PDA

View Full Version : Unfortunate Dolphin at the wall

lubemanone
09-05-2007, 09:02 PM
Went fishing at the wall,we were about 100ft. feet from the point on the west side and this grey monster bumped up agaisnt my boat and scared the S@#%t out of us my son and buddy. At first we thought it was a shark ( a live one we thought) But after we composed ourshelves and cleaned up a bit! it was drifting towards the rocks.
And eventually landed on a rock at the point. And as soon as it landed on the rock,all these sea dogs started gathering around on the rocks,I thought for sure they were going to start tearing in to it but they were all gutless punks and just kept sniffing around almost like they were afraid of it.
Did anyone see this dolphin on Saturday about 9:00 to 10:00 a.m. I also went out to the rigs at huntington for the first time in my boat.I was kind tripping because it only 16ft. and 25 hp but it ran well,Oh we came back on fumes and literally made to the marina fuel place with 1/2" of fuel in 6 gal. can.
I can't tell how many prayers were being said on the way in, I not a very good navigator, even through we could still see land, people, buildings etc.
Oh, also we came up on a MooMoo Western Pride at the oil rigs just south west man I forgot how many people load up on those during the weekend.

p.s. caught three mackeral at the rigs, used 3" black/silver anchovies swimmer plastics. Better luck next time.

Greg Madrigal
09-05-2007, 09:22 PM
Wow, lube, so this dolphin was dead? Completely?

Next time you go out, make sure you reference this trip for gas consumption, and play it safe by having vessel assist. Kinda like AAA for the high seas~! :D
Also, make sure you have all C.G. mandated safety devices, adnd of course, radio or cell communication in case of trouble.

Better luck next time, thanks 4 the report.

GM

lubemanone
09-05-2007, 09:32 PM
Yeah, Completely dead I've been trying to upload the pic of it but , no luck (system error keeps coming up) Also I was given a brochure on boat assist from marina fuel guy, I'm going to join up I looked into us boat insurance (what do you think of U.S. boat insurance co. ?

ghetto dad
09-05-2007, 09:35 PM
you should have sold it to k3vin, that would have made helluva barbeque for him........poor dolphin, too bad it wasnt a seal, which, coincidently, would have also made a helluva barbeque for him.... :D

one_leg
09-05-2007, 09:38 PM
Glad you made it back safe.

I thought that dolphins never die?

One_Leg

ghetto dad
09-05-2007, 09:46 PM

One_Leg

just like TM's need to post....... :D

Brad100
09-06-2007, 07:17 AM
Just a suggestion... you might want to carry a hand-held GPS. You can easily mark the entrance to the harbor and when you're out there, hit "go to" and just follow the arrow back. It's amazing how far off you can be on the way back unless you are really familliar with the area.

lubemanone
09-06-2007, 07:50 AM
Amen to that!
When coming back in from the oil rigs I thought I would head diagonally (we were out of davies launch) thinking I would conserve fuel , but the the jetty i thought was our entrance to alamitos turned out to be hunington jetty. I freaked out because I was coming in real close to the shore and my buddy Dean kept telling me to stay out from the shore because I guess its illegal to travel to close along shore. Any how that mistake cost us a lot of fuel I'm sure. Thanks for the gps device suggestion.

P.s. Any particular brands or model you prefer, I would appreciate any help.

k3vin_kim
09-06-2007, 08:30 AM
You ran over Flipper?!!?! dude, you should have called me. After my skunk on the 2.5 day I would have taken BBQ'd that chicken in a second. (I'm kidding. Everyone knows anglers are NOT allowed to catch/consume mammals GHETTODAD~! Trying to get me in trouble~!). But call me next time so i can... see what it looks like.

Greg Madrigal
09-06-2007, 09:14 AM
Hey Lube, I got my insurance thru Boat U.S. and it was pretty cheap plus I got a good rate on Vessel Assist who r affiliated with Boat U.S.
They are also incahoots w/Boater's World where you get $ back when you buy stuff there.

I use an Explorist out there for now,(150.00ish)until I buy a real combo GPS/FF unit.

GM

lubemanone
09-06-2007, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the info, went to us boat web site and filled out application/qoute requested. The gps is definitely in my future.

ghetto dad
09-06-2007, 04:51 PM
You ran over Flipper?!!?! dude, you should have called me. After my skunk on the 2.5 day I would have taken BBQ'd that chicken in a second. (I'm kidding. Everyone knows anglers are NOT allowed to catch/consume mammals GHETTODAD~! Trying to get me in trouble~!). But call me next time so i can... see what it looks like.

:rofl:

Fish Dog
09-06-2007, 07:56 PM
For sure get a GPS! I've got an older Garmin hand held and it puts me right on the spot, or the harbor entrance every time. Check e-bay. There's one on there right now, with 48 minutes to go, that's sitting at $41.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Garmin-GPS-12-Channel-Personal-Navigator_W0QQitemZ170146149786QQihZ007QQcategoryZ 94872QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Troutman65
09-07-2007, 03:12 PM
[quote="one_leg":c7a93]

One_Leg

just like TM's need to post....... :D[/quote:c7a93]

:shock: Hey now. :roll:

TM65