PDA

View Full Version : Trolling or B&W??

elfarolitojr03
01-17-2013, 10:40 PM
Hello FNN people's,

Was having a conversation with my buddy today and the topic was b&w vs trolling. He said trolling was better in the early morning and I said b&w was better early morning. What do you guys think is better early morning?

etucker1959
01-18-2013, 05:34 AM
Hello FNN people's,

Was having a conversation with my buddy today and the topic was b&w vs trolling. He said trolling was better in the early morning and I said b&w was better early morning. What do you guys think is better early morning?

Trolling for me is so much better then B&W, as long as you got the right stuff to troll. The 1,000,000 questions is, WHAT IS THE RIGHT STUFF TO TROLL.

DynoDan
01-18-2013, 06:49 AM
The way it works for me is b&w in the morning till it dies off then troll on! Then b&w in the afternoon. But I'm not the best troller. I have a feeling this post is going to be trolles on! Haha!

5150fishn
01-18-2013, 10:19 AM
I have way better luck trolling in the morning! But then again I prefer to troll all day long or at least until my arms won't paddle my yak any more. Lol It is all about knowing what lures to use and when to use them. After that find a pattern and run with it.

califishing
01-18-2013, 04:58 PM
i think it is to start with the troll and if it does not work go with the bait and wait,but for me and my wife,we are going for the troll all day, cause it payed off for her in the christmas derby with a first place,so we are going for it,good luck to you all.....se you there...califishing

sandtrout
01-23-2013, 10:18 PM
I would say trolling hands down. you're covering more water! B&W is great if a school of fish are coming by your bait but when trolling, you're bring the lures to them. I've had great luck just "top lining" with spinners, spoons, and plugs in the morning. when the sun gets higher I'll either add some split shot to the line or go to a lead core rod. From there I'd be metering fish and going with a downrigger.

For B&W, I work as much water as I can with a spoon or spinner (and lately, a plastic worm or minijig) but then the crowd starts to lock you in...after that you're just fishing the water between your rods but, even then, I'll "work" the rods. One with a cast-a-bubble that I move by giving the reel handle a turn every 2 minutes and the other with an egg sinker that I'll move more often...usually by lifting the rod tip up a few inches, reel down to take the slack out (and to allow the bait to rise to it's top position) and lift the rod tip again, etc. Then there's things to fish under a bobber (which I'm also working ever so slowly). I don't really B&W much, I'm always working the water (even if it is slowly) and moving if there's no action. I've learned that a skunk can last all day in one location, might as well work it and then move on. but that's just my opinion.