you listed.

Ok just reviewed your post. I float tube Lake Mead often but I've been float tubing a long time, if you are a beginner and you are talking about Mohave I don't know man that is one big old body of water! Think a kayak might be a better idea if that's going to be your main body of water, also that will open up Willow beach to you if you decide to start targeting the big stripers, although I'm going to tube Willow in a couple weeks so it is possible.

seal
01-23-2013, 09:34 AM
I owned tubes & tried a yak....the yak was very uncomfortable,most important for me so tube i say!!

Yes for a beginner it is easier to pick up fishing from an easy chair aka. float tube but once you get into kayaking they are very stable. Funny my friend borrowed my yak out at Willow and he said it was very tippy, he had never yak'd before and was over correcting I believe, I can't remember ever dumping a yak excpet in the ocean and launching thru waves.

LBSea
01-23-2013, 12:52 PM
If you are just starting out get a float tube. MUCH less hastle to transport, launch & fish from. I have both and have fished both for 10+ years BUT Float Tubing is much easier to do. My float tube fully loaded may weigh 10+ lbs. and fits in the back of my Mazda 3. My Kayak Without all the extras like Paddle, Bait Tank, Dolly, Fish Finder weighs 79 lbs. and is a ***** to transport even with my Honda Pilot. Also, if you are using it in the ocean and straping it to the roof a word of caution. Salt Water is murder on car paint. If allowed to sit overnight the water will etch your paint beyond repair. Not to mention trying to fish in windy conditions. You ever try and paddle with one hand and fish with the other? It is impossible UNLESS you have a Hobie with the Mirage drive! Kayakers will say that is what a drift sock is for. I say one more thing to buy, carry and try not to forget when you are packing all your stuff to go fishing. The only time I use my kayak now is if I am going well off shore like La Jolla or lobster hooping otherwise I use my float tube in the Salt all the time. You can fish in 2-3 ft of water in a float tube but you will start to kick up silt and sediment the more shallow you go. The first two choices sit high in the water and will allow for shallower conditions. The pontoon style tubes like the Navigator sit way too low for shallow water. I had one and it sat so low my elbows were constantly getting wet and the water was in my lap.

1st choice (Price & Valve Layout) ODC 420

2nd choice (Because it is close to ODC but costs more and BAD valve location) Outcast Fish Cat

Don't Buy (Sits too low, slow compaired to above, too many badders to fill (4), & Stupid cross bar) Navigator II or similar.

one long cast
01-23-2013, 01:05 PM
After reading all the responces posted above I would go with the pontoon tube such as casting call has as an avatar. Lake mohave can become wild with the wind real fast. Also casting calls pontoon looks real comfortable and stable.

casting call
01-23-2013, 01:38 PM
After reading all the responces posted above I would go with the pontoon tube such as casting call has as an avatar. Lake mohave can become wild with the wind real fast. Also casting calls pontoon looks real comfortable and stable.

Yeah, pontoons are pretty versitile. You can use fins, oars or strap a motor on it. It only has a draft of a few inches so you can navigate in water as ahallow as a foot, you can carry a ton of gear,its faster than a tube, cheaper than a yak and more stable and comfortable than either one. I have yet to see a toon capsize or roll over. You can also mod the toon to your needs and liking.
These are the reasons I went with a toon over a tube or a yak, and am very happy with my decision.

fishermanx14
01-23-2013, 03:20 PM
freshwater, bait n wait drift and troll. I have a truck (is that what u were asking)? Bass, bluegill, striper, catfish, crappie and trout. Most of the time by my self but when the family comes i will be with fellow tubers. I will be using my tube up on lake mohave (28,260 acres of water.) :EyePop: and some back waters and maybe the river. I would build some pvc rod holders, and invest in a fish finder eventually

fishermanx14
01-23-2013, 03:38 PM
Yeah, pontoons are pretty versitile. You can use fins, oars or strap a motor on it. It only has a draft of a few inches so you can navigate in water as ahallow as a foot, you can carry a ton of gear,its faster than a tube, cheaper than a yak and more stable and comfortable than either one. I have yet to see a toon capsize or roll over. You can also mod the toon to your needs and liking.
These are the reasons I went with a toon over a tube or a yak, and am very happy with my decision.
which exact toon is the one in your avatar? can you paddle with fins in a toon?

5150fishn
01-23-2013, 03:39 PM
I started with a tube and moved up to a yak. For me the yak is better because most of my fishing is trolling. I do wish that I hadn't sold my tube and kept it as a backup because sometimes I just want to chill and toss jigs and I found a tube better for me for this. My yak is a sit on top model and is very stable and I'm not a small guy.

reservoir dog
01-23-2013, 04:07 PM
Just my two cents here...I started with a pontoon which was pretty fun and comfortable. The downside was the time it took for assembly when I got to the lake. With that said I decided to move onto a kayak...WAY BETTER! You can just drop your yak into the water and you're good to go. Whether you choose a tube, pontoon or yak it will always require some sort of exercise from kicking your legs or paddling. What it comes down to is your budget, how much are you willing to spend? If you go tube, try to buy new one to avoid getting a used one that might leak. For a pontoon/yak you should start with used since you can find them cheap on Craigslist. Another question you have to ask yourself is...do you plan to fish freshwater or saltwater or both? If you go with a yak in saltwater, it has to be a sit-on-top (SOT). Good luck with whatever you decide and let's see some pics once you get it.

Poxy Boggards
01-23-2013, 04:19 PM
With your budget being forefront in my mind I would recomend a tube. Get a fishcat 4 or an ODC420, and you will be pretty much out of the water from the knees up. I disagree about buying a new one though unless you can find a killer deal. I got my fishcat 4 a pair of waders and a PVC rod holder for $140 bucks on here a few years ago. Go used and get a deal that will leave you some cash to rig up your ride.

Since the species you listed all seem to be fresh water, and you don't have a couple of grand to spend a tube is really your best bet to get on the water for a reasonable price.

Monterroso
01-23-2013, 06:15 PM
i just found a guy that has one of these http://www.basspro.com/White-River-Fly-Shop-Lost-Lake-Open-Front-Float-Tube-Combo/product/10200385/ and he said he only used it twice. He told me to make him an offer, what should i say (he is suposed to post a youtube video show casing it for me)

Everyone here has given you plenty advise and trust me that float tube you might put a price on is no good for your height and weight. Go on eBay and get yourself the odc420. I'm about the same size and weight as you are and trust me this is the tube your lookin for!

fishermanx14
01-23-2013, 06:28 PM
im off to search the internet with all the new new advice i have!!!!
Seriously thanks guys much appreciated

casting call
01-23-2013, 06:54 PM
which exact toon is the one in your avatar? can you paddle with fins in a toon?
Its a Colorado XT. You can use fins to kick around - ive heard toons referred to as kick boats, but I have short legs and I just use my trolling motor to get around. When Im drifting, ill just kick with my feet to make little adjustments.

Its true that its a bit of a hassle to set up, but Ive got it down to about 30 minutes so its not so bad, inflate both pontoons (the most time consuming, even with an air compressor), strap everything on and im off. If you have a big enough truck, you can have it assembled the night before, and just top off with a hand pump before you launch.

The Fishing Queen
01-24-2013, 09:21 PM
I vote for yak. I love my 10' fishing kayak ( a sit in kind), it keeps me dry and it can go fast if you want it to, especially on a windy day. It did tip over once and I lost two of my nice rods in the water in my begining yak fishing stage. But, after I got used to it, it is pretty stable as I am more experienced now.

seal
01-25-2013, 09:23 AM
Don't get a pontoon boat unless you plan on upgrading to using a trolling motor. I have one of those too and paddleing them sucks and although kicking can be done they are heavy and tall so wind is a big issue.

But if you have plans on a trolling motor it would be probably my first choice, remember you also have to register them which is another factor.

ODC420 or FC4 I have both I prefer the ODC420 because of better pockets and a slightly longer front end that makes you "feel" more stable.

KILLA
01-25-2013, 10:14 AM
I would say kayak, but it's a little pricey. I have a tube for sale if you choose to go that route.

fishingonmymine
01-25-2013, 10:43 AM
If you want to spend more money I have this post for sale full float tube set up PROWLER FLOAT TUBE AND FLOAT TUBE FOR SALE
EVERY THINK IS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION , CHECK IT OUT , IT HERE IN THE FNN . YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR YOU LOVE FLOAT TUBING . AM JUST GETTING OUT OF FISHING FOR A WILE .

CrownTown
01-25-2013, 10:52 AM
I have both kayaks and tubes, but most of the time I prefer to tube. You can fish while you paddle(kick) and you don't have to worry about re-positioning or drifting off of a spot. Also I get lazy and tubes fit in the trunk and pump up really quickly (main reason I use it over the yak). If you like trolling or need to cover a lot of water a yak is the way to go though. So both have their advantages, yak is just a bit more work to put up on the car in my opinion.

fishermanx14
01-25-2013, 05:09 PM
I vote for yak. I love my 10' fishing kayak ( a sit in kind), it keeps me dry and it can go fast if you want it to, especially on a windy day. It did tip over once and I lost two of my nice rods in the water in my begining yak fishing stage. But, after I got used to it, it is pretty stable as I am more experienced now.

thanks for the info, nice to hear from you

fishermanx14
01-25-2013, 05:12 PM
I would say kayak, but it's a little pricey. I have a tube for sale if you choose to go that route.

i will pm you

fishermanx14
01-25-2013, 05:17 PM
Don't get a pontoon boat unless you plan on upgrading to using a trolling motor. I have one of those too and paddleing them sucks and although kicking can be done they are heavy and tall so wind is a big issue.

But if you have plans on a trolling motor it would be probably my first choice, remember you also have to register them which is another factor.

ODC420 or FC4 I have both I prefer the ODC420 because of better pockets and a slightly longer front end that makes you "feel" more stable.

is it possible to mount a trolling motor to a tube? i know they make tubes with motors allready in them (http://motorizedu-tubecompany.com/), but if you did mount a TM to your tube how would you control it?

LBSea
01-29-2013, 11:21 AM
is it possible to mount a trolling motor to a tube? i know they make tubes with motors allready in them (http://motorizedu-tubecompany.com/), but if you did mount a TM to your tube how would you control it?

Seriously the more complicated you make it with motors and such the less likley you are to use it as often and the more likley you are to have mechnical problems on the water has been my experience. This is the reason I originally suggested a float tube for starters and building up from there. If you want to add a motor later than go for it but being a float tuber first I think and motor is a bad idea. Most likley you will have to register the tube since it now has a motor on it but someone else may know more about that. There is not a lot of room for motor and battery on a float tube not to mention the weight it will add. Also the prop would be close to your legs, fishing line, stringer or anything else hanging off your tube. Now if the motor is attached to your tube and you start to loose air without knowing it the shaft of your motor could shift right into your legs before you know it.

Good Luck!

reservoir dog
01-29-2013, 11:50 AM
:Thumbs Up:

LBSea
01-29-2013, 12:42 PM

Exactly! Where can I get mine. :)

Caliyak
01-29-2013, 03:50 PM
Dude, bad idea.

Caliyak
01-29-2013, 03:51 PM
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: I need to get one

bassknuckles
01-30-2013, 01:15 PM
As an avid kayak fisherman kayak fishing gets expensive but you cqn hold alot more on a kayak than you can on float tubes I fish in the ocean with my yak and I deff go places that a float tuber most certainly cant, I persi think a kayak gives more options and you can go further on a yak than a float tube with less effort. That my .02