PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid Bait & Wait 1/20/13

IN2DEEP
01-21-2013, 10:14 AM
With some tips on what works for us...

Located some fresh sardines from In-seine Bait Co in MDR the day before. Got lucky considering these were the first load of dines since November! It seems that there is a lack of fin bait in SM Bay (but lots of squid)
Good frozen bait works also, depends on the bite.

Haven't been to the lake since July of 2011

Tips:
Scouted around the spots that I've had success in the past looking for suspended meter marks.
If I see good signs of life in the area, I will anchor up and get the lines in the water.
The stripers will find you if you have enough scent in the water.
Use the maximum amount of rods that the law allows (more scent in the water)
I carolina rig with 6# line, 18-24" leader with #1 or #2 Owner Mosquito hook and 1/8-1/2oz egg sinkers with 1/4oz most common. More weight if you are getting a lot of boat swing while on anchor.
Today while anchored in deep water, we had the baits suspended at 30-50' straight up and down.
A good way to judge depth is to cast out and estimate the distance, put the reel in gear then let the line swing back to the boat.
Sometimes, I'll use a sharpie and mark my line at the depth that I'm getting bit at and watch for the mark when adjusting the line.

I always keep an eye on the meter for the stripers that swim under the boat.
They swim in schools and you'll know when they are around.

Give it some time before moving (It took an hour before getting our first bite)

Change your bait when the guts fall out of the stomach cavity (use the part of the sardine or anchovy that has the guts)

If you are serious about anchoring at this lake, you'll want a 300'+ anchor line with the proper amount of chain to hold bottom

On to the report:
The striper fishing was good!
3 guys
1 use to be a striper vigin :whistle:
Fish size ranged from 12"-20" for us
Caught 30+, kept 23
Lake facilities are looking great
Little bummed out that the fish cleaning station was closed, but it looks to be on the mend (new pipes)

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc255/sdsaw/Fishing/P1020466_zps9de743ee.jpg

My buddy spotted this very large bird cruising the hill sides, thought it could be a Golden Eagle
Any bird experts out there?

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc255/sdsaw/Fishing/P1020399_zps28dbe94c.jpg

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc255/sdsaw/Fishing/P1020445_zpsb932067d.jpg

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc255/sdsaw/Fishing/P1020412_zpsc72cd2e8.jpg

***** Bait status for In-Seine Bait Company In Marina del rey *****
They seem to be keeping it current
https://www.facebook.com/InSeineBaitFishingCompany

flyhigh123
01-21-2013, 10:30 AM
amazing pics and catches! congrats

TroutOnly
01-21-2013, 11:00 AM
WAY TO WACK THEM SCOTT, THATS A GOLDEN EAGLE,HOW DEEP DID YOU HAVE TO ANCHOR FOR THE GOOD BITE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,

cutbait
01-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Very detailed report Scott.. excellence as always...

Bait bite is clicking way over the troll for sure

fishinone
01-21-2013, 01:07 PM
Nice catch Scott.

They've been pretty good lately at the Mid. One day we catch all small ones then a week later we catch all different sizes.

trail blazer
01-21-2013, 02:59 PM
WTG In2deep!

Yep,,,,,,,,The mid ROCKS no doubt!

rou guys rock,d them stripees,,,,,,,,,,,,,bait n deep puts,m on the boat all winter long up there,,,not for me but still the best way to stack,m right now for sure,,,GREAT JOB bud!

TRAIL BLAZER

cutbait
01-21-2013, 04:25 PM
WTG In2deep!

rou guys rock,d them stripees,,,,,,,,,,,,,bait n deep puts,m on the boat all winter long up there,,,not for me but still the best way to stack,m right now for sure,,,GREAT JOB bud!

TRAIL BLAZER

I can attest to this..

Scott and I were on an almost Wide Open bait bite with limits in a couple hours time.... And still wasn't enough to satisfy that attention span. :Explode:

trail blazer
01-21-2013, 05:22 PM
I can attest to this..

Scott and I were on an almost Wide Open bait bite with limits in a couple hours time.... And still wasn't enough to satisfy that attention span. :Explode:

LOL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Yep!

IN2DEEP
01-21-2013, 09:13 PM
WAY TO WACK THEM SCOTT, THATS A GOLDEN EAGLE,HOW DEEP DID YOU HAVE TO ANCHOR FOR THE GOOD BITE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,
Bob, thank you for the bird ID. My buddy will be pleased since that is his first sighting of one and we have a photo of it!
Very deep water. You know the spot

Very detailed report Scott.. excellence as always...

Bait bite is clicking way over the troll for sure
Thanks man!

Nice catch Scott.

They've been pretty good lately at the Mid. One day we catch all small ones then a week later we catch all different sizes.
Ron, Good to know about the sizes. I'm glad we were there on the "different size" day lol

WTG In2deep!

TRAIL BLAZER
Thanks! If I had confidence to get the stripers by trolling, I would attempt if more often
Those stripers just can't resist the blood

IN2DEEP
01-21-2013, 09:14 PM
amazing pics and catches! congrats
Thanks!
BTW, they opened the gates at 7am

fishinarteest
01-22-2013, 02:01 PM
Real nice job out there. May i ask what time did you start fishing?

IN2DEEP
01-22-2013, 05:49 PM
Real nice job out there. May i ask what time did you start fishing?
We were there in line just before opening
Didn't wet our lines until 8:30
Got the first bite an hour later
Bite shut off when the wind died and the water and air got still.
Picked up again when the wind started to blow again

Ryan_J
01-24-2013, 03:39 PM
[I]Located some fresh sardines from In-seine Bait Co in MDR the day before. Got lucky considering these were the first load of dines since November! It seems that there is a lack of fin bait in SM Bay (but lots of squid) Good frozen bait works also, depends on the bite.

Nice work! That is one heck of a catch! Can you give more detail how you are rigging the cut bait? Are you getting the bait live, then freezing it yourself? Are you using whole sardines or cuting them to smaller sizes? Thanks for sharing!!!

MikesOcean
01-24-2013, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the info Scott!

Did you wrap the dines in newspaper? :) that's always the ticket!

Double A
01-24-2013, 04:10 PM
[I]Located some fresh sardines from In-seine Bait Co in MDR the day before. Got lucky considering these were the first load of dines since November! It seems that there is a lack of fin bait in SM Bay (but lots of squid) Good frozen bait works also, depends on the bite.

Nice work! That is one heck of a catch! Can you give more detail how you are rigging the cut bait? Are you getting the bait live, then freezing it yourself? Are you using whole sardines or cuting them to smaller sizes? Thanks for sharing!!!

It's your 2 year anniversary of joining ; )

Congrats on your 1st post !!!

Hopefully another 2 years won't go by until you need something / I mean post again

IN2DEEP
01-24-2013, 10:47 PM

Depending on the size of the dines, cut them into 3/4" to 1" squares.
Best part is from just behind the head to the poop shoot

I'm buying live sardines and having the bait guy scoop them into my ice chest.
I place a thick layer of newspaper at the bottom of the chest before placing the sardines in it to absorb any excess water
The sardines will keep better if you don't let them sit in their juices (they will stay firmer)
Keep them cool but don't mix them with your ice water.
When I get home, I lay out a dozen or so in a gallon ziplock and freeze them flat.
I try to place a paper towel in the bag to help soak up any juices
I feel that you're better off freezing the bait rather than letting it sit in the fridge for a day
This was from another time but this is what I'm talking about
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc255/sdsaw/P1020500_zpsc10098dd.jpg

Thanks for the info Scott!

Did you wrap the dines in newspaper? :) that's always the ticket!
Yes Mike, newspaper or paper towels
Keep them dry and cool to keep them firm

gletemfeelsteelgary
01-28-2013, 11:05 AM
could it be ??????

a post from the infamous in2deep ???

nice job bruthaman...

we missed you at our last striperfest and striperbowls....

Congrats on the catches...

Nice work : )

Gary

Ryan_J
01-28-2013, 11:49 AM
It's your 2 year anniversary of joining ; )

Congrats on your 1st post !!!

Hopefully another 2 years won't go by until you need something / I mean post again

I've been a lurker. Guilty at charged. Got the fishing bug and a new used boat. Trying to make things happen now.

russ88
01-28-2013, 09:10 PM
How's it going Scott!?!? The slayage doesn't surprise me.... Bleed em n straight in the cooler... :) You've always been a wealth of knowledge!! Very informative report. Have a good on mr. Diehard!