PDA

View Full Version : Lake Fairmount/Evans

J-Dub
01-20-2013, 04:25 PM
do they stock the lakes with trout? and also what would be the best fish to target the this place? thanx for any info in advance

JAG107
01-20-2013, 05:33 PM
The local bums stock Fairmount with brown trout nightly. Other than that I don't know...

old pudd fisher
01-20-2013, 07:36 PM
I live about 4 miles from the park, fish it sometimes only cuz it's near and never had good luck there. I doubt if it will be stocked with trout this year. But it has some nice Carp and Bass in it and some Cats and small Blue Gills. Very hard lake to catch anything but they are there.

carpanglerdude
01-20-2013, 08:34 PM
Here's the skinny on Fairmount. The DFG, in their everlasting wisdom, decided that stocking trout in Fairmount was too dangerous. There is a small urban creek/ditch at the west end of the main lake that slowly meanders through the nearby forest and eventually connects to the Santa Ana river. DFG was concerned that the beloved native fish in the Santa Ana may be eaten or otherwise impacted by a trout that swims/carried all the way from Fairmount to the Santa Ana.

What's truly interesting is that just on the other side of the Santa Ana is two lakes, in the Rancho Jurupa park, that are heavily stocked with trout, still. These also are connected to the Santa Ana by a creek (and this creek hold fish, in case anyone wants to do some exploring), however, they haven't stopped stocking. Perhaps the fact that Fairmount is free to fish, while Rancho costs a pretty penny to fish has altered concerns over any 'invasive trout' entering from that angle. Just a thought.

GhettoBasster
01-20-2013, 09:53 PM
Here's the skinny on Fairmount. The DFG, in their everlasting wisdom, decided that stocking trout in Fairmount was too dangerous. There is a small urban creek/ditch at the west end of the main lake that slowly meanders through the nearby forest and eventually connects to the Santa Ana river. DFG was concerned that the beloved native fish in the Santa Ana may be eaten or otherwise impacted by a trout that swims/carried all the way from Fairmount to the Santa Ana.

What's truly interesting is that just on the other side of the Santa Ana is two lakes, in the Rancho Jurupa park, that are heavily stocked with trout, still. These also are connected to the Santa Ana by a creek (and this creek hold fish, in case anyone wants to do some exploring), however, they haven't stopped stocking. Perhaps the fact that Fairmount is free to fish, while Rancho costs a pretty penny to fish has altered concerns over any 'invasive trout' entering from that angle. Just a thought.

Interesting thought. I have a feeling you're right. Given the network of creeks and lakes that contain sunfish and bass that are connected to the SA River, the predatory trout argument makes no sense. Bass and sunfish chow down on everything smaller than themselves and are well-established in the river, whereas stocker trout would survive about as long as a Kim Kardashian marriage. Besides, aren't Steelhead supposed to have once been a native species of the river? Last time I checked they were Rainbows. Oh well, it is the government. I can say that- I work for them.

tree
01-21-2013, 06:05 AM
Fairmount park has flooded multiple times over the years whenever there has been a large amount of rainfall. In fact a couple years ago there was a huge flood and the water turbidity went to ****. Since that large flood, the DFG has stopped stocking trout and catfish. It might be a combination of flooding and lack of flood control at fairmount in addition to other factors.

They have catfish, carp, and largies as "game" fish. Small gillies and crappie and green sunfish also hang out in the lake.

J-Dub
01-22-2013, 09:18 AM
thanks for the info everybody...think i might skip this place and check out Ranco Jurupa

angelsfan951
01-22-2013, 10:33 AM
thanks for the info everybody...think i might skip this place and check out Ranco Jurupa

i wouldnt go to jurupa either just as bad as fairmount :LOL:

carpanglerdude
01-22-2013, 10:45 AM
i wouldnt go to jurupa either just as bad as fairmount :LOL:

It's not that bad. I've caught trout every time I've gone to Jurupa. One of the ponds looks like a concrete pool but the one with the island is more interesting to fish.

angelsfan951
01-22-2013, 11:21 AM
It's not that bad. I've caught trout every time I've gone to Jurupa. One of the ponds looks like a concrete pool but the one with the island is more interesting to fish.

i was JK, but on a serious note jurupa is a nice park check out and make sure to write up some reports

CrownTown
01-22-2013, 02:27 PM
My first time out at Fairmount on my first cast I caught a trout on a minijig (a few years ago) and thought it was going to be a great little lake. Nothing after that. Never seen anyone targeting trout there though so I am assuming they probably did stop stocking a few years back. It can be very good for bass though depending on the time of there year....

inlandghia
01-22-2013, 02:38 PM
The local bums stock Fairmount with brown trout nightly. Other than that I don't know... Too Funny!!!