PDA

View Full Version : Perris Report 1/18/13

CrownTown
01-18-2013, 10:33 PM
Figured I'd post a report since there's not much up for Perris. Got to the lake a little after noon and fished the shore. No love for the first 2 hours, but I was determined to get something. I was able to find a spot that got me out of the wind (which was baaaaad) and found a pretty consistent bite in 6-12 feet of water. First time having any luck with an Ika, but I was not able to set the hook for the majority of the bites. My hook was too small I'm guessing? Probably could have landed more if I just stuck to robos, but wanted to change things up. Ended up landing 3 and missed another 6 bites or so (though some bites may have been the same fish on different casts). Water level is lower than I have ever seen it before, down several feet since November. Here's some pics:

pupfish
01-19-2013, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the report, what size hook are you using? From your picture the hook size looks fine. I use a 4/0 EWG which seems to work well for me.

Perris_holic
01-19-2013, 10:16 AM
What area were you fishing. I was fishing the marina 1-18-13 from 12-4 and didnt get any bites or see anyone catch anythng. I was stuck in the wind allday. I heard some bass were caught earlier in the day. Congrats on the fish.

CrownTown
01-19-2013, 11:31 AM
What area were you fishing. I was fishing the marina 1-18-13 from 12-4 and didnt get any bites or see anyone catch anythng. I was stuck in the wind allday. I heard some bass were caught earlier in the day. Congrats on the fish.

I fished the shore by the marina for a bit, I was the white boy wearing a straw hat. I may have seen you out there

CrownTown
01-19-2013, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the report, what size hook are you using? From your picture the hook size looks fine. I use a 4/0 EWG which seems to work well for me.

I only had one hook that was decent sized like in the first pic, but used smaller ones after that. Don't know the size of the big one since it wasn't in a package but i think it was a size 1. The smaller ones were Gamakatsu 3/0's. A 4/0 seems really small, but maybe I just sucked at setting the hook ha

Perris_holic
01-19-2013, 12:51 PM
ok yea i saw you. You were in front of the boats to the left of the marina i believe.

pupfish
01-19-2013, 04:52 PM
I only had one hook that was decent sized like in the first pic, but used smaller ones after that. Don't know the size of the big one since it wasn't in a package but i think it was a size 1. The smaller ones were Gamakatsu 3/0's. A 4/0 seems really small, but maybe I just sucked at setting the hook ha

A 4/0 is actually the largest of the ones you mentioned and a size 1 would be really small. From large to small it would be 4/0 ,3/0, 2/0, 1/0, 1, 2 and so on.

fishmounter
01-20-2013, 04:55 PM
CrownTown- A red 4/0 Gamakatsu EWG is perfect. Just make sure that you "skin hook" the Fat Ika on the side of the bait. You don't want to have the hook going through the thick body of that bait or you will miss many hook sets. I use 8 and 10 lb test mono also. Gives a better spiral and sink than a heavier line does.