PDA

View Full Version : Quality vs Quantity

the dude
01-16-2013, 06:45 AM
After a heated discussion with a few fishing buds over what we expect in a pay to fish trout lake we were divided. Here's the question would you rather have quality the 2-3 pound trout (that will mean less fish per stock) or would you rather see smaller fish in the 1-1 3/4 pounds (more fish per stock) Remember that we have some major economic factor's and sustainability issues. fish of larger size take longer to produce and more $ to raise fish of a smaller size have a quicker turnover ratio and should be cheaper to produce and more fish going into the lake. I myself would be willing to catch smaller trout if that would in turn mean a higher catch ratio meaning limit style fishing vs 1 or 2 or maybe no fish that day. What do you think!

Cadillyak
01-16-2013, 06:58 AM
Im a quality guy myself. I'll take two 3lbers over ten stockers any day. I would also rather chase toads all day than limit out with stockers. Just my personal preference.

Sublime-Steve
01-16-2013, 07:26 AM
Guess that all depends on the kind of fishing you like to do.. I love catching all size fish. so id be happy either way.

paintsn
01-16-2013, 08:28 AM
bigger is better! Quality for me!!

etucker1959
01-16-2013, 08:29 AM
I read all the responses and everyone is right!!!! For a pay lake to stay in business they need happy customers. So they need alot of smaller fish so everyone can catch something and a few trophies for the people who want them. For a brief period at SARL and Corona lake they did just that. We would spend our mornings filling out our limits on smaller fish and then go trolling for the big ones. It worked out so well, I would average going to the lakes about 6 times a month during trout season for three years straight. Then they thought more people would be happy with teenage fish then trophies. I myself didn't like that, but this year they said their going back to their old ways of stocking. Now at LNL for the rest of season, their going to put in alot of quality trout. Now let's see what kind of response their going to get from their customers. I went last week to LNL and we caught 5 quality tailwalkers and I can't wait to go back. In talking to my friends this week about where they want to go fishing, LNL is not their first choice, their talking about fishing SARL. So in their minds quantity is more important then quality.

the dude
01-16-2013, 10:49 AM
That's just how are discussion started I remember those day's at SARL man those were good times!
I read all the responses and everyone is right!!!! For a pay lake to stay in business they need happy customers. So they need alot of smaller fish so everyone can catch something and a few trophies for the people who want them. For a brief period at SARL and Corona lake they did just that. We would spend our mornings filling out our limits on smaller fish and then go trolling for the big ones. It worked out so well, I would average going to the lakes about 6 times a month during trout season for three years straight. Then they thought more people would be happy with teenage fish then trophies. I myself didn't like that, but this year they said their going back to their old ways of stocking. Now at LNL for the rest of season, their going to put in alot of quality trout. Now let's see what kind of response their going to get from their customers. I went last week to LNL and we caught 5 quality tailwalkers and I can't wait to go back. In talking to my friends this week about where they want to go fishing, LNL is not their first choice, their talking about fishing SARL. So in their minds quantity is more important then quality.

the dude
01-16-2013, 10:52 AM
A man after my own heart!
Guess that all depends on the kind of fishing you like to do.. I love catching all size fish. so id be happy either way.

flyhigh123
01-16-2013, 12:29 PM
for us that fish often, and know how to catch fish, then we as a majority would want quality, however as a business, their goal is to get as many paying people, which in part is quantity. They want people to say to their friends how many fish they caught, and post on face book etc.

We hardcore fishers are just a small part of their pool of customers.