PDA

View Full Version : Casting LC further??

incxalx3
01-17-2013, 12:44 PM
How can i cast my LC 110 further?! Im using a 6'8 Medium/heavy LureWT(1/4-3/4oz fast action Shimano Rod. I am tieing them straight to 50 pound braided power pro.

Also, i was thinking about buying a phenix x-12 Would this rod cast the LC further?

GhettoBasster
01-17-2013, 01:31 PM
http://youtu.be/vrDKYH6x36o

Fysher
01-17-2013, 01:53 PM
How can i cast my LC 110 further?! Im using a 6'8 Medium/heavy LureWT(1/4-3/4oz fast action Shimano Rod. I am tieing them straight to 50 pound braided power pro.

Also, i was thinking about buying a phenix x-12 Would this rod cast the LC further?

Get a longer rod, at least 7 1/2 long. Lower your braid down to 35lb.

Why is it that you're using 50lb braid with the LC? afraid of loosing the lure?

I usually fish 35lb braid straight or I'll use 15lb fluoro and an eight foot rod.

incxalx3
01-17-2013, 02:08 PM
yeah, im too scared to lose the LC

Lightline
01-17-2013, 06:41 PM
yeah, im too scared to lose the LC

I agree it very painful to loose a lc. You get angry and sad all at the same time.

To date lost 4 halibut lures, 3 factory tuned lucky craft and a shimano halibut lure

jaggerbub
01-17-2013, 07:01 PM
I use 15 lb powerpro and haven't lost one yet when tied directly onto the braid. I have however lost a couple with a mono-topshot. My rod of choice for tossing the lc is a loomis 8'6 steelhead rod mated with a 3000 stradic ci4. It's a lightweight combo and can cast a mile.

I think you need a longer rod and maybe bump down your spectra. You should be able to get some distance if you adjust a bit. Good luck.

incxalx3
01-17-2013, 07:16 PM
@jaggerbub should i downgrade to 30 pound power pro?

Which Way Out
01-17-2013, 07:27 PM
I use 12 to 15 mono on my set ups. My fav is the new Seeker Pro React 7' 11" with the Shinmano 300e. Granted I am not throwing into heavy cover very often. I can even say I didn't lose 1 LC all year. Sure I have lost a few due mostly some sort of trash in the past. If you are fishing mostly sandy beaches you should not have any real issues. But if you flirt with danger such as Rocks/Boilers, you are sure to lose one now and then.
Not to sure how the LC would even react to the use of 50lb braid, but I would think it would hinder the movement somewhat, if not a lot.

I guess if losing an LC is a real concern, you might want to reserve it till the bite is more consistent with warmer water temps. Right now it might be a good idea to try a Drop Shot set up. Its a much slower presentation and can be very effective.

For the life of me I can't remember to maker of these hooks. But you can get them at most good tackle shops. They great for drop shot set up.
http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx340/WhichWayOut/dropshothook-1.jpg

Good luck
WWO

jaggerbub
01-17-2013, 07:31 PM
I say go as low as you feel comfortable. The lower you go, the farther you will throw. Like I said on the other post, I personally use 15 power pro. Are you afraid of snapping off from throwing or breaking off on the fight? If it's casting you are worried about, just check before casting that the line isn't twisted around the top eye of your rod. If you are worried about beaking off on a fish, just use a good reel and make sure you set your drag correctly. Nobody likes to loose a lc, but it's gonna happen.

Which Way Out
01-17-2013, 07:33 PM
http://youtu.be/vrDKYH6x36o

That's not surf fishing. More like Deep Sea fishing....LOL
WWO

DockRat
01-18-2013, 05:40 AM
Try tossing Krocs too.

I use 15 lb powerpro and haven't lost one yet when tied directly onto the braid. I have however lost a couple with a mono-topshot. My rod of choice for tossing the lc is a loomis 8'6 steelhead rod mated with a 3000 stradic ci4. It's a lightweight combo and can cast a mile.

That about like my set up.
15 lb Spiderwire, 8' 6" Fenwick, Shimano Symetre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e0BiFAc6Uo

simijab
01-18-2013, 08:32 AM
I've always wondered what is a good distance I use a 9' steal head rod with a stradic with 12 lb floro and it still seems to put me just a little shy of where I want to be

skunked4life
01-18-2013, 09:45 AM
Hi incxalx3. First, I am by no means an expert on the LC. But since October of 2012, I have fished nothing but the LC except for one isolated incident. Here are my impressions as to your question:

1. What are you targeting that requires 50 pound braid? If you are surf fishing, this is overkill. I have never used that word, "overkill," to describe any equipment used in any setting except for line test settings. You want to use a $300 rod and $300 reel, great! But 50lb braid IS overkill. I use 15 pound braid. That is pretty much as heavy as I would ever go in the surf. I have seen people on these boards pull up 30+ inch beasts on anything from 6lb mono to 12lb flouro. Trust me, its funner.

2. I lost 5 LC's in the span of four months. All were because of human error or snapped off of a top shot of flouro and I was too lazy to re-tie after multiple wind knots or nicks. Simply put, straight braid works for me and should work for you, just NOT 50lb test for the LC.

3. None of my catches, which include halibut and SNGF, have been a result from casting out more than 50 yards. LCFM is a suspending crankbait which is very effective in 2-3 foot shallows. Go to their website and read the application for the LCFM. This is not a waxwing lure or trolling lure designed to bring out schools of tuna from the depths of the deep blue. They are surf crankbaits for shallow depths. Go to Shimano Japan website or troll these forums and you will see videos of people using simlar crankbaits in the surf. They are not casting the length of a football field.

4. I have never used a rod longer than 7 and a half feet. First, it is a pain to transport. Second, most of the fish that I target are right in front of me. Use what works. Unfortunately, you will not know what works for you until you try them.

5. When I first started here last year, Wingnut told me that there was a wealth of knowledge here and to do my research. I did. It looks like you are doing this too. But at some point, you must just go out there and try it out. You will lose LC's. That is a given. You will feel like **** that you lost a $20 lure. But, when you catch your first butt or piggy perch, you won't be thinking about those lost LC's, you will be thinking about the prize and increasing your learning curve.

Don't worry, be happy. Go get em!

Cadillyak
01-18-2013, 10:36 AM
I use 12 to 15 mono on my set ups. My fav is the new Seeker Pro React 7' 11" with the Shinmano 300e. Granted I am not throwing into heavy cover very often. I can even say I didn't lose 1 LC all year. Sure I have lost a few due mostly some sort of trash in the past. If you are fishing mostly sandy beaches you should not have any real issues. But if you flirt with danger such as Rocks/Boilers, you are sure to lose one now and then.
Not to sure how the LC would even react to the use of 50lb braid, but I would think it would hinder the movement somewhat, if not a lot.

I guess if losing an LC is a real concern, you might want to reserve it till the bite is more consistent with warmer water temps. Right now it might be a good idea to try a Drop Shot set up. Its a much slower presentation and can be very effective.

For the life of me I can't remember to maker of these hooks. But you can get them at most good tackle shops. They great for drop shot set up.
http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx340/WhichWayOut/dropshothook-1.jpg

Good luck
WWO

Name of the company is StandOut that make those hooks.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Standout_Drop_Shot_Hook_Black_Nickel/descpage-STADDSH.html

Fysher
01-18-2013, 12:15 PM
Daiwa DB minnows are a good alternative to the LC if you're afraid to loose the LC. Cheaper than the LC, catches fish but from my experience, I've caught more quality fish on the LC though.

Even with 50lb braid, you can still loose the LC. What I've noticed is that you don't have to really cast the LC that far (depending what area you are fishing) because I've caught flatties 10ft away from me. Invest in waders if you don't have one yet and wade out, that'll help you cast your LC in areas that you won't be able to if landlocked.

Agree with Which Way Out, wait for the water to warm up a bit, that way you'll have a better chance at landing that legal butt.

Good luck to you out there.

koifish
01-18-2013, 07:53 PM
I use 30lbs daiwa samurai, little expensive but cast far. like someone said, don't need to cast far.

Lightline
01-18-2013, 09:14 PM
Daiwa DB minnows are a good alternative to the LC if you're afraid to loose the LC. Cheaper than the LC, catches fish but from my experience, I've caught more quality fish on the LC though.

Even with 50lb braid, you can still loose the LC. What I've noticed is that you don't have to really cast the LC that far (depending what area you are fishing) because I've caught flatties 10ft away from me. Invest in waders if you don't have one yet and wade out, that'll help you cast your LC in areas that you won't be able to if landlocked.

Agree with Which Way Out, wait for the water to warm up a bit, that way you'll have a better chance at landing that legal butt.

Good luck to you out there.

The safest and farthest way to cast a lucky craft is on spinning gear and get the 130 size LC It's a little heavier.

I also put 40-65 braid on my bait-caster. I find the heavier the braid the easier to manage. And when you get a birds nest the birdsnets gets undone quicker and also I had thinner braid on my bait cast before and the Line went into the gap of the spool and reel frame and tore up or nicked the braid therefore cutting it and on my next or next few case you see my lc fly threw the air.

If you want further distance and casting far is fun, then I would go to 20 -30 lb braid on a 8'6 - 11' salmon steal head rod.

The daiwa db minnows are a little lighter then the daiwa salt minnow. But their the same size.

In the first picture

The one on the bottom is a daiwa salt minnow 133 mm (5 1/4)
Second one to the bottom is a daiwa salt minnow. 110 (4 1/3)

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae156/yellowbrickroad_54/Lures/IMG_1199_zps6da9527f.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae156/yellowbrickroad_54/Lures/IMG_1209_zps69a259ac.jpg