PDA

View Full Version : Skinner 1/21

P.A.W.
01-21-2013, 01:57 PM
Just another carbon copy of the last 2 weeks. Breezy, water at 51* and stripers are scarce. Managed one fatty around 9:00 am and a few 10-12 inch models which were released. All the fish I metered (and caught) were hugging the bottom in 50-75 feet of water. When the bite is this slow it's really frustrating to farm any fish and I did just that. 2 or 3 nice hits that just didn't stick. I guess that's what happens when you have as much line out as you need to downrig to 50 feet with the Urig 80 feet back.
Other than that it was a beautiful day out there an only a total of 6 boats on the lake.

Hunter Of Fish
01-21-2013, 07:35 PM
P.A.W. what time did you leave ? We put in around 2:00 to try the trout action , It was pretty slow . We got one
bite trolling around ramp 2 .

P.A.W.
01-22-2013, 05:15 AM
I left around noon.

JAG107
01-22-2013, 08:10 PM
Glad you got hooked up on some stripeys Pat!
Hunter, next time try trolling the east end, topline wayyyyyyy back. rapalas and the like... this time of year they like to hang out in the shallows

MOON
01-23-2013, 04:06 PM
PAW thanks for the report really nice meeting you couple weeks ago...As someone that live 3hrs. round trip to lake Skinner I really appreciate your reports really helps...TIGHT LINES...

NFCD I
01-24-2013, 08:06 AM
I fished Skinner yesterday from 10:00-2:00. Not the best time of the day, but it was supposed to get up into the upper 70's. I caught 3 keeper LMB, all released, on weightless watermellon Sinko's. The only other fish I saw caught were trout.

baitfish
01-25-2013, 10:27 AM
How is the water level? I was there maybe a month ago and it was really low.

I like MOON live almost 3 hours roundtrip and these reports help me out a lot.

Hunter Of Fish
01-25-2013, 01:08 PM
So am i to gather there are two types of Winter Stripers . Those found deep and others in the shallows .
Does this hold true even when the surface temperature hits the lower 50's ?

P.A.W.
01-25-2013, 05:18 PM
Ok, I'm not an expert, but I'll take a stab. When the water temp is low the fish "Generally" go deep where temps are stable. However stripers being a fish that loves to move around in search and destroy mode, might well come up breifly to the shallows to see what's up. They won't stay for long so the idea that there are two colonies of stripers really isn't true. Just as in spring they will come up looking for bait to chase there might well be some deep too though the pattern is shallower.

Any info here is aimed strictly at Skinner stripers since that's the only lake I frequent.

P.A.W.
01-25-2013, 05:20 PM
How is the water level? I was there maybe a month ago and it was really low.

I like MOON live almost 3 hours roundtrip and these reports help me out a lot.

Water level has been fairly high recently. Not its highest, but pretty good.

Hunter Of Fish
01-25-2013, 05:44 PM
OK, thanks my winter understanding of lake Skinners Stripers is kinda light compared to my Spring/Summer
knowledge . I did not notice any shad in the shallows, but only really fished ramp two side of the lake .
Are the shad also going deep to more stable warmer water?

baitfish
01-25-2013, 05:50 PM
Water level has been fairly high recently. Not its highest, but pretty good.

Thank you Sir, much appreciated.

P.A.W.
01-25-2013, 05:53 PM
Hunter of fish Yessir! The big 'ol bait balls (The mothership of death as TO called it) have broken up into small groups and are laying low.

Hunter Of Fish
01-25-2013, 07:05 PM
Thank you P.A.W. for being so patient with all my questions! I hope to meet you soon out on the water .
Thanks again!