PDA

View Full Version : Tenkara fishing in the san gabriel mountains... Sa stream

VIVID_FLY
01-20-2013, 02:44 PM
Headed up to the SA stream and fished a small section of nice moving waters. Had 2 fish on the hook but quick releases. The caddis was doing a great job of getting fish to rise and look. The area is getting growth and the 12' IWANA had to be creative in its positioning. I took a nice fall in the water but just 1 foot.

http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y316/vivid_fly/DSCF0794_zps4e401331.jpg

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++
http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y316/vivid_fly/DSCF0793_zpsdaa3ae0a.jpg

http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y316/vivid_fly/DSCF0792_zps539b5b13.jpg

http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y316/vivid_fly/DSCF0791_zps5f91c9d4.jpg

On another note, I got my 2nd SKUNK at the PUDD this year. Saw no fish and had no bites.

<"(((((((><

trout masterson
01-20-2013, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the report. I hate when fish come off. With tight vegetation it is hard to lift the rod and get a good hook set.

old pudd fisher
01-20-2013, 03:14 PM
Nice report ! And I like those black and white photos, makes it look special.

FLYFISHING MD
01-20-2013, 06:23 PM
nice! my wife got me a tenkara amago for christmas..''lots of fun''...but is hard to land big fish at the local lakes...

teejay
01-20-2013, 08:17 PM
I've had a tough enough time on that stream with an 8'6":Applause:

Fish Cop
01-20-2013, 08:39 PM
Perfect Tenkara water. Thanks for the report.

gamekiller
01-20-2013, 08:47 PM
Nice looking photoz..tenkaras are a blast

VIVID_FLY
01-21-2013, 05:38 PM
I also have an AMAGO . Its great for hard biting BLUE GILL AND RED EAR. the fight feels better than on the IWANA. But for all day casting the IWANA is a better choice for lake fishing.

nice! my wife got me a tenkara amago for christmas..''lots of fun''...but is hard to land big fish at the local lakes...[/QUOTE]

VIVID_FLY
01-21-2013, 05:39 PM
Nice report ! And I like those black and white photos, makes it look special.

Have you been visiting the PUDD lately.

old pudd fisher
01-21-2013, 07:12 PM
No but I will be back.

The Fishing Queen
01-22-2013, 04:18 PM
Nice pictures as always, Chuck! Good to know that you've been fishing on the weekends. We have to get together someday to have a wildwood fishing adventure. See you!

Fishnfun
01-22-2013, 08:46 PM
Chuck - Good to see you are doing some fishing. I've put away my tenkara rod until the Spring when the panfish are in the near shore areas. I'm sure I'll run into you at Pudd again soon.

VIVID_FLY
01-25-2013, 06:38 PM
Nice pictures as always, Chuck! Good to know that you've been fishing on the weekends. We have to get together someday to have a wildwood fishing adventure. See you!

After the heavy rains cant wait to break in my YAMAME. I used up all the caddis patterns you gave me. I tied a couple and they came out pretty good.

VIVID_FLY
01-25-2013, 06:39 PM
Chuck - Good to see you are doing some fishing. I've put away my tenkara rod until the Spring when the panfish are in the near shore areas. I'm sure I'll run into you at Pudd again soon.

Sunfish bite will be here end of FEB. so dust off your tenkara's and tie up some bead heads. I can put you on some mountain fish if you get anxious.

Cartman
01-25-2013, 06:47 PM
Fishing with a 12' pole?

VIVID_FLY
01-25-2013, 07:28 PM
Fishing with a 12' pole?

I started with my 2.4 M Tenkara rod from CHINA. Then i moved on to a 11' chinese rod. April 2012 started fishing with my AMAGO 13' 6" Tenkara USA rod. Then acquired my IWANA 12' Tenkara USA rod which to date is my go to fishing rod. My newly ebay purchased rod is a YAMAME 12' Tenkara USA. Still have not got out yet with this one.

Jon the 12' IWANA is very light weight 2.7 ounces. The YAMAME weighs in at a massive 3.6 ounces. and the WORK HORSE AMAGO weighs in at 3.5 ounces.

Tenkara rods are long and light weight. They are meant to present flies at distances of one's level line with pin point accuracy. They are not like the mega long telescoping ANGLER RODS used for Carp and other bait and wait fish.

<"(((((((><

Fishnfun
01-26-2013, 09:46 AM
Nice to see you have added the Yamane to your collection. My wife has cut off my Tenkara rod buying allowance until I win the Lotto. Hope to see your Yamane in action soon.

Rigi
01-26-2013, 10:34 AM
I haven't been fishing in about 30 years. Getting back into it. Went to the Pudd on Monday the 21st. Got skunked big time! But did not feel bad, no one else was catching anything either. I have a couple of questions, (1) anybody fish the Santa Fe Dam? (2) what are the baits being used in our local lakes? I use to fish Legg Lake and come home with Blue Gil, Trout, and Cat Fish.

Can anybody help with some info?

Thanks,

Rigi

Cartman
01-26-2013, 11:38 AM
I started with my 2.4 M Tenkara rod from CHINA. Then i moved on to a 11' chinese rod. April 2012 started fishing with my AMAGO 13' 6" Tenkara USA rod. Then acquired my IWANA 12' Tenkara USA rod which to date is my go to fishing rod. My newly ebay purchased rod is a YAMAME 12' Tenkara USA. Still have not got out yet with this one.

Jon the 12' IWANA is very light weight 2.7 ounces. The YAMAME weighs in at a massive 3.6 ounces. and the WORK HORSE AMAGO weighs in at 3.5 ounces.

Tenkara rods are long and light weight. They are meant to present flies at distances of one's level line with pin point accuracy. They are not like the mega long telescoping ANGLER RODS used for Carp and other bait and wait fish.

<"(((((((><

12' and only 2.7 oz! That's beautiful.

FLYFISHING MD
01-26-2013, 12:21 PM
so r we getting a flyfishing/tenkara massage board?????????????FNN

Cartman
01-26-2013, 12:47 PM
so r we getting a flyfishing/tenkara massage board?????????????FNN

Yeah, what's up with that?

DarkShadow
01-28-2013, 08:58 AM
When fishing tight areas with lots of canopy, do you find that your Tenkara rod holds more advantages than a traditional fly rod would?

It's just that every time I've seen Tenkara rods used, it's in areas with high clearing and very little brush.

TUNAVIC
01-28-2013, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the pics,regarding your side note,I keep hearing similar reports about the Pudd,I sure hope things turn around,should be seeing some crappie biting soon.

Cya TunaVic

VIVID_FLY
01-28-2013, 05:50 PM
When fishing tight areas with lots of canopy, do you find that your Tenkara rod holds more advantages than a traditional fly rod would?

It's just that every time I've seen Tenkara rods used, it's in areas with high clearing and very little brush.

The best plans are always open cover. But here in san gabriels and san bernardino mtns streams the cover can be quite extensive. Some spots you get 1 cast and cannot lift due to overhangs. If you get a bite you will just hand line the fish in.

But most areas have a mixture. Sure we all go to the open areas first. But I never shy away from the growth areas with my 12' IWANA or 12' YAMAME. I just learn to adapt and fish on. Its only Tippet and a fly if you snag. Recently it seems that I have been loosing fly's in the open areas across the bank. Open areas give you the false sense of security and I over shoot to that twig... ouccccccccch!!! When you are in tight areas, there is more deliberate casting and planning.

With bow and arrow casts and side arm casts you would be surprised in the troubles TENKARA fishing can get you into. But the rewards of the slow gulp take is worth it.

Even at PUDDINGSTONE I will consistently fish under the over hanging tree limbs. Ask anyone that fishes with me. Some of my fav spots are back in SAILBOAT COVE where the casting is tricky but rewarding when the spring bite is on.

<"(((((><

VIVID_FLY
01-28-2013, 05:56 PM
12' and only 2.7 oz! That's beautiful.

LESS IS BEST ... Jon I remember you showed me that telescoping rod you got from a yard sale or something. That rod would be great for some Tenkara style fishing at the PUDD.

VIVID_FLY
01-28-2013, 05:58 PM
nice! my wife got me a tenkara amago for christmas..''lots of fun''...but is hard to land big fish at the local lakes...

Is it hard to land after you hook ... What kind of BIG FISH have you hooked up on a TENKARA. I have seen those posts from Fishing Queen landing some giant BROWNS on her Chinese and Tenkara Usa rods.

FLYFISHING MD
01-28-2013, 07:02 PM
Is it hard to land after you hook ... What kind of BIG FISH have you hooked up on a TENKARA. I have seen those posts from Fishing Queen landing some giant BROWNS on her Chinese and Tenkara Usa rods.
this was my fist time out with my tenkara...local lake ...cant wait to go to the local streams with it..http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j330/fishingmd/IMG951150_zps4a288351.jpghttp://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j330/fishingmd/tenkara2_zps13337f2d.jpghttp://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j330/fishingmd/tenkara1_zps0057065f.jpg

VIVID_FLY
01-29-2013, 05:27 PM
[QUOTE=FLYFISHING MD;652217]this was my fist time out with my tenkara...local lake ...cant wait to go to the local streams with it..

those are some massive TROUT. What pattern did you use there.

FLYFISHING MD
01-29-2013, 06:12 PM
[quote=flyfishing md;652217]this was my fist time out with my tenkara...local lake ...cant wait to go to the local streams with it..

Those are some massive trout. What pattern did you use there. It was a black cebra midge 16 with small strike indicator... next time its WFO at yucaipa and the fish r close.. i will use my tenkara flies.. i just got some in the mail yesterday..i love the simplicity of taking a tenkara to the lake rod,line,3 flies....http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j330/fishingmd/1222121149_zps732c78b1.jpghttp://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j330/fishingmd/fishingCart_02_zps71f18a92.jpg